IGNORED

2013 Players at TPC Sawgrass, Tiger and Sergio Feud Discussion Thread

mvmac
Note: This thread is 3984 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

nobilo, letting chamblee know that Tiger knows how to hit a draw and could do it with his eyes closed.

Colin P.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by colin007

nobilo, letting chamblee know that Tiger knows how to hit a draw and could do it with his eyes closed.

Hahaha, I caught that as well. I just shake my head sometimes when the commentators make certain comments. Johnny Miller (for his super arrogant criticism) and Chamblee usually make me do it the most.

Originally Posted by RonTheSavage

Brandel Chamblee thinks the 17th hole is helping prevent The Players Championship from becoming the fifth major in professional golf.

The hole, as golf fans know, is the 132-yard par-3 No. 17 at TPC Sawgrass in Ponte Vedra Beach, Fla., the site of The Players Championship, which is to be played this week and carried on the Golf Channel and NBC. It is the signature hole of the course.

During a conference call with reporters on Tuesday, Chamblee explained why he doesn't like it.

"I think it comes too late in the round," Chamblee said. "I think it has the potential to play too much of a role for the quality of the hole. It's 130 yards and . . . sometimes it's an absolute nothing short iron when the wind is not blowing.But when the wind is blowing, there is too much luck involved in the shot and too much of the penalty for a miss.

"I really do think this tournament should be a major," Chamblee said. "I absolutely think this tournament should be a major. I think one of the things that keeps it from really getting its due is the 17th hole. If you look at the way Augusta National or the Masters become a major, it grew into a major organically. There was a reverence there, an awe there, and over a period of time, people looked at it and went, this is a major. You can't deny the quality of the people and the quality of this golf course.

"But there's a contrived part of that 17th hole that makes it great TV, that makes it great drama, that I think just makes the feel of the golf course quirky," Chamblee said. "The rest of the golf course is fabulous. But . . . I love watching it as an analyst."

I love watching the 17th hole. I do feel it is gimicky and could be viewed as cheapening the course in some ways. I would love to play SG however I don't think I would love being a member there. Having a hole that could cost you 1 or 2 strokes as an amateur frequently would be annoying after a while I would believe. I do believe Brandel needs a shock collar controlled by viewers, that if a certain percentage of the viewers disagree with him, he gets zapped enough to wet his pants.

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

Well I always say a hole don't need to be long to be tough. I think having the lead on Sunday would make most golfers want to watch then be there with bad thoughts as wind and water and double bogeys come calling. Sunday pin is front right I believe. Tension and bad thoughts make 17 a great hole Risk reward there for sure. How many times have you heard pros say you need a little luck sometimes to win$$ that's almost a 10 million $$ tournament

I suppose all of you can do a better job that Mr. C at commentary. Why don't you have his job then?

Puts me in too high a tax bracket??? No pro woulld want to do me honors with an interview after I cut them with my comments? I got enough enemies?

I suppose all of you can do a better job that Mr. C at commentary. Why don't you have his job then?

So we have no right to criticize him? People criticize the president every day but will never have his job, should they stop too?

Colin P.

Originally Posted by mtsalmela80

Not that we could do a better job, he's just rude sometimes

Originally Posted by mtsalmela80

Chamblee has such a sanctimonious personality. He honestly believes that he is the ultimate judge in all matters golf related anyway. I suspect that is his nature which makes it easy to understand why he is divorced. That all being said it seems to me that he must be hooked up to slow humility drip serum since his Nancy Grace like destroy Tiger melt down! WIth out a doubt Chamblee is the worst cast member on the Golf Channel. You want a adequate replacement Rich Beem would be a great replacement IMO.

Look for TIger to take this tournament. Without a doubt TW is back and in control of his game. If he did not hit the flag stick at the Masters he would have had that tournament as well. Enjoy being able to watch the greatest golfer to ever play. It is like being able to have watched Babe Ruth play at the top of his career or Ali dominate Heavy weight boxing.

I don't mind Chamblee - he knows his golf history as much as almost anyone on TV right now.  Former player as well.  Commentators are supposed to have a position, point-of-view ---- he does a good job, imo.

Originally Posted by MPtheKid

Zach Johnson doing work on day 1....love it.

Spent three days out there at TPC (Tues/Wed/Thurs) and watched Zach a lot -especially on the putting green. He was missing a lot of putts on the practice green and clearly upset - good to see him on the top of the leaderboard, because truthfully, things weren't looking good for him during practice.

Looking forward to watching on TGC, online, and NBC.

Looking forward to watching online coverage.  It's 8AM and it's already on.  Somebody is doing it right.

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

Originally Posted by Matthew Brett

How many balls are gonna go into the drink on #17 this year?  I love this hole.  I can watch the tee offs all day.

Which is what makes it feel so gimmicky. You can hit a perfect shot, and a hard headwind can knock your ball down into the drink. I realize the weather is uncontrollable, but i've played TPC Sawgrass 4 times on Vacation (Wife grew up about in Ponte Verda until she was 15, then moved north to Canada, where her mom grew up, once her dad retired, now her parents and us own a pair of cottages not far from the clubhouse), and 17 is one of those holes that can completely rob a great shot from you at any given second.

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

I wouldn't get too worried about it ... it's Thursday after all. :)

Very true, but its certainly a nice way to set yourself up. Even if he shot 4 over today, he'd probably make the cut and be in the money this weekend. For the non Tigers/Phils/rory/Scotts, i'm guessing its all about getting into the money.

Originally Posted by club ho

Look for Tiger to take this tournament. Without a doubt TW is back and in control of his game. If he did not hit the flag stick at the Masters he would have had that tournament as well.

While I have no crystal ball, I do believe this to be true. I think the Masters was all his until he hit that pole and the media frenzy started.

In the Ogio Kingpin bag:

Titleist 913 D2 9.5* w/ UST Mamiya ATTAS 3 80 w/ Harrison Shotmaker & Billy Bobs afternarket Hosel Adaptor (get this if you don't have it for your 913)
Wilson Staff Ci-11 4-GW (4I is out of the bag for a hybrid, PW and up were replaced by Edel Wedges)
TaylorMade RBZ 5 & 3 Fairway Woods

Cobra Baffler T-Rail 3 & 4 Hybrids

Edel Forged 48, 52, 56, 60, and 64* wedges (different wedges for different courses)

Seemore Si-4 Black Nickel Putter

Originally Posted by bplewis24

Looking forward to watching online coverage.  It's 8AM and it's already on.  Somebody is doing it right.

Damn ...

What has 2 thumbs and ain't getting any work done today??

• Upvote 1

Note: This thread is 3984 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!