IGNORED

Replacement for Taylormade TP3

Note: This thread is 3999 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I've been playing the TP3 balls since last season but I know they've taken them out of the line and have a bunch of new options. Which ball in their line is the closest to a direct replacement. Before the TP3 I was playing hex chrome's and e6. I loved the chromes but I hate the price... The TP3 played the closest feel wise to me at a significantly lower cost. Are there other options I should look at in the $20-25/dozen price point?

• 2 weeks later...
Pretty sure the replacement ball is RocketBallz urethane 3 piece. You might want to try Bridgestone e5, a 2 piece ball with urethane cover. June edition of Golf Digest has a comparison of balls across all price points. e5 spin rates are similar to many higher priced tour balls. Maybe worth taking a look, lots of other suggestions as well in your price point, give or take a couple bucks.

In my Sun Mountain 14 Way Stand Bag:

Driver - Ping G30 10.5* : Fairway - Ping G30 18* : Hybrids - Titleist 915H 21* & 915 H 24* : Irons - Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 5 - GW : Wedges, Vokey 54.14, Vokey 58.12 : Putter - Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 or Ping Craz-E-R  : Ball - Bridgestone B330RX, Cart - Cliqgear 3.5

TM is kind of driving me crazy with their golf balls.  Yes, the rocketnutz ball is the new replacement for the TP3.  But also every year they change their golf balls.  On the top end they had the black and red balls, the Penta, then the Penta TP5, and now Lethal .  It just gets a bit old after a while.  I still play the Penta but it gets hard to keep up with all the changes.  I will probably switch at some point to a ball that stays around for a while.  If you want a good replacement for theTP3 that will stick around the e5 is a good option.

Nate

:pxg:(10.5) :benhogan:(4W):titleist:U500(3UI) :benhogan: Icon(4-PW) :edel:(52/58)

:odyssey:Putter :snell: MTB Black  

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by cipher

TM is kind of driving me crazy with their golf balls.  Yes, the rocketnutz ball is the new replacement for the TP3.  But also every year they change their golf balls.  On the top end they had the black and red balls, the Penta, then the Penta TP5, and now Lethal .  It just gets a bit old after a while.  I still play the Penta but it gets hard to keep up with all the changes.  I will probably switch at some point to a ball that stays around for a while.  If you want a good replacement for theTP3 that will stick around the e5 is a good option.

They are a marketing company that makes golf equipment.  I'd expect the RocketBalls and Lethal names to stick around for a while as those are in line with their new branding efforts.

Joe Paradiso

Originally Posted by newtogolf

They are a marketing company that makes golf equipment.  I'd expect the RocketBalls and Lethal names to stick around for a while as those are in line with their new branding efforts.

But wasn't Taylormade and Gary Adams the company and owner who first manufactured a metal club?

I'd say TM is a golf company that markets well. They don't do everything well (i.e., wedges, irons), or push the envelope to the edge, but they are right behind it in terms of technology. Occasionally, they get bold - white clubs, tatooed, and moveable weighted clubs - but they have real science behind it. They make a splash. Now just because some people don't buy into the science does not mean it doesn't exist. Some people refuse to see it or don't like its looks ... but the science, even if exaggerated, still exists.

I prefer Callaway and what they do with their technology - I believe they take it from the Japanese and expand on it, ie., cup face technology in woods, springier (thinner) iron faces - it's proven technology. I hope they expand cup face to the driver line.

And the replacement for the TP3 - the RBZ Urethane - supposedly, a bit less spin, more launch than TP3. Some mentioned the e5 - I've tried the original, and the latest - it's just okay - a little firmish, some say it is short. For a few dollars more, on sale, I like the HEX Chrome if you want launch and more spin, and spin around the greens (urethane). Haven't tried the TP3, although it was selling for peanuts recently on tgw.com.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

I don't play them regularly but I do like the Bridgestone e6 in that price range. For me, they have a decent feel around the green and are fairly long off the tee without being too pricey.

Note: This thread is 3999 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!