IGNORED

Just some questions on Golf for anyone who plays a lot

MrMicTickles
Note: This thread is 4000 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I play d2 golf and am scratch handicap, just want to know what some of you guys on here might think..

I just bought the new RBZ tour 5 wood for 170$ which is a lot for me because I am young and money is still an issue at 19 and I am considering taking it back for a wedge. Mainly I want to know what you guys think the better gap to fill is

Summary

I have room for one more club in my bag And there are two gaps I have right now

My problem is this I have a gap in golf from 220-240ish

1. My 3 iron does not hit more than 220

2. My 3 wood hits 240+

So adding the 5 wood I think will fill that gap.

my gap with wedges

1. 58- 90 yards max

2. 52- An easy swing produces 100 yard shot so I have to hit a half to hit it 90-100... which I consider to be my no zone right now

So adding a 54 might be a benefit by making that 90-100 shot easiler

Which do you guys think is the better option a wedge for the gap or a wood?

Because honestly I already score par, but I'm going to play some pro tournaments this summer and some advice would really be great from anyone.

Also Do you guys buy that these new woods hit 20 yards or whatever farther? I hit the 5 wood about the same as I thought I would NOT 20 yards farther like a 3 wood? Or is my 08 burner a little outdated and worn out and should be considered upgrading and might add distance and lower scores.

Thanks ...

I met a former D2 golfer who has shifted to the mini-tour. I asked him about the wedge mixes he sees, and he said:

• Big hitters tend to go with 4 wedges, to have more options in close.
  • Medium hitters tend to go with 3 wedges, to pick up an extra club in the 200-yard range.

For your wedges, what are the differences in shaft length? Most numbered irons have a half-inch difference up and down the line in shaft length. Wedges, however, sometimes go with 1/4" or even 1/8" differences in shaft length,

Ralph Maltby discusses shaft length in his report on wedge fitting: http://ralphmaltby.com/17

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I'll be sure to check that out. Thanks a lot and yeah I'm sticking with the 5 wood. I am not a long hitter for college at least. With only a 260 carry and 112 swing speed. I am the shortest hitter on my team by about 10 yards.

You can likely address the wedge distance gaps by determining how far you hit your wedges with 1/2 and 3/4 swings.  For instance if you carry 3 wedges and knew how far you hit each with a 1/2 and 3/4 swing it would be like adding 6 wedges to your bag.

I had to spend a little time developing a consistent less than full swing but it has been well worth it.  I usually take a couple of extra practice swings when hitting less the full, just to find the right feel. I have even added my 9 iron to the 1/2 & 3/4 swing mix to fill a short game gap.

FWIW, I would stick with the 5 wood.

Here's my 2-cents.  Of the 14 clubs in the bag, I have approx 18 clubs to choose from. The bag setup is specific to the course and the course setup that I'm playing. For the most part, the only clubs that get switched out on a routine basis is the hybrid, 3 iron and gap wedge. My normal setup, of the courses I play about 90% of the time, is to carry a driver, 3 wood, hybrid, 4-9 and 4 wedges (46, 50, 54, 60). Depending on the length of the course, and setup, I can replace the hybrid with a 5 wood, or 3 iron, or remove the 50 degree wedge. Most of the time, my changing of bag setup comes from data that I keep on every round. I track every club played so that I know which clubs I am mostly likely to need on a specific course. The 4 wedge setup has been a pretty consistance setup for the last year or so, keeps me from having to manufacture half and 3/4 swings in some situations, and gives me options when I need to reduce spin or play something other than a stock shot. The top end of bag becomes more of a specilized setup more dependant on 1 or holes. Maybe 5 wood instead of the hybrid depending on approch distances of the really long par 4's or par 5's. Also depending on a longer par 3, I may carry the 3 iron instead of the hybrid or 5 wood.   Bottom line is, there is no standard setup to my bag, it is completely dependant on how I play the specfic course and a few holes on that course.  There are time during practice rounds when my bag might have 18 to 20 clubs, but after a few rounds it gets figured out pretty easily.

What's in the Titleist  carry bag:
Driver: Titleist 910 D2,  Motore Speeder VC 6.0 shaft, 1" long, set to A1
Fairway Wood: Titleist 910 F, set to B4 Hybrid: Titleist 910 H, set to B4
Irons: Titleist AP2 710 4-9  Project X shafts  Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM4 46deg, C-C 50, 54, & 60deg.
Putter: Scotty Cameron NewPort 2.5 Glove: Titleist Ball: Titleist ProV1x  RangeFinder: Bushnell V2

Towel: Players Towel   Eyewear: SunDog H EVO  On Twitter -- @BrianBrown13

Originally Posted by WUTiger

I met a former D2 golfer who has shifted to the mini-tour. I asked him about the wedge mixes he sees, and he said:

Big hitters tend to go with 4 wedges, to have more options in close.

Medium hitters tend to go with 3 wedges, to pick up an extra club in the 200-yard range.

For your wedges, what are the differences in shaft length? Most numbered irons have a half-inch difference up and down the line in shaft length. Wedges, however, sometimes go with 1/4" or even 1/8" differences in shaft length,

Ralph Maltby discusses shaft length in his report on wedge fitting: http://ralphmaltby.com/17

If I were you, I would follow the advice of WUTiger here. I currently have a PW, GW, 54°m 58° setup that I really enjoy and it covers every aspect of my game. I am never left with a long decision when it comes to yardage. As soon as I see how far I am, I know the club I need. From there I just determine if there are any obstacles to consider - otherwise the club choice is no stress from green to tee.

My Setup : 9.5° Driver, 15° 3W, 19° 3h, 4-9i, PW, GW, 54°, 58° and Putter

Note: This thread is 4000 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!