IGNORED

If Golf is a Global Game, Why All the Flags for Players?

Mr. Desmond
Note: This thread is 3972 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I saw an opening scene to the Players where they inscribe the player's name, flag of his Country, and Name of his Country.

That's a lot of emphasis on Country.

I know we have the Ryder, President's, et al Cups, but why does the Tour promote differences among players and their Countries? Doesn't this divide rather than unite? And is it not one Tour of Professional Players?

I don't think weekly PGA Tournaments have a competition among Countries. Is it fun? Something they do without thinking?

Why?

Inquiring minds want to ... or maybe they don't want to know.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I assume the flags are there to show us that it's a global game.  They're informative.

The TV guys also really like to play up the "no American has won this event in x amount of years" or "only 2 international players have won this event since 1987" angles, and those flags allow us to follow along with that drama easily enough.

Thirdly, it's a fun game to play to try and guess the country of some of the lesser known flags. :)

• Upvote 1

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

I assume the flags are there to show us that it's a global game.  They're informative.

This was my thought as well.

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5°) · PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15° and 21°) · PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22°, 25°, and 28°) · PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) · Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50°, 55°, 60°) · Edel Classic Blade Putter (32") · Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour · Pinned Prism Rangefinder · Star Grips · Flightscope Mevo · TRUE Linkswear Shoes · Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

The TV guys also really like to play up the "no American has won this event in x amount of years" or "only 2 international players have won this event since 1987" angles, and those flags allow us to follow along with that drama easily enough.

Thirdly, it's a fun game to play to try and guess the country of some of the lesser known flags. :)

Back when the PGA Tour's International was still being played in Colorado, Castle Pines made a point of flying the national flag for every country represented in the field.  I believe that it was the first such event (starting in 1986) on the PGA Tour, which went out of its way to encourage and promote international participation.  The first non-American winner was Greg Norman.  Others were Olazabal, Singh, Els, Pampling and Goosen.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

But doesn't it promote differences instead of unity?

Or does it promote competition between countries and is that competition good?

Okay, where are the Russians?

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

But doesn't it promote differences instead of unity? Or does it promote competition between countries and is that competition good? Okay, where are the Russians?

It doesn't promote anything. It simply recognizes that there are differences, and a certain diversity. The Russians are out back, drunk.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

I think it's considerate to recognize the player's country. Adds an element of respect and unity by recognizing the diversity. Probably not necessary but it's not a detraction.

• Upvote 1

Dave :-)

Originally Posted by David in FL

It doesn't promote anything. It simply recognizes that there are differences, and a certain diversity.

The Russians are out back, drunk.

I think it says "we are better than you" when you see all those flags of one or two countries.

It could prompt other countries to begin a state-mandated golf program to "catch up."

What did Korea do?

Originally Posted by Mr. Desmond

I saw an opening scene to the Players where they inscribe the player's name, flag of his Country, and Name of his Country.

That's a lot of emphasis on Country.

I know we have the Ryder, President's, et al Cups, but why does the Tour promote differences among players and their Countries? Doesn't this divide rather than unite? And is it not one Tour of Professional Players?

I don't think weekly PGA Tournaments have a competition among Countries. Is it fun? Something they do without thinking?

Why?

Inquiring minds want to ... or maybe they don't want to know.

I agree, perplexes me why some believe the path to universal acceptance is to constantly highlight our differences.

Joe Paradiso

Originally Posted by newtogolf

I agree, perplexes me why some believe the path to universal acceptance is to constantly highlight our differences.

Yep.

We come together by setting one flag against another.... oh ... yeah.

Perhaps some friendly competition between countries! Highlights the global reach of golf. Provides some basic background information about the players. All good things, IMO.

Originally Posted by David in FL

It doesn't promote anything. It simply recognizes that there are differences, and a certain diversity.

The Russians are out back, drunk.

i'd like to get drunk with this russian...

• Upvote 1

Colin P.

Originally Posted by colin007

i'd like to get drunk with this russian...

I'll bring the vodka ... or better, the tequila.

No woman can handle tequila.

Originally Posted by sofingaw

Perhaps some friendly competition between countries!

Highlights the global reach of golf.

Provides some basic background information about the players.

All good things, IMO.

I think it's a balance.

Friendly competition between regions can heighten the game and bring drama ... witness highly competitive Ryder Cups.

But too much emphasis on flag waiving can divide and lead to boorish behavior. We must seek harmony, grasshopper.

Sure, it can get out of hand. But I haven't noticed anything too wild outside of Ryder Cup stuff. The regular tour events are an individual thing, by and large.

Global sporting or educational events draw people from many nations of the world.

At the college where I teach, we have students from more than 100 nations. At graduation, flagbearers from the different countries line the outside rim of the seating amphitheatre as the graduates walk in.

To me, globalization does not mean that everyone melts together into some blah non-culture. It means varied people contribute personal elements of value to larger ventures that have the potential to benefit many countries.

You have a team, but it's nice to know who's on the "roster."

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Originally Posted by WUTiger

Global sporting or educational events draw people from many nations of the world.

At the college where I teach, we have students from more than 100 nations. At graduation, flagbearers from the different countries line the outside rim of the seating amphitheatre as the graduates walk in.

To me, globalization does not mean that everyone melts together into some blah non-culture. It means varied people contribute personal elements of value to larger ventures that have the potential to benefit many countries.

You have a team, but it's nice to know who's on the "roster."

Yes, I agree.

I just like understatement.

When I saw the "Players" commercial, with the flag of the country under the player's name and the name of the country prominently displayed, it struck me as "too much" and got me thinking.

That's a dangerous thing....

Its just to note where they are from.  Id say it is to show that its a global game and to promote competition between countires.  I wouldnt say that it divides us because for tour players its them vs the world anyways, so they are already divided.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

Note: This thread is 3972 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!