IGNORED

Who has better weekend golf coverage: NBC or CBS?

zwlee12
Note: This thread is 3990 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Who has better weekend golf coverage: NBC or CBS?

• NBC
    • CBS

I prefer CBS, just because Jim Nantz is an absolute genius

909 D2 Driver 9.5°

904F 3 Wood 15°

Idea Pro Black 9031 Hybrid 20°

3-PW CG4 Tour Irons

X-Forged Vintage Wedge 52°

X-Forged Vintage Wedge 59°

Method Core 3i Putter

I don't have terribly strong opinions about either group of guys, but I guess if I had to vote, I'd go with NBC and Johnny Miller, Dan Hicks, etc.

Jim Nantz is a little bit too ... poetic, I guess is the word I'm looking for.  But I don't mind them either.  (Totally unrelated:  I was at the 2008 US Open at Torrey Pines and wandering through the gift shop - which covered the entire 1st fairway of the north course - and walked past a line of people who, it turns out, were buying a copy of Jim Nantz' book and were waiting to have it signed.  Jim Nantz was wearing slacks, a blazer and flip flops.  This doesn't mean anything, just felt like sharing.)

I don't even mind Curtis Strange because it means the British Open is on. :)

• Upvote 1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

I don't have terribly strong opinions about either group of guys, but I guess if I had to vote, I'd go with NBC and Johnny Miller, Dan Hicks, etc.

Jim Nantz is a little bit too ... poetic, I guess is the word I'm looking for.  But I don't mind them either.  (Totally unrelated:  I was at the 2008 US Open at Torrey Pines and wandering through the gift shop - which covered the entire 1st fairway of the north course - and walked past a line of people who, it turns out, were buying a copy of Jim Nantz' book and were waiting to have it signed.  Jim Nantz was wearing slacks, a blazer and flip flops.  This doesn't mean anything, just felt like sharing.)

I don't even mind Curtis Strange because it means the British Open is on. :)

And just like that, I have become a Jim Nantz fan!

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Generally, I prefer NBC. I like Nantz as the main play-by-play guy (aside from at The Masters, I can't stand him at Augusta), but the guys they surround Hicks with at NBC seem to be better, although Faldo has grown on me. NBC has the luxury of a better tie-in with Golf Channel.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

They are about the same in my book, Nantz puts me to sleep and Miller annoys me.  I'd give the nod to NBC as jamo stated because of their tie-in to the GC.

Joe Paradiso

For me, it's the commercials. Feels like there are fewer commercials during the Masters than during the US Open and the streaming is a little better as well. I'll give CBS the advantage for the Masters. The PGA I count as a regular event in terms of broadcast coverage quality. ABC is dead last for the Open.

Regular events it is a wash, too many commercials either way but CBS does more slow motion swings.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

For me, it's the commercials. Feels like there are fewer commercials during the Masters than during the US Open and the streaming is a little better as well. I'll give CBS the advantage for the Masters. The PGA I count as a regular event in terms of broadcast coverage quality. ABC is dead last for the Open. Regular events it is a wash, too many commercials either way but CBS does more slow motion swings.

But the commercials thing is Augusta's call, not CBS' ... The rest of the year they're the same as the others.

I prefer CBS, not a Johnny Miller fan, never was a fan of his when he played and I guess it carried over to his announcing.

Craig 

Yeah, wanna make 14 dollars the hard way?

Only person I really like on NBC is Roger Maltbie. But on CBS there's Faherty, McCord, Nantz & Faldo - a bit more eccentricity, but makes the telecast more colorful.

• Upvote 1

I prefer NBC over CBS, but could watch either one. I would like to see Feherty jump over to NBC (also considering his show is on Golf Channel/NBC), but I still struggle to see him mixed with Johnny Miller.

Best Regards,
Ryan

In the :ogio: bag:
:nike: VR-S Covert Tour Driver 10.5 :nike: VR-S Covert Tour 3W :titleist: 712U 21*
:nike: VR Pro Blades 4-PW :vokey: Vokeys 52*, 56* & 60* :scotty_cameron: Studio Select Newport 2
:leupold:
:true_linkswear: 

NBC earns a slight edge for on-air talent, but not because NBC's team is better. CBS airs far more tournaments than NBC does, and Jim Nantz's does a lot more for his network than Dan Hicks does for his (although now that Hicks is the voice of Notre Dame football, that may be changing). The consequence is that CBS needs to give its guys a few weeks off during the season, and frankly, the network really suffers when Nantz and/or Faldo aren't anchoring the broadcast. NBC's crew stays pretty much the same year-round, so they don't have the same drop-off in quality. On the other hand, CBS' production values are way better than NBC's, and the comparison isn't close. Therefore, CBS wins.

In my UnderArmour Links stand bag...

Driver: '07 Burner 9.5° (stiff graphite shaft)
Woods: SasQuatch 17° 4-Wood (stiff graphite shaft)
Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

From a technical standpoint, I think the HD cameras used by CBS are superior to those used by NBC. They just make for a better broadcast IMHO.It wasn't too long ago that NBC tried to mix standard-def cameras with HD cameras, something that many people noticed. Insofar as the announcers, I think that CBS has a wider range of personalities covering the events, and the added humor makes for a more interesting broadcast.

Generally, I prefer NBC. I like Nantz as the main play-by-play guy (aside from at The Masters, I can't stand him at Augusta), but the guys they surround Hicks with at NBC seem to be better, although Faldo has grown on me. NBC has the luxury of a better tie-in with Golf Channel.

I should point out that one thing I do prefer ESPN for is that they deliver their SD feed in 16:9, while CBS and NBC both deliver their golf coverage in 4:3 over SD. (I know this is CBS vs. NBC, but there's one deficit that both have.)

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Originally Posted by zipazoid

Only person I really like on NBC is Roger Maltbie. But on CBS there's Faherty, McCord, Nantz & Faldo - a bit more eccentricity, but makes the telecast more colorful.

+1

I agree with this and for some reason, CBS comes in much better on my TV than my hi-def NBC station. NBC shows a choppy ball flight where the ball has a tail and skips while CBS's broadcast is flawless.

On a side note, I thought it was my TV at first because the first golf broadcast I watched on it was on NBC. Then, CBS debunked my concern and I love my Sharp AQUOS LED now. 60" of pure golf heaven... when I am actually allowed to watch it!

Poll added

They're pretty close imo, depends on my mood for who I like more.  Even though Johnny Miller says some crazy things I do find him entertaining.  Peter Kostis' Biz Hub swing analysis is horrible so I voted for NBC.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Note: This thread is 3990 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!