IGNORED

Etiquette Question - Driving Range

ShawnPennington
Note: This thread is 4010 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Ive looked around, and asked around and havent been able to find an answer.....

But I was at the driving range today putting a good workout in, when another golfer in stall in front of me (Im right handed) started hitting balls.  He was left handed.

My question is, is it bad etiquette to swing away without concern of where in his setup/swing the opposing golfer is?  It wasnt a distraction for me.... but i kinda of felt like he was getting annoyed and thrown off by having my club head in his vision, and seeing  my body movement in front of him during my swings..  Every now and again he would wait til I finished hitting a ball before hitting his.....

So i guess the question is, is it proper etiquette to take turns in a situation like that?

Nope.

I think it's nice to space yourself out . .ie, not grab the stall right next to somebody if there are tons of open stalls available.  But if there is somebody in the stall next to me, I just ignore them.  Think of it as a chance to work on your focus.

If I have to hit next to someone, I will usually alternate shots with them.  Gives me a chance to focus on what I'm doing and also not get into a habit of banging balls.

If they are one of those who bang balls, I'll just go ahead and hit(doesn't bother me to have someone else swinging beside me) at my own pace.

My philosophy on golf "We're not doing rocket science, here."

as far as range etiquette...don't curse like a sailor, don't have your phone going crazy, and don't try to chat up everyone else out there :)

My philosophy on golf "We're not doing rocket science, here."

No.....I am almost always next to someone on the range...your ballstriking should be all about your focus and concentration....and so should his.....actually, a very good focus tool imo that can apply to the course if there is noise/stuff going on around you when playing a shot

"Getting paired with you is the equivalent to a two-stroke penalty to your playing competitors"  -- Sean O'Hair to Rory Sabbatini (Zurich Classic, 2011)

First you said he came and stood next to you so it was not your problem and if he was looking frustrated, it was probably due to his shots. Second it becomes white noise unless he is being unsafe.

• Upvote 1

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Paradox

as far as range etiquette...don't curse like a sailor, don't have your phone going crazy, and don't try to chat up everyone else out there :)

Those are all pretty common occurrences where I practice, unfortunately.

The only etiquette at the range in my opinion is not being obnoxious, as said earlier, don't be chatting with everyone or have your phone blow up!

When it comes to alternating shots, I don't see the sense in this since more then likely each golfer is working on something different.  A more expierenced golfer may be taking longer and analyzing his/her swing whereas a beginning golfer is trying to gain consistency.  Alternating shots won't necessarily help either golfer out.

What anyone else is doing doesn't bother me at all. In fact I usually forget they are even there. If I happen to notice that they are really striping the ball I might sort of alternate shots just so I can watch their mechanics and see if they are doing something I might be able to use.

Other than that the only guy I notice is the one that acts like he only has one valuable tee and goes out beyond the ropes (and in danger of getting hit by a shanked ball) to retrieve his tee after every shot. I notice that because I think he's an idiot that will probably learn the hard way sooner or later.

BTW one of the guys in our usual Saturday game plays with one of those plastic tees with a spring and bristles. Problem is that he acts like it is made out of gold and it's light blue and the bristles are clear and it's hard to see in the grass. He always wants to take the time to find it and sometimes it takes a while. The rest of us have gotten to the point that we try to watch his tee every time instead of watching his ball. He's not a slow player because he's the best player on the course and hits a bad shot about 2 times a year (very slight hyperbole) but it still gets a little old looking for that tee when we need to be looking for our golf balls.

Originally Posted by ShawnPennington

Ive looked around, and asked around and havent been able to find an answer.....

But I was at the driving range today putting a good workout in, when another golfer in stall in front of me (Im right handed) started hitting balls.  He was left handed.

My question is, is it bad etiquette to swing away without concern of where in his setup/swing the opposing golfer is?  It wasnt a distraction for me.... but i kinda of felt like he was getting annoyed and thrown off by having my club head in his vision, and seeing  my body movement in front of him during my swings..  Every now and again he would wait til I finished hitting a ball before hitting his.....

So i guess the question is, is it proper etiquette to take turns in a situation like that?

That's his problem unless you were doing something not within bounds of proper etiquette. You were there first. He chose the stall. He should move if there's something annoying him.

People are strange - you get all sorts of weird behavior in range stalls.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Our range isn't well marked, low budget with nothing more than an area marked out by ropes and some bag stands. It's not uncommon to get a lot of people squeezed in there on a busy day. Usually the lefties head for the spaces at the furthest edge of either side. If there isn't enough room to put at least 5 yds or so between me and the next person I head for the practice bunker and work from there. The most difficult thing is finding decent grass to hit from. You can chip from behind it or the side. The ball beater types are never in the bunker.

Dave :-)

This came up in my last range trip. A Lefty showed up in the stall next to mine. I nodded to him and made an attempt at some levity about now I have a mirror to train with. He took it pretty well and we had a chuckle. FORTUNATELY- he was a decent swinger. Not just blasting away, but taking his time. I could see him adjusting and waiting for me, and I would adjust and wait for him. OR, at least we wouldn't be making any real sudden movements at the wrong time. That worked out pretty well. I was about 1/2-3/4 of the way through my bucket when he showed up so it wasn't too bad. There ARE dividers between the stalls so I usually don't have to worry about a shanker pass. It only gives me pause when a lefty shows up in my peripheral vision. With the dividers it's less of a concern than if it was an open range. I'm there to work on my stroke and I focus on that. A righty? I barely even notice you're there.

Originally Posted by Rick Martin

One of my biggest peeves is when one guy needs to start hitting several feet or more BEHIND the line of golfers - always worry about him shaking a ball into someone else

THIS!!!  Hearing some guy behind me hitting balls is a bit disconcerting..

Driver:  Callaway Diablo Octane iMix 11.5*
Fairway: Cobra Baffler Rail F 3W & 7W
Irons:  Wilson Ci
Wedges:  Acer XB (52* & 56*)
Putter:  Cleveland Classic #10 with Winn Jumbo Pistol Grip

Originally Posted by Rick Martin

One of my biggest peeves is when one guy needs to start hitting several feet or more BEHIND the line of golfers - always worry about him shaking a ball into someone else

Originally Posted by Topper

THIS!!!  Hearing some guy behind me hitting balls is a bit disconcerting..

I have the opposite issue. One weekdays the range uses mats. Someone will always step out in front to hit driver or just hit off the grass. Then I'm worried I am going to shank one and hit them. I never shank like that anymore but you know how your mind will do the thing you are thinking about even if you DON'T want to do it. I have to just stop and either move or take a breather until they are done out there.

Originally Posted by hendog

I have the opposite issue. One weekdays the range uses mats. Someone will always step out in front to hit driver or just hit off the grass. Then I'm worried I am going to shank one and hit them. I never shank like that anymore but you know how your mind will do the thing you are thinking about even if you DON'T want to do it. I have to just stop and either move or take a breather until they are done out there.

Same here, or we get some guys that decide they are going to run out on the range grass to grab some mis-hit balls.

Joe Paradiso

Note: This thread is 4010 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!