IGNORED

How do you divide you practice time between woods, irons, and wedges?

Note: This thread is 3995 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

There's great threads on here on full shots vs short game, but I'm curious how people divide up woods, irons, and wedges; especially when  your working on something specific (fixing a slice, trajectory, etc.)

A month ago I limping my way to some mid-80's rounds entirely on the strength of my irons and short game.  Inside of 180 I was super comfortable. However, almost every second shot was played from the right rough or most often, the right trees after a 210 yard slice.  I'd been ignoring my driver and fairway woods and it finally bit me in the ass.

Fast forward to today, I've hit probably 2000 balls with my driver and 5w, and now I'm hitting 60-75% of fairways with a nice 280+ draw (I still miss right of course, but I'd expect it anymore).  Problem is, I've put very little time in with my irons and wedges during this period, and they are an absolute mess.  I didn't think that I could lose a pretty high level of proficiency that fast, but apparently golf is hard...

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't have exact breakdown, but preference is:

* Wedges/short game first ('most shots come inside 100 yards..." OR WHATEVER)

* Woods second - keep drives in fairway, and long approaches in bounds

* Irons third - Most reliable of three, but hardest to make major improvements in

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Honestly it's probably

20% wedges

60% irons

20% woods

I feel like I am improving my swing most when I'm hitting 5-8 iron. I can focus on mechanics since my swing doesn't feel overly flat (driver) or upright (wedges). I usually start with wedges and move to longer clubs, but if there's a day where I can't hit a solid 8 iron, I'm not going to feel like moving up to 4 iron or driver.

40% wedges, 40% irons, 20% woods.  IMO, precision with the irons and wedges is far more important than being able to bomb it with the driver.  As long as I can keep it in play with the driver, Im happy but with my irons and wedges I want to be as precise as possible.  Putting becomes much easier when you can stick your approach shot within 10', than if you are always having to scramble for par.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

If you think about it the tee shots sets up the hole fore scoring! You use driver on 14 holes..Think about this though. If you 2 putt every green that's half of par on a 72 track. Putting is huge. I have played with some really good players, they told me that putting is what separates the good from the great.

• Administrator

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Originally Posted by iacas

They're lying. :D

Yep, that's why they keep taking your money!

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Originally Posted by noSnowman

If you think about it the tee shots sets up the hole fore scoring! You use driver on 14 holes..Think about this though. If you 2 putt every green that's half of par on a 72 track. Putting is huge.

I have played with some really good players, they told me that putting is what separates the good from the great.

Maybe if you're defining "good" as playing off +2 and "great" as playing off +5.  Then you can convince me that the incremental improvement is mostly course management, putting, and a spectacular short game.

For the rest of us schlubs, it's about full shot ball striking.  The reason I beat my 12-15 hcp buddies is that I don't lay the sod over the ball once or twice a round.  I don't top a 3-wood, or skull a mid-iron.  I don't blade a wedge over the green from 60 yards, and I'm not flirting with the woods on every 3d drive.  In short, it's because my ball striking, while not great by ANY means, is more solid and consistent than theirs, and as a result, my 32ish putts nets me 78 or 80, while their same 32ish putts nets them 90+ more often than not.....

......likewise, the reason my 2-3 hcp buddies beat me is that they're hitting another couple of greens and the greens they do hit result in shorter birdie putts.  Again, ball striking.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Ever play with a pro golfer. I have 1 shot a course record in Korea and he 2 putted every green.reaching4 short par fours in 1 and The par 5's in 2 short course with ob everywhere . I played and know guys who were playing pro tour PGA events. I played with a guy who was talking to the starter and was being congradulated for a win in a playoff who'ss last name is Carson. I was a single in a group and told fellow players we are playing with a pro 1 guy chuckles and says we will see about that. He shot a 65 and lipped out on eagle chips and birdie putts all glen day long!!! Now who should I listen to? Certainly not mister 3 wiggles$$$ That Carson guy had the best short game I have ever seen. He would chip a ball that looked as though when it hit the green it was gone...do a hop and grab then roll right towards the hole like a smooth struck putt$$$ I bet I remember his round better than he does. He had 1 boogie missed a 4 footer. Tell me how to shoot 65 not putting well lol. B-)B-)

Ever play with a pro golfer. I have 1 shot a course record in Korea and he 2 putted every green.reaching4 short par fours in 1 and The par 5's in 2 short course with ob everywhere . I played and know guys who were playing pro tour PGA events.

I played with a guy who was talking to the starter and was being congradulated for a win in a playoff who'ss

last name is Carson.

I was a single in a group and told fellow players we are playing with a pro 1 guy chuckles and says we will see about that. He shot a 65 and lipped out on eagle chips and birdie putts all glen day long!!! Now who should I listen to?

Certaunly not mister 3 wiggles$$$

That Carson guy had the best short game I have ever seen. He would chip a ball that looked as though when it hit the green it was gone...do a hop and grab then roll right towards the hole like a smooth struck putt$$$ I bet I remember his round better than he does. He had 1 boogie missed a 4 footer.

Tell me how to shoot 65 not putting well lol. B-)

I don't understand.  You say "putting is huge" one post, then "prove" it on the next post with an example of a guy who set a course record with 36 putts.

So, to answer your last question, I'd say, refer back to your Korean friend. :)

Ever play with a pro golfer. I have 1 shot a course record in Korea and he 2 putted every green.reaching4 short par fours in 1 and The par 5's in 2 short course with ob everywhere . I played and know guys who were playing pro tour PGA events.

I played with a guy who was talking to the starter and was being congradulated for a win in a playoff who'ss

last name is Carson.

I was a single in a group and told fellow players we are playing with a pro 1 guy chuckles and says we will see about that. He shot a 65 and lipped out on eagle chips and birdie putts all glen day long!!! Now who should I listen to?

Certainly not mister 3 wiggles$$$

That Carson guy had the best short game I have ever seen. He would chip a ball that looked as though when it hit the green it was gone...do a hop and grab then roll right towards the hole like a smooth struck putt$$$ I bet I remember his round better than he does. He had 1 boogie missed a 4 footer.

Tell me how to shoot 65 not putting well lol. B-)

I don't understand.  You say "putting is huge" one post, then "prove" it on the next post with an example of a guy who set a course record with 36 putts. So, to answer your last question, I'd say, refer back to your Korean friend. :)

Never said he was Korean did I? Lucky guess Alex Kim.Ah lets see he can hit it long and straight. At 56 I am fortunate to hit it 270 once in a while so that leaves me out of his league in both categories

Sounds like a great ball striker.....and a mediocre putter.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Nope he could flat out play the game.. He is not my friend but I played with him twice and saw him on the driving range. He was somewhat of a show off danced his club at address to free his swing and could hit all the shots. Played with him at Los Verses and you get a lot of uneven lies out there. Shots above and below your stance. He said golf is ART

95% irons 5% rest I practice swing changes, so I'm hitting most of my shots with the 6 iron.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

At the range it's almost all irons (this includes PW). I will hit a few drivers and 3 woods off the deck, but it's mostly irons. I might hit a sand wedge or two, but I really don't hit too many full SW or LW's when I play. I practice 30 yds and in pitch shots at home in my yard will work on putts when I play by myself (no putting greens to practice on close by).

Note: This thread is 3995 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!