IGNORED

Looking for a "straight" ball with green side spin

Note: This thread is 3930 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Preferably a cheaper ball too (under $25). I'm a high handicapper due in major part to an out-of-control driver monster slice and the dreaded 3 -putt. Given my driver slice, I decided on Bridgestone e6...and let me tell you that you can definitely slice the sh*t out of that ball too. LOL. So I really wasn't getting any help on that end with the e6. What was more disappointing was that there was zero stopping and significant role on all iron/wedge shots except short, very high pitches. So, since my driver swing is broken (getting lessons for that) I'd like to get a ball that would still be "forgiving", yet offer better spin and stopping power on approach shots which I can have some control over. Suggestions?

My bag...under construction

Driver -  AMP 10.5 degree

3W - :adams: Speedline Fast 12

3H  Baffler T-Rail

Irons - 4-PW  G20s

Wedges -  G20 54* SW and an old  Bazooka 60* LW that will be replaced next

Putter -  Scottsdale Y-Worry

with regards to good ball for the 25 dollar range that offers a bit of softness id suggest the top flight gamer tours. 25 bucks at dicks sporting goods...i dont think any ball will fix the monster slice though

Thanks for the recommendation. Definitely not expecting a ball to fix my slice. I know it's a swing flaw. Since I can slice anything off the tee, I'd like to have more control around the green.

3H  Baffler T-Rail

Irons - 4-PW  G20s

What about Nike PD Soft or Srixon Soft?

3H  Baffler T-Rail

Irons - 4-PW  G20s

Bridgestone E5.  There isnt another ball in that price range that compares in terms of spin.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

E6 is new this year and is supposed to spin more around the greens but still play straight on full shots. Have not tried it but it might be worth seeing if there is enough spin around the green to meet your needs. The old one is a straight ball and plays well in the wind and it is long. The E5 is not designed with the same side-spin-defeating concept.

For a few bucks more, I went from E6 to Callaway Chrome. Still no super spinner around the greens but more spin and feel than the old E6. I hope to play the B330 RX this year if it ever warms up (no reason to play a normal ball when it is 45* out -- I am using Srixon Soft-Feel in the cold because it is very low compression). The RX is the best combo of straight in wind, spin around greens, and feel off putter that I've found. I get the new 2012 model on eBay for $35-$36 delivered.

Russ - Student of the Moe Norman swing as taught by the pros at - http://moenormangolf.com

Titleist 910 D3 8.5* w/ Project X shaft/ Titleist 910F 15* w/ Project X shaft

Cobra Baffler 20* & 23* hybrids with Accra hybrid shafts

Mizuno MP-53 irons 5Iron-PW AeroTech i95 shafts stiff and soft stepped once/Mizuno MP T-11 50.6/56.10/MP T10 60*

Seemore PCB putter with SuperStroke 3.0

Srixon 2012 Z-Star yellow balls/ Iomic Sticky 2.3, X-Evolution grips/Titleist Lightweight Cart Bag---

extra/alternate clubs: Mizunos JPX-800 Pro 5-GW with Project X 5.0 soft-stepped shafts

• 4 weeks later...
Originally Posted by Desert

Preferably a cheaper ball too (under $25). I'm a high handicapper due in major part to an out-of-control driver monster slice and the dreaded 3 -putt. Given my driver slice, I decided on Bridgestone e6...and let me tell you that you can definitely slice the sh*t out of that ball too. LOL. So I really wasn't getting any help on that end with the e6. What was more disappointing was that there was zero stopping and significant role on all iron/wedge shots except short, very high pitches. So, since my driver swing is broken (getting lessons for that) I'd like to get a ball that would still be "forgiving", yet offer better spin and stopping power on approach shots which I can have some control over. Suggestions?

Have you ever recorded your swing?  It is quite helpful, especially when slicing to record your swing and see if you are swinging out to in, or not closing your club face enough. or transfering weight etc etc etc.  I got my swing recorded by an instructor, who helped me analyze it.  You could also do this at home if you have a smartphone or camcorder for free, but having someone who understands the swing so well go over it with you is priceless!!! That is how I am combatting my slice right now, and sometimes even hook it!

Bag:

DriverG25 or  XCG5 11.5* 3++ fairway wood

3w:  XCG6 15*

*5w: XCG6 18* (out if I bag my 3-iron)

Irons: Rocketbladez tour  3-pw(47*) (I sometimes bag the 3 iron but usually the 5w) 

Wedges:   SM-4  52*, 56*, 60* 

Putter:  Versa #7 (white on black)

let me tell you I can relate to this haha. Obviously the swing is way more important than the ball though

What about Nike PD Soft or Srixon Soft?

The Srixon "soft-feel" has been a favorite of mine for a few years.  For the exact reasons you're asking about.  Also, I've hardly purchased NEW golf balls for years.  Don't know if you Ebay, but you can find some great golf balls at great prices.  Been doing it for a LONG time with no probs

Not surprised you had the experience you did with the e6. It serves it's purpose, but it's clearly not for you.

It's hard to find one that really does both completely... Urethane covers will stay on the green like crazy, but the same mechanism that allows the ball to "stick" to the face of your club and create backspin may also cause the ball to "stick" to your driver and cause major slices...

In other words: NEVER play a proV1 at this point in your life :).

Anyway, I'm totally biased, but I am loving the xFIXx to death. It's just an "all around" ball. The only ones I've lost have been due to truly poor shots, not slices off the driver. It's a super cheap ball, give it a shot.

taylormade.gif Burner Superfast 1.0: 10.5* Driver, 15* 3-wood

adams.gif a5OS Hybrid/Irons Set: 3h-5h, 6-PW

adams.gif "Tom Watson Classic" Wedges: 52*, 56*, 60*
taylormade.gif Est 79 TM-770 Putter, "Fontana" Pattern

xFIXx

no such thing as a forgiving golf ball. There are some that might be less backspin off the driver, but no golf ball will limit your left or rights by any significant number.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Good discussion guys. Since starting this thread I've tried Callaway Warbirds (total rocks...hate them) and Wilson Staff 50 Elites. I really liked the Wilsons. You're all right that no ball is slice-proof off the driver, so I'm not judging balls based off the tee. However for mid-irons down to putter, I have to say I like the Wilsons the best. Still want to try Srixon Soft, Nike PD Soft, Callaway Diablo, and Titelist DT Solo.

3H  Baffler T-Rail

Irons - 4-PW  G20s

Good discussion guys. Since starting this thread I've tried Callaway Warbirds (total rocks...hate them) and Wilson Staff 50 Elites. I really liked the Wilsons. You're all right that no ball is slice-proof off the driver, so I'm not judging balls based off the tee. However for mid-irons down to putter, I have to say I like the Wilsons the best. Still want to try Srixon Soft, Nike PD Soft, Callaway Diablo, and Titelist DT Solo.

I ordered a pack of 50 of these off lostgolfballs.com

Feels bad man

So the general consensus is that urethane covers are the way to go for stopping better on greens and that no ball prevents a slice off the tee much?  I think my next ball to try is the e5

wilson dx 3 soft

Dirver: Mizuno JPX 825 9,5 Fujikura Orochi Red Eye Stiff 65 g.
3 wood: Mizuno JPX 825 14 Fujikura Orochi Red Eye Stiff 75 g.
Hybrid: Mizuno JPX 825 18 Fujikura Orochi Red Eye Stiff 85 g. 
Irons: Mizuno MP 59 3 / PW KBS Tour stiff shaft ( Golf Pride Niion )
Wedges: Taylormade ATV Wedges 52 and 58 ( Golf Pride Niion )
putter: Taylormade ghost series 770 35 inch ( Super Stroke slim 3.0 )
Balls: Taylormade TP 5

Note: This thread is 3930 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!