IGNORED

Charging for cancelled lesson

Note: This thread is 3999 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

One of the guys I see probably isn't a single digit handicap, probably isn't a 15. He's in his 70's and still plays but not great. He is a wealth of knowledge and very good at using video to teach. He's a good teacher and has the ability to get me back on track if I hit a low point.

Dave :-)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

To be honest it would depend on the results I was seeing.  I definitely wouldn't if he was charging me for missed lessons!

I have taken 3 lessons from an assistant pro who used to shoot mid 70's consistently then when he had 3 kids in the course of 5 years dropped to a mid 80's golfer. He knows what he's talking about, I enjoyed the lessons as well as he gave me good feedback and I saw results.  However, I'd say it was earlier in my golfing experience and I've yet to take any lessons since.   If I were to take lessons again I'd probably go with someone more prestigious and might be able to get more out of me.

But, to answer your question, I personally wouldn't be looking to take lessons from someone who shoots higher than me, no....but there can be exceptions.  Then again, I do live in an area that has a great deal of golf pros while other places might not be so privileged.

Originally Posted by BirdieNumNums

To be honest it would depend on the results I was seeing.  I definitely wouldn't if he was charging me for missed lessons!

I have taken 3 lessons from an assistant pro who used to shoot mid 70's consistently then when he had 3 kids in the course of 5 years dropped to a mid 80's golfer. He knows what he's talking about, I enjoyed the lessons as well as he gave me good feedback and I saw results.  However, I'd say it was earlier in my golfing experience and I've yet to take any lessons since.   If I were to take lessons again I'd probably go with someone more prestigious and might be able to get more out of me.

But, to answer your question, I personally wouldn't be looking to take lessons from someone who shoots higher than me, no....but there can be exceptions.  Then again, I do live in an area that has a great deal of golf pros while other places might not be so privileged.

Birdie, I AGREE COMPLETELY that there are exceptions....especially when it comes to the old crusty guys that sit in lawn chairs at the driving range--guys that were once good and have developed a lot of knowledge and experience.

But I wouldn't recommened that people looking for expert advice should pick a guide that has less than a stellar track record of applying his own advice to his own game. "I know I just laid the sod over that one but I'll show you the secrets that will allow you to stripe it." Not likely.

I don't craft my life around looking for exceptions; but I do allow myself to be pleasantly surprised when they actually appear.

Originally Posted by virtuoso

Birdie, I AGREE COMPLETELY that there are exceptions....especially when it comes to the old crusty guys that sit in lawn chairs at the driving range--guys that were once good and have developed a lot of knowledge and experience.

But I wouldn't recommened that people looking for expert advice should pick a guide that has less than a stellar track record of applying his own advice to his own game. "I know I just laid the sod over that one but I'll show you the secrets that will allow you to stripe it." Not likely.

I don't craft my life around looking for exceptions; but I do allow myself to be pleasantly surprised when they actually appear.

I'm way more of a visual learner. I cant really grasp it when they say "just swing out right more!" or when they grab your club and move you to a position...it helps me significantly more if i can stand 2 feet from the instructor and see the movement, then attempt to mimic it. For that reason, I think I'd have to have an instructor that still has the "chops"

That being said, I kicked field goals in college. One of my favorite coaches couldnt kick an extra point if his life depended on it, but he knew the fundamentals and the thoughts I should be having. He was a great resource. Theres room for everything if you can decipher the information coming at you.

Note: This thread is 3999 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!