IGNORED

How long of a layoff from Tennis Elbow

Yukari
Note: This thread is 3976 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

For those of you who have suffered tennis elbow (outside the elbow as opposed to golfer's elbow which is inside the elbow), how long did you layoff from golf for it to completely heal?

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I use to be bothered with tennis elbow but found from trial and error that medication was causing the problem.   I stopped taking the cholesterol medication and the problem disappeared.   It may not be that easy for you.  If you get a tennis elbow brace, that will mask the pain.   The brace is a velcro sleeve that fits just below the elbow and puts pressure on the tendon.   It worked great when I was suffering from tennis elbow.

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

I had it last summer, golf related not tennis. It lingered for several weeks but just disappeared. I didn't rest it or anything but wore a brace for a few weeks, on and off the course. I've been practicing hard and playing as often as weather permits through the winter and so far no pain.

Dave :-)

I had tennis elbow earlier this year... Back in mid February it really flared up - right around the time I had my wisdom teeth pulled (Valentines Day).

I was a jackass and was trying to do some swing speed drills while I was recovering from my wisdom teeth (I was stuck inside and wanted to play golf - but couldn't so I resorted to trying to swing a club shaft with no head and tweaked my elbow). I've only played 13 times in 2013... And only 5 times in the last two months with no practice in between rounds.  The pain is gone as of today, and has been gone for approximately 4wks.

I've continued to rest my elbow - and haven't really worked out at the gym or done any physical activities outside of playing golf once a week.

Before the injury, I was practicing a ton - and playing a lot - as well as hitting the gym.  So while I didn't completely stop playing since the original injury, I reduced the amount of activity and stress I was putting on my arm/tendon which helped significantly. I'm at the point where I'm close to getting back into the gym now that my elbow has healed - so that I can really start building my strength back up into my forearm/tricep and bicep which has been lost.

Getting old sucks.

Originally Posted by Beachcomber

I had tennis elbow earlier this year... Back in mid February it really flared up - right around the time I had my wisdom teeth pulled (Valentines Day).

I was a jackass and was trying to do some swing speed drills while I was recovering from my wisdom teeth (I was stuck inside and wanted to play golf - but couldn't so I resorted to trying to swing a club shaft with no head and tweaked my elbow). I've only played 13 times in 2013... And only 5 times in the last two months with no practice in between rounds.  The pain is gone as of today, and has been gone for approximately 4wks.

I've continued to rest my elbow - and haven't really worked out at the gym or done any physical activities outside of playing golf once a week.

Before the injury, I was practicing a ton - and playing a lot - as well as hitting the gym.  So while I didn't completely stop playing since the original injury, I reduced the amount of activity and stress I was putting on my arm/tendon which helped significantly.  I'm at the point where I'm close to getting back into the gym now that my elbow has healed - so that I can really start building my strength back up into my forearm/tricep and bicep which has been lost.

Getting old sucks.

Actually, I think you are mixing up your ailments.  Pretty sure it was tennis v*g**a that you had.

• Upvote 1

Actually, I think you are mixing up your ailments.  Pretty sure it was tennis v*g**a that you had. :bugout:

Can I buy a vowel? :-)

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

I'm suffering from tendonitis right now - not from golf.  I haven't been able to play golf in quite a while.  The ortho and PT both say it's because I haven't laid off enough.  I continue to go to the gym and perform other activities that aggravate the elbow.  I would suggest you lay off or possible face a longer, slower recovery like me.  I have the elbow band.  I've had multiple cortizone shots.  I have spent over 6 months doing PT.  I've taken every anti-inflamatory known to man.  There is no substitute for rest.

I will mention that a new supplement called FitFlex has provided dramatic results toward relieving the pain and leading me back to the gym.  The supplements are sold at GNC stores and should cost you about $60 for a 30 day supply.  I've also added Tumeric to my daily pill popping regimen.  Tumeric is supposed to be a natural anti-inflamatory.

Finally, just because you can mask the pain DOESN'T mean you've cured the problem.  Pain is merely an indicator.  Tennis elbow is a condition of micro tears at the joint.  Once the pain is alleviated, I suggest you spend at least a week, if not two, in the gym working on strengthening the elbow.  In the end, if you do something that makes it hurt, STOP.

good luck

Driver :tmade: R1

Fairwaywood :tmade: Rocketballz Stage 2 15*

Hybrids :ping: i15 20* and 23* Hybrids

Irons :mizuno: MP64 4 - PW

Wedges :edel: 54* and 58* 

Putter :edel: 

Golf Ball :titleist: Pro V1 

6 months???  Wow!  That would drive me crazy.

Mine was due to weight training, not from golf.

I have been resting (no weight training or golf) for about 4 weeks.  Just doing cardio workouts for now.  The pain has subsided significantly, but it is not 100%, yet.

I am just itching to get back in the gym for weight training.

Don

I hear ya.  There are lots of exercises you can do with light weight and rubber bands to strengthen the small muscles around the joint.  Afterwards, be sure to stretch real good.

Good luck.

Driver :tmade: R1

Fairwaywood :tmade: Rocketballz Stage 2 15*

Hybrids :ping: i15 20* and 23* Hybrids

Irons :mizuno: MP64 4 - PW

Wedges :edel: 54* and 58* 

Putter :edel: 

Golf Ball :titleist: Pro V1 

• 1 month later...

Update:  After 7 weeks of resting my tennis elbow (caused by weight lifting)--and that means NO GOLF or ANY LIFTING--it finally got better.  But it wasn't until after 10 weeks, that I felt safe enough to start lifting again--but no more dumb bells, literally and figuratively.

Also after 8 weeks, I have been playing golf with an elbow strap (just in case...).

So far, so good.  I'll keep my fingers crossed.

So there you have it.  A minimum of 7 weeks of complete rest seemingly gets rid of the tennis elbow, at least for moi.

Don

Note: This thread is 3976 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!