IGNORED

Moving Contact Lower on Driver Face

Note: This thread is 3990 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Update:

I took the club with me to my lesson the other day, with a pro who works at the golf academy where i got my edel putter fitting.  He put the club on some machines and reported back that he got the loft of my driver, which says 10.5 on the hosel, in neutral position is 11.9 degrees.  Unfortunately I forgot my wrench and we couldn't test the closed and open positions.

Do you think I should take this back?  My ballflight is noticably higher than my 10.5* nike driver.  Its pretty annoying.  DO I have grounds to be pissed at the retailer / callaway?  I spent $300 on this driver and I feel a little swindled.  Or is this normal with the new, adjustable drivers?

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by johnclayton1982

Update:

I took the club with me to my lesson the other day, with a pro who works at the golf academy where i got my edel putter fitting.  He put the club on some machines and reported back that he got the loft of my driver, which says 10.5 on the hosel, in neutral position is 11.9 degrees.  Unfortunately I forgot my wrench and we couldn't test the closed and open positions.

Do you think I should take this back?  My ballflight is noticably higher than my 10.5* nike driver.  Its pretty annoying.  DO I have grounds to be pissed at the retailer / callaway?  I spent $300 on this driver and I feel a little swindled.  Or is this normal with the new, adjustable drivers?

I really don't think you have much ground to stand on in terms of being able to return the driver for a full refund based on the "false advertisement" of the degree of the driver's loft. However, if this works for you, please let me know so that I can have you return mine. Daddy's due for an upgrade!

In all seriousness, this is just "the way" of the industry. There's really no reason to be pissed off though. The truth is that amateur and casual golfers typically do require more loft. The manufacturer's are giving us that loft without being overly blatant about it... kind of like hiding vegetables under a healthy dose of ketchup when you feed a toddler.

Where did you get it, Rodger Dunn has a 90 day return love it or bring it back, I think Golf Smith is 30 day return.

Or call Callaway and see what they will do, at the very least they may just exchange it for you once you explain the deal?

Had a friend crack his driver they took it back it took a like finesse.

Mike M.

Irons G30's 4-U.

Hybrid's Callaway X2Hot 3 and 4.

Vokey Wedges SM5 Tour Chrome, 54*, 58*.

Putter Greyhawk, G25 4 wood, G25 Driver.

Quote:
In all seriousness, this is just "the way" of the industry. There's really no reason to be pissed off though. The truth is that amateur and casual golfers typically do require more loft. The manufacturer's are giving us that loft without being overly blatant about it... kind of like hiding vegetables under a healthy dose of ketchup when you feed a toddler.

Right, but I don't.  My shots are going way too high.  I went to a clubfitter and got my specs 3 years ago (loft, shaft flex, etc...).  I got my Callaway driver to those specs, including a custom shaft.  Now I find out its a different loft altogether.  You don't think I have grounds to be upset?

How much does 1.3 degrees matter in terms of hitting skyballs?

When I tee up my Nike 10.5 I had before this one (which is non-adjustable and is 10.3 on the loft machine) I hit half-fly ball, half line-drive.  With my Callaway I hit fly balls.  Theres about a 10 foot heigh difference (which is pretty significant).  Same shaft in each.  Same grip in each.

I hit them both about the same distance though.  The Callaway theoretically has a hotter face since the Nike is from 2003.

See, I wouldn't have a problem or be "pissed off" if the salesman had said "listen, these lofts are within 1.5 degress of stated loft." or there is something printed with it that says "this might vary by 1.5 degrees of loft" or something.  There was no notice.  I bought the driver that has "10.5" stamped on it and I expected it to be very close to 10.5.  I don't see what I'm wrong in feeling that way.

I got it at Edwin Watts.  I am going to go there Friday afternoon to see what they are willing to do.

Right, but I don't.  My shots are going way too high.  I went to a clubfitter and got my specs 3 years ago (loft, shaft flex, etc...).  I got my Callaway driver to those specs, including a custom shaft.  Now I find out its a different loft altogether.  You don't think I have grounds to be upset?

How much does 1.3 degrees matter in terms of hitting skyballs?

When I tee up my Nike 10.5 I had before this one (which is non-adjustable and is 10.3 on the loft machine) I hit half-fly ball, half line-drive.  With my Callaway I hit fly balls.  Theres about a 10 foot heigh difference (which is pretty significant).  Same shaft in each.  Same grip in each.

I hit them both about the same distance though.  The Callaway theoretically has a hotter face since the Nike is from 2003.

See, I wouldn't have a problem or be "pissed off" if the salesman had said "listen, these lofts are within 1.5 degress of stated loft." or there is something printed with it that says "this might vary by 1.5 degrees of loft" or something.  There was no notice.  I bought the driver that has "10.5" stamped on it and I expected it to be very close to 10.5.  I don't see what I'm wrong in feeling that way.

I got it at Edwin Watts.  I am going to go there Friday afternoon to see what they are willing to

I'm just generalizing like the manufacturers do. I've spoken with a Callaway rep on the phone in the past who told me that there is a +/- 1.5° tolerance in their drivers. I informed them that a tolerance is not a "mystery" and is utilized during the manufacturing process. The drivers should be checked and stamped accordingly once they are within the given tolerance. The rep came down off of their "defend the company" standpoint and simply said "Listen man, this is just how it is. I am sorry, but this is what every manufacturer is doing - period.".

I definitely hope you have good luck and find a driver that works for you.

PS: Is 10 ft. of height with the driver at our handicap level that critical? I would not believe so and if anything, I would assume that it is offering more consistent yardage on average. When you first said "skyball", I pictured 99% carry with little to no roll-out and a ball that comes to rest behind the ball mark. 1.5° is significant for a scratch golfer, but in all honestly... in my opinion.... 10ft. of increased height off the driver is not detrimental to a 8-10hc golfer.

On the good swings its not that big a deal.  The problem is that my swing flaw with the driver (I've started about a milion threads trying to fix this flaw) is hitting down too much - I lose my spine angle and hit the ball too high losing tons of distance.  I'm fairly straight with it but that has always been my problem - to the point where early on playing I would sometimes hit nothing but tee and the ball would go - literally - straight up.

Its sorta like a hooker finding out his face isn't neutral but 2* closed.  I feel like I have much less margin for error on skyballs with a 11* driver than a 10* driver.  Maybe this is flawed thinking, but I feel like it makes my skyballs much worse than they would be with the proper loft.

It may or may not matter - I'm just peev'd that they didn't tell me any of this when I bought the thing.  I could understand .2 or .4 or even .8.  1.4 seems like alot to be off by.

On the good swings its not that big a deal.  The problem is that my swing flaw with the driver (I've started about a milion threads trying to fix this flaw) is hitting down too much - I lose my spine angle and hit the ball too high losing tons of distance.  I'm fairly straight with it but that has always been my problem - to the point where early on playing I would sometimes hit nothing but tee and the ball would go - literally - straight up.

Its sorta like a hooker finding out his face isn't neutral but 2* closed.  I feel like I have much less margin for error on skyballs with a 11* driver than a 10* driver.  Maybe this is flawed thinking, but I feel like it makes my skyballs much worse than they would be with the proper loft.

It may or may not matter - I'm just peev'd that they didn't tell me any of this when I bought the thing.  I could understand .2 or .4 or even .8.  1.4 seems like alot to be off by.

I understand the frustration for sure and thanks for not taking my last post out of context, I really was not trying to be an ass but I was trying to better understand the issue in more detail.

Make sure to keep us posted on the driver and your swing as well, at least I would be interested to know about your progress.

Well that brings me to a question since we will be looking at new drivers.

If possible should we all ways have them checked prior to purchasing?

I agree johnclayton if you are buying a 10.5 driver you should expect a 10.5 driver or close to it, I have never heard that industry standards are a +/- 1.5 off before. If that is the way it is this is good to know.

Do you think it is this way with all brands out on the market?

Mike M.

Irons G30's 4-U.

Hybrid's Callaway X2Hot 3 and 4.

Vokey Wedges SM5 Tour Chrome, 54*, 58*.

Putter Greyhawk, G25 4 wood, G25 Driver.

OK, went to Edwin Watts this morning during lunch.  Basically, they told me they would be willing to do nothing.  When pressed they told me there is nothing they can do about it.  Since I am a regular, good customer, the gentleman i deal with there told me he could give me $300 store credit for the driver, but thats it.

I got absolutely no explanation on why the loft was different beyond "I don't know, thats how they make them".  I also see their point that its not really *them* - they got a 10.5 from callaway and sold it to me.  Its probably unreasonable for them to put their entire inventory on a loft machine before they sell it.

The problem also is that I hit a bunch of other drivers while shopping for this one and there isn't one I'd switch it for, including the R1.  SO I think I will probably just keep it.  The ballflight is too high but it is also accurate and I'm playing well with it.

I'm going to go to the range and try teeing up a bit lower and see if that helps.  It has helped in the past.

I'm not sure what I am going to do about (probably nothing).  Just still a bit steamed.

I have two calls into Callaway with no results.  Hopefully that will help as well.

Note: This thread is 3990 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!