IGNORED

Hooks Galore! HELP!!!

Note: This thread is 3899 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator

Mind the pressure point in the left armpit. Keep your left arm attached to your torso.

It probably isn't due to spinning your hips too fast, btw.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Hey Iacas when you say keep the left arm on the torso, the arm should not ever come off of the body? I say this because it often looks like it is just the left armpit.

• Administrator
Originally Posted by jd924

Hey Iacas when you say keep the left arm on the torso, the arm should not ever come off of the body? I say this because it often looks like it is just the left armpit.

Just maintain pressure in the left armpit, particularly during the downswing and early in the follow-through. Don't let the left arm fly off the chest. Fold up your shirt in your left armpit and squeeze it during the downswing.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I would think your arms being faster than your hips would be causing more hooks than your hips being too fast. I agree with the arms attached to body comment. It will keep things more in sync.

I would think your arms being faster than your hips would be causing more hooks than your hips being too fast. I agree with the arms attached to body comment. It will keep things more in sync.

+1. Towards the last few holes (when I walk 18) hooks start creeping in because I'm fatigued and stop turning (which if course brings back my GD slice when I over compensate). Listen to Erik, stay connected. And do a lot of core work in the gym.

I would start with doing a google search for drills. A lot of the sites are just junk, but if you can find a video from a pro then it may not help you but at least the points are valid. I'm not sure if this link will work correctly, but YouTube has some decent drills:

A hook I fight myself....I know something's. Make sure ball position isnot to far back. Another thing that causes a hook can be not shifting your weight..to the front.hanging back and releasing will cause a hook. Taking it back inside to much. I read that adding weight on the toe will fight a hook..also if you swing from the top the ole right hand wants to get in there...X-tra stiff shaft can help if you swing from the top

Frank Urban Zeller fought a hook. He addressed the ball on the heel of his driver to remind him of his swing path. Try tweaking your grip. Hit some fades. And work with someone with a video set up

My sister's a hooker, it's terrible.

• Upvote 1

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

I definitely will, I'll try to go to the range when I can... But honestly alot of people say you can become really good from hooking... Because its more of advanced problem... Well that's what I hear... I'm optimistic xD

I've been looking at drills and I think what's happening is I'm flipping my wrists because 1) I'm all arms not enough rotation 2) I'm coming in way to inside So that results in me flipping to get it square which is usually a draw or hook Tell me if this is true!

I've battled a pull hook for about 2 seasons and a pro just fixed me up the other week. I can't believe how straight my balls are now.  I'm even slicing balls sometimes, which I haven't seen in quite a while!  Here's how he fixed me:

• I was setting up with a very strong grip
  • I was setting up with my hands in front of the ball and low. I now keep my left arm straight and ground my club more upright.  I was resting the heel of my club into the turf.  My setup is much more pleasing to the eye.
  • My take away was very outside.  I now take the club away much more inside.  I think about hitting my right hip with my right elbow.

Hope this helps.

Note: This thread is 3899 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!