IGNORED

Is Vijay a Jerk or "Justified": Files Suit Against PGA Tour

Mr. Desmond
Note: This thread is 3088 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

7 members have voted

1. 1. Is Vijay a Jerk or Justified for filing a lawsuit against the PGA Tour?

• Jerk
    • Justified

Originally Posted by turtleback

A) The Tour didn't put it on the list, at the time it was on the international list that the Tour and almost every other sport uses.

B) The Tour didn't publicize his use of the substance - he did it himself by talking about it with a reporter who did an article.

C) The Tour never said a word about it until the statement clearing him.  He may have taken criticism about it, but that was not because of anything the Tour did.

I would not be happy in his shoes, but I wouldn't try to shift the blame from myself, where it truly lies, to the Tour which did almost nothing at all to bring on the public calumny.  And THAT, my friend, is why he is being a jerk.

I would be PISSED if I were in Vijay's shoes.  I would also be PISSED if I were in Lee Janzen's shoes.  And the REASONS are identical: because I clearly didn't pay enough attention to the PUBLISHED rules and when I disobeyed those PUBLISHED rules I came off looking like someone who either doesn't care about the rules or is too lazy to read and follow instructions.

In BOTH cases I'd be pissed at myself.  Nobody else.  Because it was NOBODY's fault but mine that I didn't follow simple instructions.

• Upvote 1

• 2 years later...

http://www.geoffshackelford.com/homepage/2015/11/11/vijay-singhs-battle-against-the-tour-comes-into-focus.html

Vijay! "Singh's battle against the Tour comes into focus"

The lawyers are racking up big billable hours right now in Vijay vs The People Who Helped Make Me Rich, with the PGA Tour and the legendary golfer filing motions for a voluntary, non-binding dispute resolution hearing with a mediator. 

singh_1442_wellsfargo15_headshot.jpg?itoAs Rex Hoggard reports for GolfChannel.com, "the lawsuit reached a milestone last week with a flurry of filings," with over 130 filings posted to the public record with no shortage of redactions. Still, Hoggard was able to go through the filings to find some intriguing elements to the messy case brought by Singh.

There was this:

Some of the discovery offers a glimpse into the nuanced world of anti-doping, like an email exchange between Ty Votaw, the Tour’s executive vice president of communications, and a golf writer from the Associated Press who asked, among other things, if deer antler spray was on the Tour’s list of banned substances.

Votaw responded that, yes, deer antler spray is on the Tour’s banned substances list, when in fact it is not. The substance IGF-1, an ingredient found in the spray, is on the banned list, but not the product itself. It’s a nuanced distinction but central to Singh’s claim that the Tour was negligent in its handling of his case.

And then in the TMI HOF files, there was this image of Jason Dufner in the men's room reading the tour's warning regarding use of deer antler spray.

“[Dufner] said it was accidental how he read it,” Singh said in the deposition. “He was sitting in a can having a you-know-what and it was laying on the floor so he picked it up, and he was surprised that it was on it.

“He said if he hadn’t been in the can at that moment in time, he’d have never known that it was [on the banned list].”

Many items were redacted according to Hoggard. Just not that one.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 3088 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!