IGNORED

Tobacco on the Course

MPtheKid
Note: This thread is 3969 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I don't care if people smoke on the course but a good percentage of smokers throw their butts down, littering up the course, and some drop lit cigs on the green when they putt. For dropping butts or lit cigs: first offense a week in the marine corps after dropping a butt in front of the DI, second offense butt put out in their eye.

Originally Posted by mtsalmela80

Because people like the little buzz. Same reason people drink, which is 100000000% more potentially harmful than smoking when abused.

Guess what, Uncle Sam makes a killing on both so they are not going anywhere.

Complain about it? All you accomplish is a higher blood pressure.

This is a dumb comment for several reasons:

1)   No one else shares in my habit when I have a few beers or glasses of wine - I'm not splashing it on people or going up and breathing right in their faces.  It is entirely possible to drink around other people, including both other drinkers and teetotallers, and bother absolutely no one.  Not at all possible with a cigarette.

2)   Beer or wine can be drunk purely as a beverage.  For me, nothing goes better with pizza or nachos than a good cold beer and nothing goes better with a steak or with pasta than a nice glass of wine.  Non-alcoholic beer and wine doesn't come close to replicating the subtle and delicious flavors of a good ale or Cab.  One glass of beer or wine is not going to cause any sort of buzz for most people - it is purely a beverage.  And most people prefer to consume beverages with their meals.  Cigarettes have no genuine use or purpose.  They are not necessary in any way or fashion.

The bottom line is show me a smoker who says that he/she is considerate towards non-smokers and the environment 100 percent of the time and I'll show you a person who is 99.9% likely to be lying.  I'm sure there are a few smokers out there (hence my concession of 0.1%, which is probably being overly generous by a factor of 10 or 100) who never, ever litter their butts or smoke around other people who aren't smokers, but I've never met one.

In my bag: - Ping G20 driver, 10.5 deg. S flex - Ping G20 3W, 15 deg., S flex - Nickent 4dx 3H, 4H - Nike Slingshot 4-PW - Adams Tom Watson 52 deg. GW - Vokey 58 deg. SW -Ping Half Wack-E putter

Wiseguy, I am sorry that humanity has failed you so miserably.  I personally don't play golf with a single person that throws their butts on the course.  And I would say half our league of 200 people smoke.  It is sad that you make such a rash generalization.

If what you guys say held true, I would say there would be cigarette butts all over the golf course like when I was a kid.  Now I see few in a day of golf no matter the course I am playing.

There will always be the A**&%le that throws his trash out at the light.  Can we start a thread about that please?

Happy Gilmore was a Hack!

You guys really expect us to believe you play with a large group of smokers none of whom throw their butts on the ground?

I've got some beachfront property in Arizona to sell you then.

As for the dippers, (which I was was for a brief time), don't leave your half-full spit cups laying around, or your half-full spit bottles.  Dang sure don't throw your dip out in the sink, the urinal or the toilet.

P.S.  You really think oral cancer is no big deal or you're not going to get it?

Originally Posted by wadesworld

You guys really expect us to believe you play with a large group of smokers none of whom throw their butts on the ground?

I've got some beachfront property in Arizona to sell you then.

As for the dippers, (which I was was for a brief time), don't leave your half-full spit cups laying around, or your half-full spit bottles.  Dang sure don't throw your dip out in the sink, the urinal or the toilet.

P.S.  You really think oral cancer is no big deal or you're not going to get it?

I believe him.  I might see 5 or 10 butts on a course (I'm not actively looking for them, to be fair) around the tee boxes or greens on any given day.  Considering the amount of time it takes to play a hole of golf and the amount of time it takes to smoke a cigarette, it doesn't take that many smokers to produce that many butts.  In fact, its perfectly feasible that they can be all from the same person.

Also, I can't tell you the last time I saw a spit cup laying around either.  Then again, this is probably attributable to the fact that you are in Tennessee and I am California. :)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by ilikefishes

Wiseguy, I am sorry that humanity has failed you so miserably.  I personally don't play golf with a single person that throws their butts on the course.  And I would say half our league of 200 people smoke.  It is sad that you make such a rash generalization.

If what you guys say held true, I would say there would be cigarette butts all over the golf course like when I was a kid.  Now I see few in a day of golf no matter the course I am playing.

There will always be the A**&%le that throws his trash out at the light.  Can we start a thread about that please?

Ah, the old "if you can't come up with a intelligent counter-argument, mischaracterize what the other guy says and do so in a pretty silly fashion so that you can dismiss him as being absurd" strategy (i.e. a strawman argument).  Go back and read carefully what I said.  I never said or even implied that all smokers do nothing but litter and act inconsiderately on a constant basis.  I said that there are virtually no smokers out there who are genuinely 100% considerate of others and of the environment.  Most smokers can and do refrain from being an ass with their filthy habit and some do so most or nearly all of the time.  But very, very few do so all of the time.

In my bag: - Ping G20 driver, 10.5 deg. S flex - Ping G20 3W, 15 deg., S flex - Nickent 4dx 3H, 4H - Nike Slingshot 4-PW - Adams Tom Watson 52 deg. GW - Vokey 58 deg. SW -Ping Half Wack-E putter

Originally Posted by Wisguy

Ah, the old "if you can't come up with a intelligent counter-argument, mischaracterize what the other guy says and do so in a pretty silly fashion so that you can dismiss him as being absurd" strategy (i.e. a strawman argument).

Hitler did that all the time... ; )

Bill - 

Originally Posted by ilikefishes

I can't speak for your specific group but almost every course I visit has cigarette butts on the ground.  I'll admit that I don't see many on the fairway or green but in the woods and rough there are plenty.   Let me guess no one you play golf with throws their butts out the window when they drive either.

What's even worse are the cigar smokers who leave their stogies on the greens so not only does it singe part of the green but they leave behind a chunk of ash for those that follow to deal with.

Joe Paradiso

Ah, the old "if you can't come up with a intelligent counter-argument, mischaracterize what the other guy says and do so in a pretty silly fashion so that you can dismiss him as being absurd" strategy (i.e. a strawman argument).  Go back and read carefully what I said.  I never said or even implied that all smokers do nothing but litter and act inconsiderately on a constant basis.  I said that there are virtually no smokers out there who are genuinely 100% considerate of others and of the environment .  Most smokers can and do refrain from being an ass with their filthy habit and some do so most or nearly all of the time.  But very, very few do so all of the time.

you can exchange "smoker" for "non smoker" in that sentence and its still true.

my get up and go musta got up and went..

Isn't there some sort of internet rule that requires we stop talking about a topic once somebody mentions Hitler?  Could've sworn I read that somewhere recently. ;)

Isn't there some sort of internet rule that requires we stop talking about a topic once somebody mentions Hitler?  Could've sworn I read that somewhere recently. ;)

[QUOTE]Godwin's law (also known as Godwin's Rule of Nazi Analogies or Godwin's Law of Nazi Analogies) is an assertion made by Mike Godwin in 1990 that has become an Internet adage. It states: "As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches 1." In other words, Godwin said that, given enough time, in any online discussion—regardless of topic or scope—someone inevitably makes a comparison to Hitler or the Nazis.[/QUOTE]

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Note: This thread is 3969 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!