IGNORED

are you getting better?

chico713
Note: This thread is 3967 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by chico713

49 yrs old. Same handicap. Same scores. Lessons. New equipment. Play 3 times per week. Still shoot 85 almost every time. Am I alone here??

On the bright side, at least you're not 50 years old, same handicap, scores, lessons, play 3 times a week, and shoot 95 almost every time.

• Upvote 2

Bill

49 yrs old. Same handicap. Same scores. Lessons. New equipment. Play 3 times per week. Still shoot 85 almost every time. Am I alone here??

If you're taking lessons, it might be worth asking your pro why you're not improving....

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
Originally Posted by David in FL

If you're taking lessons, it might be worth asking your pro why you're not improving....

Because either or both:

1. He's not practicing properly.
  2. His instructor stinks.

My money's on "both."

P.S. Isn't he the same person who said he gets nothing out of hitting balls on the range and prefers to play several shots on the course?

P.P.S. Yup . Clearly hitting balls on the course is not very "effective" either if he's shooting the same scores.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Yes it's the same guy. I haven't been on this site long but I get the feeling if you can't shoot 70 from the tips, or say you do, then you don't belong. I've tried it all, the speed stick, the pure strike 5 iron, blades, shovels, hours pounding balls, instructors that I can't understand or that give the same lesson to everyone, and my scores are the same. Are yours better? I read golf digest, golf world, watch the golf channel. I play a 6900 yd course with a rating of 74.2 and a slope of 135. I've played Bethpage Black and Shinnecock, and its always 85. So tell me how you dropped 10 strokes and qualified for the US Open, or am, or your club championship, or anything.

Yes it's the same guy. I haven't been on this site long but I get the feeling if you can't shoot 70 from the tips, or say you do, then you don't belong. I've tried it all, the speed stick, the pure strike 5 iron, blades, shovels, hours pounding balls, instructors that I can't understand or that give the same lesson to everyone, and my scores are the same. Are yours better? I read golf digest, golf world, watch the golf channel. I play a 6900 yd course with a rating of 74.2 and a slope of 135. I've played Bethpage Black and Shinnecock, and its always 85. So tell me how you dropped 10 strokes and qualified for the US Open, or am, or your club championship, or anything.

The majority of the people on this site have never shot 70 in their life.. and I'd say most would be very happy to shoot consistent 85's!  I know I would.

If you are staying consistently at the same level, as mentioned before, it can only be a few things.

1) The pro you are going to isn't that good and you need to find someone that can explain things to better suit your needs.

2) Once the Pro informs you of your weaknesses you need to practice in the proper manner that will allow you to corporate those changes into your swing.  For instance, if I go to a Golf Pro and he tells me that my weight isn't forward, that is obviously an issue I need to fix.  However, if I never practice it, then when I play I will just revert back to my old swing and will still have the same problems.

3) Last but not least, and the least likely is that you have reached your maximum potential.

If people seem to be rude, and sometimes it can seem that way, it is likely because you are 1 of 1,000+ people who have posted in a similar fashion.  Far to often people will go to see a Pro, who informs them of their swing issues, yet they never practice or do drills to fix said issues.  If a professional tells me my issues then I have received one part of the equation.  The next part is for me to work hard to fix the issues on my own time.  Now I don't know for a fact that you are doing this.. I am simply playing the percentages.

Jeff

I play a 6900 yd course with a rating of 74.2 and a slope of 135. I've played Bethpage Black and Shinnecock, and its always 85. So tell me how you dropped 10 strokes and qualified for the US Open, or am, or your club championship, or anything.

You always shoot 85 no matter what course you play? Wow! I've never heard of anything like that before.

Most of us shoot higher scores on harder courses most of the time.

Because either or both: [LIST=1] [*] He's not practicing properly. [*] His instructor stinks. [/LIST] My money's on "both."

"Both" was my thought.....

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Stop looking for a quick fix. Does your pro video tape your swing? Do you know your swing faults? To actually improve your game, it takes a lot of work and going to the right people.

I hit it hard enough, driver 250 yd carry, 8 iron 145. I can birdie any hole. Problem is I can make8 on any hole. It's always a few crooked numbers that kill me. It's probably mental, and course mgt. I always hit driver and should play safe more often. But then I think, what the hell, if I shoot 78 or 85, whats the difference. No one cares. It's just for personal enjoyment. And I enjoy it immensely. I have a ton of fun. I've long ago disconnected my mood from my score. I'm just wondering...and I like to post topics that I think are interesting, universal, and a bit controversial, if only to be interesting. And believe me, I don't take any of this seriously. I know who I am

I hit it hard enough, driver 250 yd carry, 8 iron 145. I can birdie any hole. Problem is I can make8 on any hole. It's always a few crooked numbers that kill me. It's probably mental, and course mgt. I always hit driver and should play safe more often. But then I think, what the hell, if I shoot 78 or 85, whats the difference. No one cares. It's just for personal enjoyment. And I enjoy it immensely. I have a ton of fun. I've long ago disconnected my mood from my score. I'm just wondering...and I like to post topics that I think are interesting, universal, and a bit controversial, if only to be interesting. And believe me, I don't take any of this seriously. I know who I am

I think you have answered your question for the most part.  Course management seems to be your biggest culprit.  If you never play it safe and always go for the daring shot, that is a likely cause.  As we all know, the %'s are against you if you are taking high risks shot.  Try playing it safe for 5-10 rounds and see if your scores lessens.  It may not be as "fun" but at least it will answer your question for why you may not be improving.

Jeff

Pretty sure, based on your thread title, that you were asking us for our stories.  If that's the case, I'll add mine.  Short answer:  yes.  I am getting better.

I started taking lessons last summer (with the Evolvr guys) and at the time my handicap was 10.1.  It was also at 9.9 as recently as the January 15 revision.  I felt like I was getting better, but the scores weren't quite showing it.  However, at the next revision, my handicap is going to be 8.0, so the good scores are finally starting to come in.

I play approximately once every 2 weeks or so, and I try and practice at least twice a week (for about 45 minutes).

Playing decent golf, and more specifically, getting better, is a lot of fun!

• Upvote 1

• Administrator

As am I (getting better), and the students of mine who put in at least a little effort. :)

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Two years ago I was 12-15, today I am a 4.5.  You can get better, you need to start practicing correctly.  My guess is you are not taking 8's on a hole because of short game.  And the shots you call risky would probably not be risky if you are striking the ball well.  Does your instructor show you specific positions in the swing to checkpoint?  How badly do you want to improve? How many slow motion practice swings do you make a day to checkpoint your positions?  You won't improve playing on the course.  I play 1.5-2 rounds per week 5 months out of the year.

Nate

:pxg:(10.5) :benhogan:(4W):titleist:U500(3UI) :benhogan: Icon(4-PW) :edel:(52/58)

:odyssey:Putter :snell: MTB Black  

Note: This thread is 3967 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!