IGNORED

I Hate Getting Paired Up With "That Guy"

D-Man
Note: This thread is 1703 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by Kletus

I politely tell them that I'm going to play the game I brought while I'm on the course, but I'll be happy to head over to the range with them after the round if they want to show me something that they saw.

That's actually a pretty decent way to do it.

And, if they are really serious, they'll have to invest a bit of time afterwards if it's that big a deal.  Either way, you win.  If it's serious and good advice, it's worth waiting for and also let's them think it through on whether they REALLY want to offer it after a whole round vs off the cuff on that shot.  If it's just off the cuff, they'll likely fizzle out and then, instead of range time, it a couple beers in the clubhouse.

nicely played, sir.

Bill - 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I have to admit that I was "that guy" the other day. Got paired up with a nice group and was looking forward to a nice fun round of golf on a beautiful summer day. I hit a couple of bad shots early, also had some bad luck. The combination made me surly and I bitched my way around the course for awhile.

I realized I was being "that guy" after moaning about some really bad luck two holes in row (10 and 11). I cleaned up my act for the rest of the round, just trying to enjoy the day. The golf didn't get any better but hopefully the experience all around did. I mean, really, it's just a game and there are far worse places I could have been that day.

Bill M

It seems like there are references to 2 different "that guys." 1) The unsolicited golf tip/instruction guy during your round 2). Mr. Complain and make excuses of why you played bad the whole round making everyone else miserable in the process. The original thread post was guy #1. Realistically, it isn't fun getting paired with either one. When I play with folks, regardless of their game I like to encourage their positives. Like "nice roll" and "great shot" or "you hit that really well" or "good swing." Even if the result wasn't great, it puts a positive spin and vibe on the game. Point out the good things to be encouraging.

The most difficult distance in golf is the six inches between your ears.

OP, one does not have to be able to consistently execute a proper shot to be able to see someone else doing something wrong. Not saying you're getting proper advice, but I don't think saying "well you just shanked it!" is anymore proper. I dunno. I do understand that it can get old, if you've got your own thing, though.

The only people that bother me are the ones that will take a swing, shank, and look at their glove like it did something wrong, or kick the ground where they were standing like it just gave way. You're not here to impress anyone. Quit making excuses and get off the tee box. Heck, I don't even care if I'm playing with straight-up cheaters, or people who are incapable of even connecting with 2/10 shots... But something about someone thinking that I care how they do bothers me.

I guess I treat golf as a personal game. I don't play to win or lose, I play to do better than I did last week.

I coulda sworn I left the cart right here......

• 3 months later...

I don't give advice unless specifically asked. I have gotten to the point where I don't even watch other people swing anymore, so when people ask if they did this or that I tell them I will have to look closer, then I have to look 'at all'. If you don't see it there's no temptation to correct it. Just catch the ball in the air or off the club face, that takes some practicing.

As for who "that guy" is for me, I am fortunate to play with a lot of the same people or people who respect me enough to leave my game alone. I do have one friend who thinks she knows stuff, but I am 10-15 strokes better than her so she shuts up after a couple holes. Often if we get paired up with a couple randos the males will try to give me advice, (you have that teed awfully low... well buddy it's a 12* driver and I'd like to go further out than up) but it doesn't last very long either maybe because I have chronic bitch face? Or maybe because I'm perfect. Probably the former.

maybe because I have chronic bitch face? Or maybe because I'm perfect. Probably the former.

:-D Thank you for the smile and laugh.  I needed it.

• Upvote 1

Bag: Titleist
Driver: TM RBZ 9.5
Fairway metals: TM RBZ 3 wood
Hybrids: TM RBZ 3, 4 and 5
Irons: TM Burner 1.0 6 thru LW stiff steel shafts
Putter: Ping B60
Ball: TM Tour Preferred X or ProV1x
Check out littlejohngolfleague.com  A Greater Houston TX traveling golf league.

I'm undecided on the unsolicited advice I guess.  I had a couple different people make a comment this summer and one was short and sweet and it turned out to be an excellent tip and the other was rambling nonsense that I already knew.  I generally only try to give advice to friends and family since they're all pretty terrible and I know them personally.

The 'that guy' that annoys me is the guy that hits a bad or even mediocre shot and rages out like it's a one in a million shank or that some half mile an hour breeze screwed them or some other random stupid thing.  I want to tell them to just shut up and play the stupid game.

It must be a guy thing.  I never seen any lady golfer offering advice. ;-)

I've seen one guy at the range just ogling my bunker practice.   I can feel that he really wants to give me advice but I didn't give him any opening.  After a while, he blurted out something like "you need to hit down on the sand."   Oh, yeah?   At the time, that wasn't my problem.   Anyway, I grunted a bit and didn't reply.   He kept on watching my practice and finally gave up and left.  A few days later, I fix my bunker problem without paying any mind to what he said.

Others won't even wait for an opening and just barge out free instruction to a perfect stranger.   And typically, it's something I know already (turn your hip, keep your head down, etc.).   If I am in good mood, I will nod with meaningful smile.   If I am not, I will just go on without ack'ng his intrusion.

The worst part of it is, some of them are clearly not any better than me.   If you are that guy, don't confuse us with your lessons, especially, during a round. There is no magic one liner lesson that can suddenly improve one's golf skill in the middle of a round.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

It must be a guy thing.  I never seen any lady golfer offering advice.

I think it's because they hit the ball 100 yards.  If they swung hard enough to hit it as far as men do they'd probably have the same problems men do. :-P

Nobody gives me advice..........almost.   Fun story.....I was the first person on the course on a weekend morning and played as a single.  It was 9am and I was already on the 18th tee when a marshal for some reason decides to hang around and watch me play.  I was probably the only player on the course past the 10th hole.......I thought it was weird that he was even there!  Why is he patrolling empty golf course?  With that said, that didn't bother me....I'm a regular and he surely must know I can golf circles around him.  What did bother me was I hit my tee shot left and he proceeded to inform me that my club was open at address.......(it always is)

I never uttered a word, but I must have inadvertently glared at him as I walked off the tee because he immediately apologized..... I probably gave him the evil "stink eye" and I didn't even know it.....LOL

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

oh dude, i played with a guy today who dragged his cart through the fringe at a heavy traffic club and proceeded to explain to us how it doesn't really make that much difference if he does it.
special.

I almost NEVER watch other folk's swings, because there will be SOMETHING that will stick in my head and mess with my head. Even if it's one of those days where you are asked to keep an eye on it because the sun is low or something, I find a way to watch the ball without watching the swing. I keep my mouth shut and let them play their game. I would want them to do the same. USually, if one of my buddies clanks a few, gets a bit upset and says things like "What am I doing?" "You suck, you NEVER practice, and you're not good enough to get mad. now, give me a beer" Is my usual response. It's a kind of running joke.
  • Upvote 1

I almost NEVER watch other folk's swings, because there will be SOMETHING that will stick in my head and mess with my head. Even if it's one of those days where you are asked to keep an eye on it because the sun is low or something, I find a way to watch the ball without watching the swing. I keep my mouth shut and let them play their game. I would want them to do the same. USually, if one of my buddies clanks a few, gets a bit upset and says things like "What am I doing?" "You suck, you NEVER practice, and you're not good enough to get mad. now, give me a beer" Is my usual response. It's a kind of running joke.

Really?  When I watch most people swing their swing looks so jacked up I can't even believe they can hit the ball let alone consider copying some part of it myself.  Which is amusing of course because they're probably thinking the same thing about me.

I rarely pay attention to other player swings.....

which is why I can't/don't give advice even when asked......

• Upvote 1

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

I actually got paired with 3 guys this weekend, and although plenty nice fellas, basically not a word of English between the 3 of them.  Not one of them even told me their name when I introduced myself to them.  We could communicate well enough to get through the round logistically, but wow, socially it was a tough. I kind of felt awkward after a while.  2 of the 3 were really pretty bad at golf and they didn't play very fast.  It was just a lot of waiting, watching really bad shots, and having no conversation (they had plenty, but I obviously didn't).

I have come to enjoy getting paired with folks for a round, but that was a tough day.  I would have much rather played by myself or maybe even not at all.

Note: This thread is 1703 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!