IGNORED

3 wood & 3 hybrid or 3 wood & 4 hybrid

keller19xc
Note: This thread is 3968 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by keller19xc

Which would you choose and why?

Well since most 3 hybrids are designed to replace a 3 iron I would take the 3 wood and 3 hybrid. A 3 wood and 4 hybrid would be too much gap and would basically be doing away with my 3 iron (or a substitute) completely.

Of course another option that would be better for me on the course I usually play is to have a very strong 3 hybrid that would go farther than my 3 iron and drop the lob wedge, but keep the 3 and 4 irons.

On some courses I carry a five wood and drop the lob wedge and on some courses I drop the 5 wood and carry the lob wedge.

(And I have made a mistake on a course I've never played before and guessed wrong).

Played Limestone Springs without a lob wedge the first time I played there and I'll never to that again.

I don't really know my distances with my 3 wood, I don't have a 4 iron either and I hit my 5 180 so I'm kinda looking to fill that gap. My 5 is 23* the 4H is 21* and I seem to hit it very far at a golf store, would this change anything considering I jump from a 5 to a 3 wood?

I don't really know my distances with my 3 wood, I don't have a 4 iron either and I hit my 5 180 so I'm kinda looking to fill that gap.

My 5 is 23* the 4H is 21* and I seem to hit it very far at a golf store, would this change anything considering I jump from a 5 to a 3 wood?

My guess is that it would work fine.

The 3h or the 4h?

Both are in the gap between 3w and i5 if you hit them all ok, so its up to you to decide if there is only 1 slot available. I got them both and they fill the gap between I5 and 3w nicely.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

For what it's worth, I have driver, a 3wood, 3hybrid ,4hybrid 5i-pw ,52turned to 50deg, 54deg and 60 deg wedges. This combination seems to work very well. I also have a 4i but it usually stays out of the bag, but if its in ill take out 4hybrid. I seem to have a nice consistent gap thru all my clubs with this setup. I have been told to get a 5wood, but I don't see the advantage.

R11s driver 

R11s 3 wood

Rescue 11 3  18*

Rescue 11 4  21*

MP-59 5-pw

ATV wedge 54* 60*

Metal-X 2 ball putter

3.0 buggy

DX-3 ball

FLX glove

Shoes

Towel

Oakley antix sunglasses 

solar umbrella 

My 3W goes about 210

3H goes about 190

4H goes about 175

I carry all 3....so the answer is 3 wood & 3 hybrid & 4 hybrid

and yes, I realize I'm a short knocker

What kind of hybrids do you have? Are they the traditional hybrids, with shaft length between 3W and 3i, or are the iron-replacement hybrids (which go same distance as 3i and 4i)?

If they are traditional hybrids, you might consider carrying 3W, 3H and 4H. But you won't know your "gaps" until you figure out how far your 3W and your hybrids go.

You haven't told us your club types and mix, or how far you hit anything other than your 5i.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I do not carry a 3 wood at all.  I have a 17* - 2 hybrid that takes its place, a 4 hybrid, and a 5 hybrid.  I have never been able to hit a fairway wood ever but I can hit the crap out of a hybrid.

In my bag:

Driver: Covert Performance
Super Hybrid : :nike: 2H - 17* Covert Performance

Irons: :nike:Covert 4I - PW

Wedges: :nike:X3X Wedges (52*, 56*, 60*)

Putter: Method Core 1i

Ball: :nike:One RZN

Upgrading Always.

3 wood and 3 hybrid would be similar to 3 wood 5 wood I would think.

I carry 3 wood, 5 wood, 4 hybrid, 5 hybrid. 3 hybrid would be too long and clash with 5 wood and I love my 5 wood. 4 hybrid filled a gap and 5 hybrid replaced 4 iron. I had no 3 iron so I guess the 4 hybrid kinda replaced that in the sequence.

• 2 weeks later...
Team , All u need is a driver and a 3 & 4 hy. And 5-lw . I wrote a post to you a minute ago ,and it may explain why you have trouble with fairway woods . You are trying you hit them like irons , maybe chopping down on them . Fairway woods you use a sweeping type of swing . Distance does you no good at all if the result is anything but fairways and greens . I play with a guy that has driver then 5 iron through lob wedges . I thought he was nuts . But he is always in the fairways , sure it takes him 3 sometimes 4 shots to reach greens but he's also good enough that most of the time he has very make able putts . And most often posts rounds in the high 70s .. Hope all this helps .

the truth is i started hitting my 5 wood where i would usually hit a 3 wood. for some reason i can hit a 5 wood long and far and with the 3 wood i never know whats going to happen.

i'm not sure if its the size of the club head on the 3 Wood or if i just need to choke up on it, so how about 5 wood and 4 hybrid...

Kurt , you are like most of us ! I would rather carry a 5 wood than a 3 wood. I can hit a 3 wood 220-230 about 50% of the time the 5 wood I can hit it safe 75% of the time my distance is more erratic 190-225 it mostly depends on where in my stance I put the ball if I have 200 yards to clear water I might put the ball a half to an inch further back . What that does in effect is lower the loft . 5 woods and hybrids are more forgiving due to the higher lofts . I have to have the ball just right and concentrate on a sweeping smooth swing to hit the 3. I carry a driver ,3-4 hy 4-lw ill rotate the 3 and 5 woods depending on the course . I use the 4 iron strictly for a trouble club .

I carry a five wood 3h and 4 iron,

The five wood usually gives me over 220yds, the 3h I use from 200-220 and the 4i from 190-200.

Nothing feels better than puring a 4i onto the green

At the moment I've got a 4-wood and then 4-iron. I have room in the bag for a 3-hybrid.

:tmade: SLDRs 14* driver, 17* fairway, 19* and 22* hybrids | :odyssey: Versa White #1 putter

:nike: XR Pro 24*, 27*, 31*, 35.5*, 40*, 45*, 50* irons | :vokey: SM4 54*, 58* wedges

I have 3 and 4 hybrids - they basically replace my 3 and 4 iron and I wouldn't want to give up either of them.  I hit my 3h about 190 and my driver around 230-240 . .so I definitely want to get something in between the 3H and the Driver.  I'm thinking just to get a 4wood instead of the 3w and 5w . .that way I can add an extra wedge - maybe a 60 degree or a low bounce 56.

Note: This thread is 3968 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!