IGNORED

Is the driving range a waste of time?

Note: This thread is 3140 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

@Rich1212, this is a great routine... for you. But I was struggling last year to even enjoy the game anymore, spending most my time just ball hunting. So my past 2 year range routine has been focused on clubs that get me in remote vicinity of the green. Now I can enjoy a round and focus on scoring. I rarely ever keep score btw, just determine my relativity to par and keep a proper score occasionally. I do keep a mental log of really good shots and work toward making them repeatable.

P.s. there are other people there? ;)

P.p.s. I never use mats, haven't seen any on the course so...

@zero , I'm glad for you but just because that's your experience doesn't mean that holds for everyone else. No need to rub everyone's face in it, even w/a winky face.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Quote:
The driving range is not a waste of time. However, there is a lot of time wasted on the driving range.  If you want to play this game well, 75 percent of the balls you hit should be with wedges in your hand. pitching, gap, sand, and lob.  You must know exactly how far each will go using 4 different back swing lengths.  Using your hands as the back swing distance indicator, the 4 are, pocket high, belt high, halfway between belt and shoulder, and shoulder.  Bear in mind, these are easy gentle swings.  Once you learn this and can do them each time, you can dial in wedge shots and pitch shots that will land within a yard of each other.  Just make a log of how far each back swing goes with each club.  Once you have this, on the course you get the yardage to the hole, look at your book to see what club and back swing you need to land the ball and roll out close to the hole.  You will find overlaps in the distance between wedges.  This is good. It will allow you to asses what type of shot you need.  Just pick the club for a higher flight and softer landing for a front pin or maybe a club that has a swing that will cover the same yardage for a lower shot that rolls out more for a back pin placement.  You dont score with Drivers and 4 irons, you score with wedges and putters.

Last year I spent a lot of time determining the distances just like this. I use 7 oçlock, and 10 oçlock swing positions with SW AW PW and 9. For example my SW will carry the ball 6 of my paces; the Aw at 7 oçlock will carry 10.etc,

@zero, I'm glad for you but just because that's your experience doesn't mean that holds for everyone else. No need to rub everyone's face in it, even w/a winky face.

sorry, wasn't my intention.

- adam -

Routine: work, eat, golf, sleep, repeat

Clubs: (All Used TaylorMade) Burner Superfast Driver, JetSpeed 3&5 FW, Rescue Hybrid, Burner 2.0 Irons 5-AW, ATV Wedge 56*, White Ghost blade putter

[QUOTE name="nevets88" url="/t/66521/is-the-driving-range-a-waste-of-time/72#post_1199136"] @zero , I'm glad for you but just because that's your experience doesn't mean that holds for everyone else. No need to rub everyone's face in it, even w/a winky face.  [/QUOTE] sorry, wasn't my intention.

Sorry for the misinterpretation on my part. Finding a decent place to practice is a sore spot for me so I can be a little sensitive.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Sorry for the misinterpretation on my part. Finding a decent place to practice is a sore spot for me so I can be a little sensitive.

I hear you man, it can be rough. I just found some peace with it over time, spot to the far right, hat on, look at nothing but my ball, my target, and my shot, try to block out all else. If I talk to someone it's not while I'm practicing.

- adam -

Routine: work, eat, golf, sleep, repeat

Clubs: (All Used TaylorMade) Burner Superfast Driver, JetSpeed 3&5 FW, Rescue Hybrid, Burner 2.0 Irons 5-AW, ATV Wedge 56*, White Ghost blade putter

Used the range this year to approx distance per club, build up some muscle memory and as the year progressed fix swing mistakes as they appeared on the course

Also tried to spend more time putting and chipping on range greens

Note: This thread is 3140 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!