IGNORED

Do you guys prefer to walk or ride 18 holes?

Mr Smell Good
Note: This thread is 3978 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Most definitely walking.  Golf is different when you walk.  I'm not sure I can explain it....it just is.

Driver:  Callaway Diablo Octane iMix 11.5*
Fairway: Cobra Baffler Rail F 3W & 7W
Irons:  Wilson Ci
Wedges:  Acer XB (52* & 56*)
Putter:  Cleveland Classic #10 with Winn Jumbo Pistol Grip

I definitely prefer to walking. The golflogix GPS app that I use also tracks calories burned per round based on if you walk pushing/pulling your clubs, carry, or ride. Being that I use a push-cart its nice to see that I burn over 1000 calories per round doing something that I love to do.

Ron :nike: GOLF Embracing my Angry Black Male :mad:

It largely depends on the course.  If the course is walking friendly (tee box for the next hole not 2 blocks away) and it isn't SUPER SUPER hilly, I would prefer to walk.  I think walking has a few solid benefits #1 - it is harder to lose your ball when you walk.  Because you can leave the tee box and have a single point of reference to your ball, you are more likely to be able to walk straight to it, instead of riding where you first have to sometimes go to your partners ball and by that point you have lost your frame of reference for your ball #2 - when you hit a bad shot, you have to walk to it, which gives you a chance to burn off some of the anger from the bad shot, allowing you to cool off a little bit and clear your head prior to the next shot.  Also, when you have a great shot, the euphoria of that great shot lasts longer because it takes you longer to get to the next shot. #3 - you don't have to make compromises when you walk in the spirit of pace of play.  The perfect example of this is green side shots and cart path only cart golf.  In the case of Green side shots, lets say you have a sand shot into a very narrow green.  As a result of the narrow green you end up either out of the sand and just off the green (short or long) but because the cart is off on the path, you only have your sand wedge and your putter to choose from, or you have to make everybody wait as you run back to your cart to grab a different club.  If you walk, your clubs are likely not far from you so you can take the 5-6 paces to get the appropriate club.  In the sense of cart path only, often times you don't know exactly which club to hit so you have to bring several clubs, and sometimes they all end up being the wrong club.  #4 - walking is healthier.  I am as guilty as Most of the rest of this country.  I eat too much bad food, I work at a desk and don't work out as often as I should.  Walking a golf course is a great way to ENJOY a workout. Sure it isn't as good as a 5k, or other higher intensity workouts , but I don't like running a 5k and I do like to play golf, so it makes it more tolerable.

From a caloric pov, walking 18 is MUCH better than a quick 5k. Depending on the length of the course, you walk anywhere from 6-8 miles during a round. Throw in a 25lb bag, plus elevation changes, and the average guy burns anywhere from 1000-1300 calories. A 5k on the other hand is only 3.1mi, likely little elevation change, and unless you're a marine, no additional 25lb bag. For me that burns roughly only 350 calories.

I like to walk 9; 18 tires me out a bit plus the back nine at my course is really hilly. I like to walk and carry my bag for 9, but depending on who I am playing with. Some of our group walks, some like to ride, so it depends on who shows up. I have also had some foot problems this year but hope to be better soon.

Don

In the bag:

Driver: PING 410 Plus 9 degrees, Alta CB55 S  Fairway: Callaway Rogue 3W PX Even Flow Blue 6.0; Hybrid: Titleist 818H1 21* PX Even Flow Blue 6.0;  Irons: Titleist 718 AP1 5-W2(53*) Shafts- TT AMT Red S300 ; Wedges Vokey SM8 56-10D Putter: Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2.5  Ball: Titleist AVX or 2021 ProV1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I get free carts with my lifetime golf membership, yet I almost always walk and carry. Occasionally will pull a cart, and on rare occasions (when it is very hot and humid) I may take a cart, if the course is open and I can speed around. Walking and carrying is great cardiovascular exercise, and much more interesting than pushing a machine at a gym (boring!!).

I prefer to walk. When you are in a cart you are usually not alone. If one hits to the left and the other to the right it can be hard finding your ball. When I walk I have all my clubs with me all the time. I walk directly to where I hit the ball. I have time to think, I'm not engaged in useless conversation, I can stay in the zone. I don't score as well when I ride, on average it adds about 3 to 4 strokes to my game.

<-----

Do I really need to explain my answer?

Unless you are a senior, or have any sort of debilitating condition that prevents you from walking, I personally believe golf ceases to be a sport when you get a cart. It's just a game at that point.

taylormade.gif Burner Superfast 1.0: 10.5* Driver, 15* 3-wood

adams.gif a5OS Hybrid/Irons Set: 3h-5h, 6-PW

adams.gif "Tom Watson Classic" Wedges: 52*, 56*, 60*
taylormade.gif Est 79 TM-770 Putter, "Fontana" Pattern

xFIXx

Originally Posted by TJBam

I honestly have no idea how people walk on a golf course.  Where do they put their beer in between shots?

I've never brought a beer to a golf course and have no intention of doing it. The occasional Jägermeister, but that's it.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

I prefer to walk.  I find it to be more relaxing and more peaceful to walk.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

I'd probably find it relaxing and peaceful to walk if I didn't have to carry my bag.

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

Originally Posted by bplewis24

I'd probably find it relaxing and peaceful to walk if I didn't have to carry my bag.

So use a push cart.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

I think most people prefer to walk except when time is a real concern. If they play slower than the average, they need to make up for it somehow. This usually applies to the older set, or the newest players.

Originally Posted by GaijinGolfer

So use a push cart.

There's no way I'm lugging that thing around.

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

Originally Posted by GaijinGolfer

I prefer to walk.  I find it to be more relaxing and more peaceful to walk.

Originally Posted by bplewis24

I do too.  There are so few courses around here, however, where it's feasible.  All of the nicer, newer ones are built in and across canyons and mountains and quarrys, etc, etc such that there are holes with miles between them in several places.

But when I play the munis or the older, flatter courses with greens and tees right by each other, I love to walk and carry.

Feel the grass under your feet. The lie of the course. Smell the cut grass. Feel the wind. Hear the birds. Notice the sloping of the fairway, and the angle of your approach shot into the green. Give yourself time to judge your next shot. Don't arrive at your ball only to sit there impatiently waiting. Clean your grooves while you get up to your ball. Getting in 5 - 7 miles of walking is good for the body and mind. I generally shoot a few strokes worse when I ride.

dak4n6

I enjoy walking, but very few courses in my area even allow it and my home course isn't one of them so I almost always ride. However, if I'm playing a course that will allow it, I'll walk. In the summer, when I play the most, I always ride as the temps can get to around 110°.

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5°) · PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15° and 21°) · PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22°, 25°, and 28°) · PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) · Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50°, 55°, 60°) · Edel Classic Blade Putter (32") · Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour · Pinned Prism Rangefinder · Star Grips · Flightscope Mevo · TRUE Linkswear Shoes · Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

From 1992-2005..........I was a diehard walker.  I enjoyed the purity of the game while walking, and swore there is no other way to play the game!!  I was younger then and paying extra for a cart seemed unnecessary.  Playing golf costs enough...........why pay for a cart too?

Since 2006, my memberships all included a cart. I'd rather not walk these days...I'm just fine with a cart. LOL  I think if you gave a cart to the so-called walking purists free of charge....... 75% of them would immediately convert.   Of course....some will definitely NOT!  ...and I can understand why as a person who has walked nearly 10,000 miles on the golf course.

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

Note: This thread is 3978 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!