IGNORED

11 yr old beginner wants to get good for HS team

Note: This thread is 3982 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

My daughter is wrapping up 6th grade and is interested in getting good enough to play golf in high school.  What specifically can she do now to achieve that goal?  She is a beginner and has taken a few small group lessons and played par 3 a couple of times.  That's it.  I just signed her up for a youth club at a local course (a challenging regulation course) where she can play $5 rounds so hopefully she can get a lot of golf under her belt in the next few years.  Would folks recommend some private lessons, small group lessons, focus on playing rounds, driving range, etc?

Originally Posted by dru925

My daughter is wrapping up 6th grade and is interested in getting good enough to play golf in high school.  What specifically can she do now to achieve that goal?  She is a beginner and has taken a few small group lessons and played par 3 a couple of times.  That's it.  I just signed her up for a youth club at a local course (a challenging regulation course) where she can play $5 rounds so hopefully she can get a lot of golf under her belt in the next few years.  Would folks recommend some private lessons, small group lessons, focus on playing rounds, driving range, etc?

Seems like the youth club is a great start.  Certainly some type of lessons as well.  Until she starts lessons, I would say just play and have fun and don't worry about the driving range at all, seeing as how she can play and play to her heart's content.  Without a coach giving her something to work on, the range isn't probably going to do much.  She can also practice putting a lot!

Perhaps you could contact the high school coach and he/she would be able to give a good recommendation for a coach or program for her for the next two years?

Good luck!

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I'd definitely be looking for a good instructor- one that can relate to kids and make it fun for her.

I'd also let her watch video of good players rather than try to imitate some of the hacks that you see at most driving ranges.  Golfingdad offered some good advice, but I would recommend range time and short game practice in addition to playing and putting practice.

While practicing and playing golf is going to be the biggest bang for her buck in terms of improving her golf, any other sports/activities that work on hand/eye coordination and general athleticism will also help her golf.

As she improves, playing tournament golf will get her used to the competitive environment of high school golf.  Lots of options, especially in the summers, in So Cal.

Good luck to her!

:mizuno: MP-52 5-PW, :cobra: King Snake 4 i 
:tmade: R11 Driver, 3 W & 5 W, :vokey: 52, 56 & 60 wedges
:seemore: putter

Tiger woods dad once said in an interview that he taught Tiger how to play from the green to the tee. Teach them how to putt and chip first.

5 Simple Keys® Associate

"Golf is not a game of great shots. It's a game of the most accurate misses.

The people who win make the smallest mistakes." - Gene Littler

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by EverythingGolf

Tiger woods dad once said in an interview that he taught Tiger how to play from the green to the tee. Teach them how to putt and chip first.

THIS.

Note: This thread is 3982 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!