Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
davidnz

Degree loft for a Hybrid (high handicapper)

6 posts in this topic

Hi everyone,

This is my first posting so I'm hoping to get some advice about buying hybrids/rescue clubs.

About myself: I started playing 25 years ago but have become enthusiastic about the game after moving to New Zealand. As a result, I'm currently a high handicapper although I manage to get a few pars or birdies every time I play. My main challenge is hitting woods off the fairway in bad lies, rough, etc. Instead of using my 4 iron or 3 or 5 woods, my friend suggested I get a hybrid to get a comparable distance (like a wood) but easier to swing with its shorter club length (like an iron), especially for those bad lies. My tendency now is to hit a safe shot back on to the fairway.

Club options: After reading a few Internet articles and visiting a few shops, I've got my eye on 2-3 hybrids. #1 option is Cleveland Mashie for its glide rail and lighter shaft. #2 is Ping Rapture V2/G10/G15/G20 or Callaway Razr X HL for their forgiveness/ease of getting a high trajectory. #3 TaylorMade Rocketballz because of the reviews and its white crown. I've also read great reviews about other hybrids (Adams, Cobra T-Rail, Mizuno JPX-800, Titlelist 910h, Diablo Edge, Nike, Nickent, Bobby Jones) but they are either hard to find, too expensive, not appropriate for high handicappers, look more like a wood than a fat iron, or I simply don't like the look of the crown/alignment aid at address.

Question: Although I think I would be happy with any of the 3 options listed above (i.e., I just need to play more and have fun), my question is which degree loft (23 or 26/27) should I start off with (to help me with those bad lies)? A local salesperson recommended a 23 degree loft (considering the clubs that I already have) and then add clubs as needed. What do you think?

David

Want to get rid of this advertisement? Sign up (or log in) today! It's free!

The Mashie is nice.  If you can get past the looks of it (Im not a fan of the tumbled finish), its a great hybrid that performs well.  As for loft, it depends what you are going to use it for.  For me, my hybrid replaces my 3-iron, so for me, a hybrid that is 19*-21* is what I look for.

i would get an adams hybrid, imo. adams are easy to hit and specialize in hybrids and fairway woods.

[INDENT][/INDENT]Look for a Nickent 3dx. You can find them on line for under $50. Very easy to hit and a great value. If you're looking to replace your 4-iron 23* would probably be your best bet.....

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Thanks everyone for the replies. I've been trying to find used Adams/Nickent hybrids so it seems like I'll just keep my eye out for one that has the loft and shaft flex that I need.

I can understand the comment about Mashie's appearance. Maybe it's like buying a car - it's not only about how well it works but how it looks and everyone has different tastes. I was leaning toward the Mashie for its lighter shaft (59g) to promote higher swing speeds/higher trajectory but I guess at my level I won't be able to take advantage of this so much.

I'll start off by looking for a 23* hybrid to replace my 4i and go from there.

I don't know enough about the TM line (Burner, R11, RBZ, etc) but does anyone know if a larger club head size (130 cc) for a hybrid or whether the size of the face plate (bigger sweet spot) would help higher handicappers?

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Want to join this community?

We'd love to have you!

• 2016 TST Partners

GAME Golf
    PING Golf
    Lowest Score Wins
    • Post Your GAME Golf Rounds
      http://www.gamegolf.com/player/coachjimsc/round/938898 League night. Played well for the most part. Made a nice putt for par on 3 then missed a short putt for birdie on 4. Just trying to torque the left knee on every shot. Lag putting is improving.
    • Presidential Race 2016
      The Independent vote went very strong for Romney in '12, and he still lost.  Given that, and everything you cited, along with other information I've read, I believe the country is right around 47% each side with only about 6% truly variable.  So again, half and half is a fair representation.  The Libertarian candidate could skew that this election but that would be an anomaly.
    • My Swing (Hardspoon)
      Good practice session today.  I reviewed the grip thread one more time before I went out, and made that a point of emphasis before every shot. My focus was to continue to groove the in-to-out path I've been working on, but to start to really work on proper clubface angle.  My tendency right now (when I take the "correct" grip) is to leave the face open at impact, leading to straight pushes and push-fades. It's not easy, but I did have some success, starting with slow-motion swings and working up to (what felt like) 80-90%.  I focused on using the move that @iacas explained in Erie (hand rotation, not a "wrist-flip") to get the face squared up.  I was able to hit some nice push-draws and straight draws with both the irons and driver...not consistently, but it was encouraging. I also bought a tripod adapter for my iPhone so I can try some 240fps recordings of my swing this weekend.    
    • Signing an Incorrect Scorecard
      It matters. Please read the last paragraph of my original post (the one that explains why I'm tracking a bogus HI). I'm using an online Handicap tracker. My HI is not legitimate on a couple levels. I don't belong to a club and I play the vast majority of my rounds by myself. That's why I don't show a HI in my profile. It's only important that I play by the rules because I want an honest assessment of my progress. I may never play in a tournament, but if I do, I'd like to be bit more familiar with how these things are done. Just because I suck at golf doesn't mean I can try to learn the rules.
    • Hitting behind the ball and making deep divots...
      I took a look at your my swing thread - looks like you've gotten some good advice there and made some solid improvements.  FWIW - I posted this thread here called "What is the Secret of the Golf Swing" . .and I said that, for me, it was realizing how not to aim at the ball.  This "realization" helped me fix a lot of the things I see in your swing.  I'd been told lots and lots of times - don't hit at the ball, swing through to the target . but it didn't make sense to me . .until one day it suddenly did.  Anyway - while I suffered from this misconception - I had a variety of bad shots.  On my good days I could hit it pretty good.  On my bad days anything could happen . .I could slice it, hit it fat, pull hook it, top it, skull it, etc.  Anyway - it's not as easy as just "don't hit at the ball" . .or, as I think of it.  .don't aim "the energy of your swing at the back of the ball".   Speaking just for myself, it took a lot of practice and lessons to get to where I could "suddenly have this realization".  But . .in the meantime - you are hitting it fat (or whatever) because you're making a lot of corrections for some fundamentals that are off.  And, for sure, fatigue would have a lot to do with it.  The more fatigued you are, the less likely you'll be to make this corrections successfully .  If you get lessons or sign up for evolvr or just keep posting in the myswing thread - you can get the (slow) way forward - it's by focusing on one thing and then the next and then the next and yada yada.  I couldn't say what your "next thing" to work on is, though.     
  • TST Blog Entries

• Images

• Today's Birthdays

1. obwan
      obwan
      (70 years old)
    2. rkim291968
      rkim291968
      (54 years old)
  • Blog Entries