IGNORED

Backspin Troubles

Satch
Note: This thread is 3991 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

The greens are hard where I play but I'm having trouble getting my ball to check. Just wanted to see if I could get some tips on how to get backspin around the green maybe 10 yards and in. Thanks for the comments.

In the Bag:

Driver:  10.5 Superfast Burner 2.0

3 Wood:  15 Fairway Launcher

4 Hybrid:  22 Rescue

4-PW Irons:  RocketBallz Irons

Wedges:  588 Reg

Putter:  Backstryke Marxman

Balls:  Z-Star

Glove:  Weathersof

Have the same issue, have backed it up landing on the fringe, can back up a whiffle ball, can see my ball with massive spin on it, but it just pauses and trickles forward on the greens. Started a thread on it last week. I think it is the greens themselves, but got some sarcasm for suggesting that.

Spin is created by clean ball contact and swing speed. If you are 10 yards from the green you are better off to hit a flop shot to keep it from rolling out to much.

5 Simple Keys® Associate

"Golf is not a game of great shots. It's a game of the most accurate misses.

The people who win make the smallest mistakes." - Gene Littler

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

To generate enough spin to have the ball stop dead or backup, you need a lot of clubhead speed. Too much clubhead speed to only hit the ball 10 yards.

On short shots the angle that the ball lands at has more effect than the amount of spin. A ball that drops more vertically will land "softer" which basically just means that more ball speed is lost in the impact with the green.

So if there isn't enough room to land it shorter to allow for more run out, hit it higher.

• Upvote 1

10 yds and in AND have it check up and stop? toughest shot there is for me. Like most shots you need a crisp downward strike. I use a 7,8 or 9 iron depending on lie and distance. But that is if the pin is back middle or back. IF the pin is up front I would putt it if the grass is smooth enough, or try and flop a P or S wedge to get it over the grass and have not roll too far.

Good point Mordon. Even though I can see it spinning fast, always seem like forward MO overcame the spin. Angle probably explains it better,even with a 60*. Short shot not hit hard enough for spin to overcome angle + forward MO. Good answer !

Can't really check a 10 yd shot. I would either open a sw a little and hit a semi flop or just bump a little square face sw about 5 yd and let it run.

dak4n6

Originally Posted by Blueman

...I think it is the greens themselves, but got some sarcasm for suggesting that.

The greens at my home course are rock-hard and won't even hold a full approach shot, let alone what little spin you could manage to put on a 10-yard chip shot.  Even single-digit 'cappers playing tour balls can't back it up on those greens - I've seen it with my own eyes.  As far as hitting a flop, I definitely wouldn't have the balls to try that on a 10-yard chip - risk/reward is off the charts unless you're really, really good at flop shots.  Miss it by a little bit and you're 60 yards over the green and in way worse trouble than if you'd just hit a bump and run in the first place.

Mac

WITB:
Driver: Ping G30 (12*)
FW:  Ping K15 (3W, 5W)
Hybrids: Ping K15 (3H, 5H)
Irons: Ping K15 (6-UW)

Wedges: Cleveland 588 RTX CB (54*, 58*)

Putter: Ping Scottsdale w/ SS Slim 3.0

Ball: Bridgestone e6

Ours built on hardened black clay. Flops are great if you have confidence in them. I had practiced them a ton and could put them within 10 ft just about every time.Not so much now, focused on driving for awhile. Now I can crush it down the middle only to shank an iron before finally chipping and putting to save par,bogey and sometimes worse.

I used to be slice into the woods, take a drop, hit a nice iron, hit a flop to 6 ft,wonder why it didnt roll back with the massive spin I put on it,  Make putt for bogey or worse.

10 yds and in AND have it check up and stop? toughest shot there is for me. Like most shots you need a crisp downward strike. I use a 7,8 or 9 iron depending on lie and distance. But that is if the pin is back middle or back. IF the pin is up front I would putt it if the grass is smooth enough, or try and flop a P or S wedge to get it over the grass and have not roll too far.

How on earth do you hit a 7i with a crisp downward strike that only goes 10 yards?

Driver: 10.5* callaway Razr Hawk Tour - 350 yards(usually into the wind, it can be windy here. at least 400 with a little wind behind me)

Hybrids: 2 and 3 callaway Hybrid razr tour (312 and 287 respectively)

Irons: 3i-10i callaway forged standard length(278, 263, 250, 235, 221, 213, 201, 190)

Wedges: callaway jaws cc 52* 12 approach, 56* 16 sand, 60* 13 lob (0-185)

Odyssey Black tour #9 putter(5 ft, i'm always at least within 5 feet on my approach shot)

I wonder who on this forum is a PGA tour pro, disguised as a normal player.. 

2013: play in the US amateur qualifier

Try using the flat stick if the greens are that hard. Or play bump n run shots.

Callaway Org14 Sport w/ Clicgear Cart:

Callaway X 460 9* - Callaway X 15* - TaylorMade 19*/21* Hybrid - Callaway Diablo Forged 4-PW - Titleist 50/56/60 - Rife Cayman Brac - Bridgestone xFIXx/B330-RX - TRUE Linkswear Supporter!

Over the years, much heated discussion over this topic.

Above answers are good - you can't generate sufficient spin for 10 yards.

LW, indirect contact, position of shaft at address, be flippy, proper grind for your swing, urethane cover on ball... see quickie pitching video thread

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

bump and run or putt it on hard greens is what i was learned.

Dirver: Mizuno JPX 825 9,5 Fujikura Orochi Red Eye Stiff 65 g.
3 wood: Mizuno JPX 825 14 Fujikura Orochi Red Eye Stiff 75 g.
Hybrid: Mizuno JPX 825 18 Fujikura Orochi Red Eye Stiff 85 g. 
Irons: Mizuno MP 59 3 / PW KBS Tour stiff shaft ( Golf Pride Niion )
Wedges: Taylormade ATV Wedges 52 and 58 ( Golf Pride Niion )
putter: Taylormade ghost series 770 35 inch ( Super Stroke slim 3.0 )
Balls: Taylormade TP 5

Originally Posted by tomvk77

bump and run or putt it on hard greens is what i was learned.

Yes, but we're talking 10 yards - I can see a Texas Wedge (putter) if you're in a tight area. If you're in greenside rough, bump and run will ruuuuuuun.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Originally Posted by Mr. Desmond

Yes, but we're talking 10 yards - I can see a Texas Wedge (putter) if you're in a tight area. If you're in greenside rough, bump and run will ruuuuuuun.

conditions as you are talking about a wedge will do the same, to hard to get grip on them

Dirver: Mizuno JPX 825 9,5 Fujikura Orochi Red Eye Stiff 65 g.
3 wood: Mizuno JPX 825 14 Fujikura Orochi Red Eye Stiff 75 g.
Hybrid: Mizuno JPX 825 18 Fujikura Orochi Red Eye Stiff 85 g. 
Irons: Mizuno MP 59 3 / PW KBS Tour stiff shaft ( Golf Pride Niion )
Wedges: Taylormade ATV Wedges 52 and 58 ( Golf Pride Niion )
putter: Taylormade ghost series 770 35 inch ( Super Stroke slim 3.0 )
Balls: Taylormade TP 5

conditions as you are talking about a wedge will do the same, to hard to get grip on them

True You take a putter out of green side rough and I will open a lob wedge a bit and make indirect contact with a flippy pitch

How on earth do you hit a 7i with a crisp downward strike that only goes 10 yards?

That's if there is 10 yds TO the green with some room to the pin. As I mentioned- if the pin is front, it would be a putter or semi flop. But I also said that it's one of the toughest shot for me. It doesn't always work, either... It needs the right lie and a near perfect strike, but isn't impossible since I have pulled off that little "fizz check" type of shot (as I have heard it referred to- I think it was Seve) in the past.

Note: This thread is 3991 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!