IGNORED

If Golf is a Global Game, Why All the Flags for Players?

Mr. Desmond
Note: This thread is 3999 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

From Canadia's preeminent philosopher, Neil Peart - "Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled"

Colin P.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

"Citizen of the world" is more of a spiritual sense than an actual one.

People are citizens of nations - except for unfortunate refugees in many parts of the world.

This concept of "citizens of the world" gets lots of discussion. Ronald Reagan, a conservative, promoted it, whereas many liberal political scientists remind us that citizens are tied to nations.

This danger of renouncing nation and being a "citizen of the world" was borne out in the old Steve McQueen movie, "The Sand Pebbles." The story was based on the real Panay incident in 1937. During a Chinese uprising against Western government outposts and their merchants, some idealistic Western missionairies declare them citizens of the world. These internationalists lose the protection of the US Navy forces, and end up being killed by a Chinese militia as "foreign devils."

I would suggest we can improve the world by striving to be "spiritual citizens" willing to positively engage people of other nations. World government, however, isn't likely to come about, no do I see it as desirable. Just look at the botch jobs at the United Nations, and the World Bank.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

"Citizen of the world" is more of a spiritual sense than an actual one. People are citizens of nations - except for unfortunate refugees in many parts of the world. This concept of "citizens of the world" gets lots of discussion. Ronald Reagan, a conservative, promoted it, whereas many liberal political scientists remind us that citizens are tied to nations. This danger of renouncing nation and being a "citizen of the world" was borne out in the old Steve McQueen movie, "The Sand Pebbles." The story was based on the real Panay incident in 1937. During a Chinese uprising against Western government outposts and their merchants, some idealistic Western missionairies declare them citizens of the world. These internationalists lose the protection of the US Navy forces, and end up being killed by a Chinese militia as "foreign devils." I would suggest we can improve the world by striving to be "spiritual citizens" willing to positively engage people of other nations. World government, however, isn't likely to come about, no do I see it as desirable. Just look at the botch jobs at the United Nations, and the World Bank.

I think his point is the contrast, that nationalistic pride can lead to messes like the one you referenced. Nobody is inherently better than anyone else just because of where they happened to be born, but people seem to think that they are. It's better to be compassionate to all people, not just the ones who happened to be born where you were.

Colin P.

• Administrator
Originally Posted by Mr. Desmond

I think it says "we are better than you" when you see all those flags of one or two countries.

I think it is proof that you're looking too hard to be offended by something.

They're flags for the country of the winner. Nothing more.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Originally Posted by iacas

I think it is proof that you're looking too hard to be offended by something.

They're flags for the country of the winner. Nothing more.

Offended?

No.

Just commenting and attempting to stir up thought provoking threads.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

If I'm looking at a sport where "my" country is not doing as well as others, or has fallen, I'm asking:

What are they doing "right" and what can we learn from them?

Does that sport fit my country or a niche?

Has our culture changed so much that we have fallen in this sport, or are we doing such a fine job of marketing that sport to other countries they they are catching us?

As to the jingoistic v citizen of the world attitude, it's a balance. Doesn't have to be balanced evenly, but extremes typically lead to poor results in the long run.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Originally Posted by Mr. Desmond

As to the jingoistic v citizen of the world attitude, it's a balance. Doesn't have to be balanced evenly, but extremes typically lead to poor results in the long run.

i think the only bad result could come from the jingoistic extreme.  i could be wrong tho, i dont always see both sides of the coin.

Colin P.

Note: This thread is 3999 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!