Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
7 iron

The Importance of finding your tempo

3 posts in this topic

I was trying out some irons at a demo day and frankly was struggling.  Perhaps I was inadvertently speeding up my swing to gain a little more distance from the dead range balls, or that I felt uncomfortable hitting balls under the watchful eye of a manufacturer salesman/fitter.  Finally, he said, "your swing is all about tempo."  I relaxed and went to my "loose and long" easy swing and began hitting the ball well with my familiar slight draw.

I wonder how much better the quality of one' swing/ball flight would be if we stop trying to swing like our buddy or the guy that just bombed it on the Tee before us and just "swing my swing"!

I'm convinced that everyone has their own distinct tempo and that when we groove (of course with proper technique) to that tempo, we will see our very best results?

I think tempo involves more than speed.  It is all about the pace, pause (if any) and follow through of a swing to maximize the coordination and power of our core engine for better ball flight and distance.

How about you? What importance do you put on tempo in your own game?

Want to get rid of this advertisement? Sign up (or log in) today! It's free!

It is all about tempo for me. I should only watch LPGA events for tempo. Lashing at it is death for me.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

A few years ago I went to the Safeway Classic in Portland and did nothing more all day than absorb the players' rhythm and ease with which the ladies swung.

The next day I played and shot a 78 by imitating the feeling that I took away for the tournament, and it was easy.

Much of what I would learn from a 25-year-old PGA player's swing is how to hurt myself.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Want to join this community?

We'd love to have you!

• 2016 TST Partners

GAME Golf
    PING Golf
    Lowest Score Wins
    • What Are Your 2016 Golf Goals? Official Thread
      Handicap card completed - Off a 23 which is a bit higher than I'd like, Going to play in my first comp next month hopefully. Still working on those blow up holes. Shot an 86 yesterday which is my best round in a long time! 
    • What would a PGA Tour player shoot at your home course?
      @iacas Not sure why you feel the need to try and make people feel stupid? What's the attitude all about?

Because you seem to think that nobody else has any valid arguments, I felt compelled to contact a friend of mine and ask him about the subject. He has won twice on the MacKenzie Tour, 4 times on the Gateway Tour and played in the US Open in 2010 at Pebble Beach. I Facebooked him a few days ago and heard back from him today. He said that his Tour buddies of that calibre typically shoot in the mid 60's (or lower) if they play an "average" course for a Pro-Am or a sponsor's event or for a casual round. He added that he played a municipal course in Phoenix last week (he didn't say which one) and shot -8 without ever having seen the course before. And he was never able to make it through the final stage of Q-School so he self-admittedly doesn't have the skillset of the PGA guys. I still say the average Tour player would shoot in the low 60's at my course. Here's the scorecard of it, and Nick Taylor's scores from the 2006 Provincial Tournament. He was only a junior at the time and hadn't played for the University of Washington yet. Safe to say his handicap has improved a little bit since then  and he still shot 68 twice and under difficult tournament conditions! No way he'd shoot that now. 
        Nick Taylor   Round: 4 Position: 1 Score: -11 Strokes: 277 Tip: Click on a hole number to compare Nick’s score to the field. Hole 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Out 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 In Total Yards 363 381 374 191 496 406 524 197 401 3333 530 197 424 487 559 166 393 428 286 3470 6803 Handicap 16 4 14 18 10 2 12 8 6   11 15 3 1 7 13 9 5 17     Par 4 4 4 3 5 4 5 3 4 36 5 3 4 4 5 3 4 4 4 36 72 Round 1 5 3 4 3 4 4 4 3 4 34 4 3 4 4 5 3 3 3 5 34 68 Round 2 4 3 4 3 4 3 6 3 5 35 5 3 4 4 5 3 4 4 4 36 71 Round 3 4 4 3 2 5 4 4 3 4 33 4 3 3 4 6 3 4 4 4 35 68 Round 4 4 3 4 3 5 3 5 3 4 34 5 3 4 4 5 3 4 4 4 36 70 Key:   Eagle   Birdie   Bogey   Dbl Bogey
    • Standing on Tee Marker for Aiding a Swing
      However, the ruling given by the RBs that, when Preferred Lies are in operation, a player may place his ball on a stray tee already in the ground, may suggest that he make take advantage of the tee marker.  A tee being defined as a device. But a tee is designed for the specific purpose of raising the ball off the ground. The tee marker is not designed to provide a footstand.
    • Your worst golf bargain
      Golf can be an obsession in terms of equipment, so my worse bargain this past offseason was stock piling several boxes of Golf Balls.  I over did it ten fold...duh.  
    • My Swing (PumaAttack)
      @pumaAttack, please read what I've said, I've answered your questions and spent my free time trying to help you. I'll try to be as clear as I can. It's not just about hitting positions or angles, you have to consider the entire motion and how you arrived there. The golf swing is a dynamic movement. There is no "perfect" A4 or A6, etc. @iacas has already answered this but if you go shallow to steep (what you're doing) the sweetspot is going to want to kick out. You can make compensations so it looks ok but it's not an effective way to hit the ball. It's going to cost you contact control, face control and speed. If you can go steep to shallow you'll have a better chance of creating the most speed and best contact. A sweetspot kicking out (which yours is) leads to pulls, inconsistent contact and glancing blows. We've answered your questions but here is more detail (more detail than most students should get): Shallow to steep = Not Effective, the weight of the clubhead is going to want to be "thrown" out which will have the club working across the ball. It will also widen the arc so in order not to fat it you have to make compensations with your hands/body. Steep to shallow = Most Effective, potentially creates more speed, on downswing you can load into the ground and rotate while still swinging out (without trying to swing out). Easier to rotate and maintain your tilt because if the sweetspot is kicking out (widens the arc) you have to do something to make room. Very, very few good players swing across the ball on the downswing. Nobody is out to get you, I had no idea you were still on Evolvr, it would have been helpful to post something like "Here is my latest swing, here's what my Evolvr instructor said my priority is". If you did I would have never posted what I did. I was just trying to help. If @iacas offers his opinion, rather than take the defensive route, give him the benefit of the double and listen to what he's saying, he knows what he's talking about. Even after this post I get the feeling you'll want to say "But my A6 is perfect!", I'd recommend you take a look at these threads.    
  • TST Blog Entries

• Images

• Today's Birthdays

1. bigtosh90
      bigtosh90
      (26 years old)
    2. dopplegvnger
      dopplegvnger
      (24 years old)
    3. Frank62
      Frank62
      (54 years old)