IGNORED

2013 Wells Fargo Championship Discussion Thread

mvmac
Note: This thread is 3980 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Quote:

CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- Robert Garrigus played his final three holes in 3 under to shoot 67 and move into a tie for lead as the players in the morning wave put the finishing touches on their first rounds at the Wells Fargo Championship.

Garrigus started the spurt with a 4-foot eagle putt at the seventh hole, then made a 6-footer for birdie at No. 9. He's tied with Ryan Moore, who won North Carolina's other PGA TOUR event, the Wyndham Championship, in 2009, and Nick Watney, who finished eighth at Quail Hollow a year ago.

Watney played with Phil Mickelson, who might have been tied for the lead had he not driven against a tree on the way to his only bogey of the day at No. 8, his 17th hole of the day. Instead, Mickelson is tied with Boo Weekley and rookie Derek Ernst, who has two holes remaining and was in the penultimate group of the morning.

Robert Karlsson, the Swede who now lives in Charlotte, heads a group of four players who shot 69. Nicolas Colsaerts is 3 under through five holes after an eagle at the fifth hole.

Another Charlotte resident, Webb Simpson, who lives less than a mile from the Quail Hollow clubhouse, was among nine players who shot 2 under. Defending champion Rickie Fowler opened with a round of even par.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Bunched up at the top right now.  Padraig Harrington stunk it up, which is surprising considering how well he has been playing lately.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Sir Nick is saying that there are plenty of courses around the world that the pros play that have "way, way worse" greens than Quail Hollow this week.  I don't know about that - I can't recall seeing the pros play any in the US that looked worst than QH's, maybe some of the British courses, but seeing that many bare patches on so many greens is just shameful.  I would not be happy paying above $30 for a course with greens like those.  They look like total crap.  The 9th hole has a massive rectangular strip about 7'x40' long that looks like they cut a walkway through the front of the green and only decided to re-seed it two weeks ago.  On The Morning Drive they were questioning whether some of the "injury" withdrawals from the tournament were really just refusals to play on such poor greens.

In my bag: - Ping G20 driver, 10.5 deg. S flex - Ping G20 3W, 15 deg., S flex - Nickent 4dx 3H, 4H - Nike Slingshot 4-PW - Adams Tom Watson 52 deg. GW - Vokey 58 deg. SW -Ping Half Wack-E putter

The greens do look awful, I know some of the UK courses don't look great at times, but they aren't ever that bad. Saying that, I'd be surprised if players are quitting the tourney because of it. It looks like the balls are sticking to it well which makes for some good scores. Plus Rory seems to be on form today.

Fire the course manager and greens keeper? My favorite course Sky Links. That track is so manacured the fairways are better than some greens I have putted

These greens were due to be replaced with new Bermuda greens after this week anyway; this illustrates why every championship course south of the Missouri Compromise line that isn't Augusta National or Pinehurst is getting rid of bentgrass.

In my UnderArmour Links stand bag...

Driver: '07 Burner 9.5° (stiff graphite shaft)
Woods: SasQuatch 17° 4-Wood (stiff graphite shaft)
Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

I live about 75 miles north of Charlotte, and our greens are fine. We had a mild, wet winter, and the bentgrass had no issues. I wouldn't be suprised if they misapplied a chemical or an improper fertilizer application. Down south, bentgrass has problems in the summer, but right now, there shouldn't be any problems.

Nate Smith finished 201st on the money list in 2011 - his only PGA Tour season - and made it into the field at Quail Hollow as a Monday qualifier. His sponsor sent him a brand-new staff bag for his first Tour start in two years, and his friend James Hahn decided it was a good time for a prank. To be honest, I think James is doing it all wrong.

With his signed bag in tow, Nate shot a 67 today, and is tied for the lead. If he can carry what he did in the first round into the weekend, he has the chance to pick up the largest paycheck of his career by far, and go a long way in securing his Tour status in 2014. Maybe Odyssey will even be generous enough to provide him a replacement bag, seeing that the one they originally sent him will surely now sell for a lot of money at a charity auction.

In my UnderArmour Links stand bag...

Driver: '07 Burner 9.5° (stiff graphite shaft)
Woods: SasQuatch 17° 4-Wood (stiff graphite shaft)
Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

I am a retired golf course superintendent and I can tell you somebody did not know what they were doing to have greens this bad. The tournament should have been canceled. If I were the super there I believe I would go into hiding. I do understand weather can play a big part in growing perfect bent greens. I have been to turf schools over the years and had dealing with lots of supers and some do not have a clue. They get the degree and never learn how to grow grass. I can tell all it is an art that no school really can teach. These greens on TV today should have been repaired last year. I live in the south and I have always said that bent greens are not meant for the courses in the deep south. Some years you will have no problems but let one of those heat waves come along and watch them die in front of your eyes. Bermuda greens are much better in the south. Bermuda grass loves warm weather and when those nights are in the 70's watch them grow. MiniVerde Bermuda is one of the best. Putting green speeds can be easily maintained between 9 and 11 on a Stimpmeter when growing this type grass. Why anyone wants a green faster than that beats the heck out of me. Watch some of those old PGA events years ago and see how hard they stroked the putter. Those greens were healthy also. I had much rather have healthy grass than stressed grass. Bring the cutting height down and see how much stress they get under. Some of these PGA events the greens almost look dead they are cutting so low. The PGA looks like they are trying to have goofy golf greens to me as fast as some are. The TV networks should not even show the bad greens at this weeks event. I know all are not as bad as some. Some look almost dead. A little topdressing would have helped if they had did it last week. Topdressing with fine sand is one of the best things a super can do. Oh well, I should be watching this tournament on a black and white TV.

Originally Posted by Wansteadimp

Puttings a lottery, bringing everyone down to Westie's level!

LOL.  Seriously, though, that is a pretty good point.  They even said it on the telecast yesterday ... the guys that rely on putting to win are going to have a really tough time this week.  It's going to be more about ball striking.  I'll put my money on Boo Weekley too!

Not sure I want to gang up on the superintendent of the course though.  I didn't hear the reason for the bad greens, but I assume it's some sort of unfortunate deal that involves extreme unusual weather down there lately?

I heard that Bubba Watson three-putted....

From inside six feet.

I'm guessing the greens had something to do with it.  Or else he spotted some young hottie standing greenside, was having some very un-Christian thoughts about her, and completely lost his concentration.

In my bag: - Ping G20 driver, 10.5 deg. S flex - Ping G20 3W, 15 deg., S flex - Nickent 4dx 3H, 4H - Nike Slingshot 4-PW - Adams Tom Watson 52 deg. GW - Vokey 58 deg. SW -Ping Half Wack-E putter

Originally Posted by stoverny

Definitely looks like some sort of chemical damage, something tells me Quail Hollow might be interviewing for a new head groundskeeper soon.

Everyone is playing on the same greens.  The only difference is this:  the players have to give themselves chances for birdies and they'll make some of those and not make some of those.

wait.....nevermind, it's not different.  (yes, it's pretty ugly on TV, but we have snow here this morning, so I'm even jealous of them.)

Smith's bag will certainly become a great charity auction.  That's very cool.

Glad to see the kid (Rory) having a good tournment so far.  It's about time.

What happened to Henley's 2nd 9 today?  ouch.

Bill - 

Note: This thread is 3980 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!