IGNORED

2013 Wells Fargo Championship Discussion Thread

mvmac
Note: This thread is 4002 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Sergio putting with his wedge now??? Are the greens that bad? But it worked

Ron :nike: GOLF Embracing my Angry Black Male :mad:

Maybe someone in the know can clarify, but isn't the PGA Tour pretty hands on with golf course maintenance leading up to a tournament, or is that just with the majors?

:mizuno: MP-52 5-PW, :cobra: King Snake 4 i 
:tmade: R11 Driver, 3 W & 5 W, :vokey: 52, 56 & 60 wedges
:seemore: putter

Even if they are "blowing up" the greens and replacing them with Bermuda why are they in such horrible shape?

TaylorMade R11 Driver

X-20 Irons

Fusion FT-3 Driver

White Hot XG 9 Putter

Phil had a pretty good day today.

Rory is going to have to pick up the pace.

Ricky.........Well, he's just being pretty boy Ricky who can't get it done. Intimidated earlier by Tiger and now by Phil.

Originally Posted by mrwaltmitty

Even if they are "blowing up" the greens and replacing them with Bermuda why are they in such horrible shape?

Here's a hint:

“This is nothing that we didn’t know about,” said tournament executive director Kym Hougham. “Mother Nature wasn’t kind to us, but we’ve done everything we could do about it.”

And here's some more explanation: http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/golf/2013/04/30/dead-greens-wells-fargo-championship/2123889/

Looks like it's mostly bad luck with weather.

P.S.  Anybody else thinks Mike's OP would also do well over in the "Beautiful Women" thread?

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by jimmyc

Phil had a pretty good day today.

Rory is going to have to pick up the pace.

Ricky.........Well, he's just being pretty boy Ricky who can't get it done. Intimidated earlier by Tiger and now by Phil.

It cracks me up how high peoples expectations are for so many different players.

Ricky got his first win last year on his way to winning $3 M and finishing top 20 in the Fed Ex Cup.  This year he has only missed 1 cut and posted 3 top sixes and is currently top 30 Fed Ex Cup.

Jimmy- You probably shoot under par all the time, but I wish I could not get not it done on a tour course and shoot even par.

MEfree

Take a deep breath.

Did you pick Ricky in the office pool?

Look at my handicap. HA!

Yuuuuck those greens are God awful....  Mommy Nature was not very very kind.

Might was well put with a driver LOL

"Luck is where opportunity meets preparation.."

Originally Posted by RonTheSavage

Sergio putting with his wedge now??? Are the greens that bad? But it worked

Well it's Sergio, so he probably doesn't putt much worse with his wedge than his putter anyways.

Weather?  Are you kidding me?  I'm hearing that the cold wet weather killed the grass....I'm not even close to an expert but the only time I've seen bent grass like that was from extremely hot humid weather, not cold wet weather.  That or abuse.   Bent grass should be thriving under the conditions they had this winter.

My brother lives in Charlotte and the word(rumor of course) is that they were cut too short too early for a member/member tourney.  Now that I will buy.  I can see greens getting stressed by cutting and playing while still dormant which they could be from a colder than usual winter.  Lord forbid they play on furry winter greens for a member/member.  Just rumor of course but I don't buy the BS about the weather doing it.  There had to be another factor.

• Upvote 1

I heard they had got frosted over

Someone said that the Super from 2012 is no longer there... And they have a new Super.  My guess is someone f'd up during the change of management?

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Once on the green is the only allowed shot a 'putt'?  Sergio used a wedge and he chipped it in but probably it will count as a putt in the stats since he was on the green.

Originally Posted by joekelly

Once on the green is the only allowed shot a 'putt'?  Sergio used a wedge and he chipped it in but probably it will count as a putt in the stats since he was on the green.

In PGA tour statistics all the shots hit after the ball has found the green are counted as putts. Even if the ball left the green at some point and even if hit with wedge.

Originally Posted by jimmyc

MEfree

Take a deep breath.

Did you pick Ricky in the office pool?

Look at my handicap. HA!

Didn't pick Ricky and what cracked me up was a 21 capper criticizing a guy for shooting even par and making the cut on a PGA Tour course.

I guess it is that the PGA Tour produces only 1 winner each week compared to team sports where half the guys win each day that makes it so common for everyone to criticize productive pros who are not ranked #1 in the world or didn't win that week.  If Ricky played a round with you at your home course and executed exactly the same as he did yesterday, you would be blown away by how good he was and singing his praises instead of saying he was a pretty boy that was intimidated by Phil.

Originally Posted by mvmac

Thanks for posting- when I read he putted with his wedge, I figured it was a blade.

Note: This thread is 4002 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!