IGNORED

Tobacco on the Course

MPtheKid
Note: This thread is 3987 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by sebsmash

I get that some people like their smokes, and I have nothing against you guys.

But anytime I am paired up with someone who smokes I know that I will spend the entire round trying to hide upwind from him.

Try as I might I always go home smelling gross with a huge headache.

Not a fan of people that smoke on the course.

I can never remember coming home smelling like smoke after playing golf................

Not once....

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

I am glad that smoking has been restricted from indoor environments here in Ohio. I do not miss going to the club house and walking in to a face-high haze of smoke that barely allowed sunlight to cut through it. I am a smoker myself, but I do enjoy going golfing (or any other public place) and knowing that I only smell of my own activities (alcohol, gatorade, smoking - whatever) and that I don't smell like an ash-tray from simply paying my greens fees and walking past 20 people playing ucher and smoking their faces off.

I'm not tooting my own horn, because that's not what I do, but I do respect non-smokers and if I am paired with you I will ask you if you mind if I smoke. If you say yes, I will do it far enough away from you so that you don't get the second-hand smoke. I have played with an older, ex-smoker, who said he would prefer me to not smoke in the cart but anywhere else was fine. As a result, I would only light up when playing my approach shots and put it back out before I was near him.

The people in this thread who claim that smokers walk down the side-walk practically antagonizing them with smokes with that "F you" attitude towards the world... that's ridiculous and insane. Most smokers I know will go around the back of a building, alley, designated outdoor smoking area, or far enough away from entrances to not affect those entering/leaving areas. I'm not sure where the hell you people live though.

It's so easy to just respect one another and get off of your damn high horse, I'm just not sure why so many people put their panties on sideways in the mornings and walk around with a crappy attitude towards each other.

Originally Posted by Spyder

The people in this thread who claim that smokers walk down the side-walk practically antagonizing them with smokes with that "F you" attitude towards the world... that's ridiculous and insane. Most smokers I know will go around the back of a building, alley, designated outdoor smoking area, or far enough away from entrances to not affect those entering/leaving areas. I'm not sure where the hell you people live though.

It's so easy to just respect one another and get off of your damn high horse, I'm just not sure why so many people put their panties on sideways in the mornings and walk around with a crappy attitude towards each other.

The problem is that to those of us who don't smoke, the only people we see smoke are those who walk down a crowded sidewalk, not giving a damn about those around them. You say most smokers you know go around the back of the building, or get away from people, well us non-smokers don't see that. So the perception is totally different.

Like today, walking into work, a guy sitting outside on a seat of a coffee shop, smoking away as people walk by him. I know he's not inside smoking, its illegal. There is no difference to the damage he is doing people, if he was allowed inside or outside to smoke.

I do appreciate those that take the effort to make sure there not harming those around them, by smoking away from people.

It could be that people in Dayton are just a bunch of *******s who don't give a damn, i could be living in the wrong city :p

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by saevel25

The problem is that to those of us who don't smoke, the only people we see smoke are those who walk down a crowded sidewalk, not giving a damn about those around them. You say most smokers you know go around the back of the building, or get away from people, well us non-smokers don't see that. So the perception is totally different.

Like today, walking into work, a guy sitting outside on a seat of a coffee shop, smoking away as people walk by him. I know he's not inside smoking, its illegal. There is no difference to the damage he is doing people, if he was allowed inside or outside to smoke.

I do appreciate those that take the effort to make sure there not harming those around them, by smoking away from people.

It could be that people in Dayton are just a bunch of *******s who don't give a damn, i could be living in the wrong city :p

True, the perception is definitely different from both views.

I know that I, myself, will always be paranoid about it out of courtesy and make sure that I am first and foremost never smoking anywhere near, or within, a child's breathing space. After that, I make sure that I'm not bothering anyone else. It's my right to smoke anywhere I want to right now, including in the middle of a street or sidewalk so long as it is not explicitly prohibited - but it doesn't mean I'm that a-hole who will do it while saying "F you all, it's my right" like the guy you mentioned at the coffee shop.

In the world we live in though, the sad and unfortunate truth is that there is an abundance of a-holes and people who lack common sense and self-respect.

PS: I'm sure it's not just Dayton lol. Unfortunately, there are morons in every city.

I have a good friend that is a smoker..he goes out of his way to be out of the way because he knows I don't smoke.  When he comes over to the house, he'll actually go into the backyard just to make sure none of the smoke gets into the house.  He also asked me for one of our used milk jugs so he can dump the butts in there and keep them outside rather than throwing them on the ground or in our garbage.

I wish more smokers were like him..unfortunately I've either had horrible luck running into the 1% that is inconsiderate or they're a lot more prevalent than some in this thread seem to think they are.  They are the ones who ruin it for all the rest I think.

A little off-topic but relevant:  FSU is moving to be a tobacco free campus on January 1st.  I'm really curious to see how some of our habitual smokers are going to handle it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by saevel25

Carlos

No doubt some have gone overboard trying to make their point. Personally I don't like being around cigarette smoke for the same reason I don't like people standing next to me and farting. It's just a smell thing. More of a distraction than anything.

Dave :-)

I quit smoking by using e-cigarettes and its funny sometimes to watch people who don't smoke try to choke and cough around it :)  Little do they know..its just water vapor and there is no actual smoke involved.  All my golf buddies love it, though...love the smell.  Its like a nice pipe tobacco smell.

My philosophy on golf "We're not doing rocket science, here."

Originally Posted by ghalfaire

Tobacco will always solicit a lot of comments.  I am a reformed smoker and have not touched the stuff for over 24 years.  However when I smoked I enjoyed it. But I believe quitting was the most difficult thing I ever did and probably the best thing I ever did for my health.  For the record I don't enjoy playing with tobacco users but I keep my mouth shut as I know they can't help themselves.  I never met a tobacco user that I thought wouldn't quit if it was easy to.  It is an enjoyable addiction, but a dangerous one.

That is most probably true of cigarette smokers, but cigar smoker are just being self-indulgent (and that's fine; I believe my obsssion with golf is self-indulgent).

Bill M

I don't smoke anything, but I do love the smell of weed. Sometimes you'll catch a whiff from across a fairway... I love going to concerts for the same reason.

Colin P.

I quit smoking by using e-cigarettes and its funny sometimes to watch people who don't smoke try to choke and cough around it :)  Little do they know..its just water vapor and there is no actual smoke involved.  All my golf buddies love it, though...love the smell.  Its like a nice pipe tobacco smell.

It is a completely psycho somatic thing. Most of these people complaining are just doing it because that is what they do. There is always a solution, they just don't like it.

Happy Gilmore was a Hack!

I don't smoke anything, but I do love the smell of weed. Sometimes you'll catch a whiff from across a fairway... I love going to concerts for the same reason.

Yea buddy! :). I like to smoke weed and you're right, I like the smell of it.

my get up and go musta got up and went..

Yea buddy! :). I like to smoke weed and you're right, I like the smell of it.

Lol! I've actually never even tried it... I just know the smell and have always perked up to it.

Colin P.

I've never smoked (never tried it).  I find the smell disgusting, especially cigars, and causes me to get a headache so I'd prefer not to be around it but I'm not going to complain if someone smokes on a golf course.

I really don't think getting lung cancer from second hand smoke at the golf course is a concern.  If smokers are considerate, make an effort to not blow smoke near me and don't flick their ashes on the green I have no problem with someone smoking on the course.

Joe Paradiso

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

Quote:

Originally Posted by Meltdwhiskey

Agreed no one actually said that - but if you read a bunch of posts in a row, you get the feeling smoke is ruining peoples golfing experience or apparently one guy's experience riding in his car with the windows down. People seem pretty upset about it.  I just don't see it.  I don't experience it.  And if I could choose to play golf with a smoker or non - I'd take the non.  But I can't imagine being upset that someone might be smoking in a proximity to me the size of a tee box or a green.  An occasional whiff of smoke outdoors over a 4 hour period just doesn't seem like a big deal to me.

LOL, yeah, when I read something like that I stop taking the person seriously.  You are sitting at a stop light with a bunch of cars all polluting the air with their exhaust fumes, yet somehow you are able to detect one exhale of smoke from a cigarette in the car in front of you?  I'm sorry, but that is ridiculous.  (Unless he lives on Catalina Island or some similar place that doesn't allow cars and everybody drives electric golf carts - but I imagine that he would have mentioned that) ;)

The only thing I ever notice regarding smokers on the road is when one of them directly in front of me chucks a butt out the window at night.  You can see the little sparks from the end when its rolling on the ground, and I always have this ridiculous thought flash through my head as I'm driving over it that somehow it's going to bounce up into some part of my car and make me blow up. ;)

At the risk of sounding ridiculous, that happens to me all the time. Usually when sitting behind or next to someone at a light, but sometimes when following a car at low to moderate speeds, I can very clearly smell cigarette smoke. This is with my windows up - the air gets in through the vents. It's not a big deal - I just push the button to close the outside vents and problem solved. Or if it's a nice day and the windows are down, I just stop driving next to or behind them. But the point is, I smell cigarette smoke from other cars all the time. (I might smell exhaust fumes as well, but that's pretty rare with all the smog emissions legislation we have in CA - unless it's an old diesel of course.)

Now, full disclosure, I do have a better than average sense of smell. Just saying, it's not that ridiculous.

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

The only thing I ever notice regarding smokers on the road is when one of them directly in front of me chucks a butt out the window at night.  You can see the little sparks from the end when its rolling on the ground, and I always have this ridiculous thought flash through my head as I'm driving over it that somehow it's going to bounce up into some part of my car and make me blow up. ;)

+1 on that brother!

Bill

Originally Posted by sacm3bill

At the risk of sounding ridiculous, that happens to me all the time.

not ridiculous at all - even heading down the road.  If the smoker loves it so much, it seems they would shut the windows tight and enjoy all that great smoke for themselves and their families.  It's spring, it's warm, and we all want to open our windows for the fresh air.  But we can't, because those guys, who can't even appreciate fresh air are now adding their stench.

--it's not personal, but if traffic is slow and someone wants in front of me, I check to see if their window is 'smoker cracked' before I let them in front of me.  if so, they get boxed out and can hold for the next opening.  A guy could get stuck behind that car for miles.

Bill - 

Originally Posted by sacm3bill

At the risk of sounding ridiculous, that happens to me all the time. Usually when sitting behind or next to someone at a light, but sometimes when following a car at low to moderate speeds, I can very clearly smell cigarette smoke. This is with my windows up - the air gets in through the vents. It's not a big deal - I just push the button to close the outside vents and problem solved. Or if it's a nice day and the windows are down, I just stop driving next to or behind them. But the point is, I smell cigarette smoke from other cars all the time. (I might smell exhaust fumes as well, but that's pretty rare with all the smog emissions legislation we have in CA - unless it's an old diesel of course.)

I guess I didn't word that quite correctly.  I don't doubt that you guys are able to smell the cigarette smoke occasionally, but it's still not a basis an argument.  However much smoke you inhale from a couple of puffs from the car in front of you, it pales in comparison to what you're getting from the other car emissions.

That'd be like complaining that your cyanide pill has mold on it. ;)

• Upvote 1

Note: This thread is 3987 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!