IGNORED

ball lands on another teebox right next to tee marker

jerkputter
Note: This thread is 3990 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

My ball lands on another tee box today next to tee marker which had me blocked from green I was playing

Would I get free relief ?  or do I just move the tee marker? I always played where we dropped off another tee box but I know the rules say play it as you found it. I also know some local rules do not allow you to hit a ball off another tee box.

I got the honor to play Shoal Creek near Birmingham Alabama and few months ago and my ball landed on another tee box. I was a guest at this great golf course and no way was I going to take a divot on that perfect tee box. Just wondering what would happen in tournament golf if the ball came to rest behind a tee marker that you were not supposed to move. JP

If local rules don't specify it you have to play the ball on the tee box.  You may move the tee marker and make your shot or take an unplayable lie and drop with a penalty stroke (not sure why you would do this).

I'm not a rules guru so I could be mistaken, I'm pretty confident on this ruling though.

We play winter rules all year at our course so dropping from a tee box would probably fit into those winter rules. Some of the people I play with bend most of the rules anyway. If you are tagged as a cheater then from a golfer viewpoint your are branded for life. More than once I have seen a person tee off with a Pro V and finish the hole with a Top-Flite lol

I just never seen a PGA event when a players ball landed next to a tee marker so I was not quite sure what the exact rule was. Thanks for your reply. JP

11-2 . Tee-Markers

Before a player makes his first stroke with any ball on the teeing ground of the hole being played, the tee-markers are deemed to be fixed . In these circumstances, if the player moves or allows to be moved a tee-marker for the purpose of avoiding interference with his stance , the area of his intended swing or his line of play , he incurs the penalty for a breach of Rule 13-2 .

11-2/1

Status of Tee-Markers After First Stroke

Q. Under Rule 11-2 , tee-markers are deemed to be fixed when playing the first stroke with any ball from the teeing ground. Are tee-markers obstructions thereafter?

A. Yes.

You can not move the tees, on the tee box you are playing, before your first stroke.  After that, all tee markers are movable obstructions.  You can move them out of the way.

• Upvote 1

Regards,

John

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by jerkputter

We play winter rules all year at our course so dropping from a tee box would probably fit into those winter rules.

Dropping from a 'tee box' is not a winter rule. You may play from a 'tee box' whenever you wish.

Ah, jerkputter. I think that starting the hole with ball A, and finishing with ball Z is not uncommon and does not necessarily indicate any rules violation, as long as all balls used are conforming and you are not in playing in tourney where the 'one ball rule' is in effect.  Sure, sometimes folks switch balls for no good reason and that is a 'no-no'.

Originally Posted by joekelly

Ah, jerkputter. I think that starting the hole with ball A, and finishing with ball Z is not uncommon and does not necessarily indicate any rules violation, as long as all balls used are conforming and you are not in playing in tourney where the 'one ball rule' is in effect.  Sure, sometimes folks switch balls for no good reason and that is a 'no-no'.

Starting a hole with one ball and finishing the hole with another (whatever the type) can only take place when substitution is permitted under a Rule.

Joe, I was referring to certain people that play with us that hit their ball in the woods with a pro v and when they putt I notice it is a different ball. They are just cheaters and we all know it yet we continue to let them play. I know most all golf groups have them. I wonder sometimes if PGA tour players have a few. These people never mention when we are looking for their ball what brand and number until a ball is found and they say yea, that's it. A few years ago I watched one of these cheaters tee off and try to hit his shot over some trees to a short part 4. I was next to the green when he hit. His ball went behind the green by some trees. I just picked it up and put it in my pocket and waited until he got to where it should be. Yep, he found it right away. I never mentioned to him I had his ball in my pocket. I just wanted to confirm he was indeed a cheater. I tossed his ball in the water on the next hole.lol

This happened to Graeme McDowell a couple of years ago at Tiger's tournament (the year he won).  On the last par 3, he overshot the green and the ball landed on the next tee box, way above the green he was playing.  I can't remember if he had to move the marker.  But he did pitch it on the green and made the putt.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

I got the honor to play Shoal Creek near Birmingham Alabama and few months ago and my ball landed on another tee box. I was a guest at this great golf course and no way was I going to take a divot on that perfect tee box.

Why?

A tee box is a place specifically prepared for making strokes from it. It is not forbidden to take a divot when making a stroke. In fact, in many cases it is even highly recommended... ;-)

Joe, I was referring to certain people that play with us that hit their ball in the woods with a pro v and when they putt I notice it is a different ball. They are just cheaters and we all know it yet we continue to let them play.

Other than when the "one ball rule" is in effect (which is usually only for high level tournaments), can't you legally substitute whatever ball you like for a lost ball, or ball in hazard? I can find no rule to the contrary...

Bill

Originally Posted by sacm3bill

Other than when the "one ball rule" is in effect (which is usually only for high level tournaments), can't you legally substitute whatever ball you like for a lost ball, or ball in hazard? I can find no rule to the contrary...

I think he mean's the golfer couldn't find his ball through the green, and dropped one when no one was looking.   Think "Goldfinger" and Odd Job via his pant leg.

A variation is the "Towel trick" that I've seen at my club.  Player is always looking for a ball with a towel hanging from his hand.  New ball is inside the towel.  Can't find your original, or having found original you don't like where it is......drop new ball, or throw towel on ground with ball inside.

Regards,

John

Haha.  Never heard of the 'towel trick' but the hole in the pocket is well known.  Next we will find the hat with the secret pocket and ball within. As player (cheater) bends over to search ball drops free.  'FOUND IT'.

Note: This thread is 3990 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!