IGNORED

Looking to upgrade to new irons - overwhelmed

Note:Β This thread is 3940 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!

Hello all. I am a 16 HC looking to upgrade to new irons, but there is a lot out there so I was looking for some advice. I currently am using 2002 callaway big berthas w/ uniflex shafts. While they are ok, I feel like my play has outgrown them over the years, and I feel like I am hitting them sky high. I also am thinking of getting a stiffer shaft. I hit an 8 iron 150-155 yards on average. I was looking at callaway pre owned, and there is just so much there. Do you guys have any suggestions? Thank you for your help!

First of all, welcome to the Sandtrap! Personally, I would tell you to go with what looks good to you. I think feeling confidence when looking down at your club is very important. Also hitting an 8 155 yards means you're probably plenty long to play most courses. Get fitted for loft, lie, length and see what they say about shaft flex. Good luck!

Colin P.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Thank you for the advice! There is a local golf galaxy in my area to look at some clubs, but I've heard mixed reviews about their club fitting. Is that a decent place to go for a quality fitting? Thanks!

I don't know much about golf galaxy but I recently purchased and fitted my clubs.....just go to one of those fitting days at golf town. I went with Mizuno, fitted (jpx pro) and I really have say it was a great experience all around. Good luck!

Originally Posted by innohockey

Thank you for the advice! There is a local golf galaxy in my area to look at some clubs, but I've heard mixed reviews about their club fitting. Is that a decent place to go for a quality fitting?

Thanks!

iron fitting is not really rocket science.Β  they put impact stickers on the bottom of the club and see where you contact the ground to adjust the lie, the length a lot based on your wrist to floor measurement, its not too hard to do.

Colin P.

After some research, I ended up going with a used set of Cleveland TA7 Tour Irons. They have stiff Dynamic Gold steel shafts in them, which are definitely an upgrade from the uniflex shafts I've been using. I really like the clean simple look of the clubs and feel as well.

Originally Posted by innohockey

After some research, I ended up going with a used set of Cleveland TA7 Tour Irons. They have stiff Dynamic Gold steel shafts in them, which are definitely an upgrade from the uniflex shafts I've been using. I really like the clean simple look of the clubs and feel as well.

are you going to get fitted for length and lie angle?

Colin P.

Fitting based on height and wrist-to-floor is a static fitting -- best kind of fitting IMHO. My wish for you would be to see if you can find a pro that you like and get a lesson. He/she should be able to confirm your club specs for THE SWING YOU HOPE TO HAVE during that first lesson. A few lessons will help more than that new driver we all lust to have in our bags.

Russ - Student of the Moe Norman swing as taught by the pros at -Β http://moenormangolf.com

Titleist 910 D3 8.5* w/ Project X shaft/Β Titleist 910F 15* w/ Project X shaft

Cobra Baffler 20* & 23*Β hybrids with Accra hybrid shafts

MizunoΒ MP-53 irons 5Iron-PW AeroTech i95 shafts stiff and soft stepped once/MizunoΒ MP T-11 50.6/56.10/MP T10 60*

Seemore PCB putter with SuperStroke 3.0

Srixon 2012 Z-Star yellow balls/ Iomic Sticky 2.3, X-EvolutionΒ grips/Titleist Lightweight Cart Bag---

extra/alternate clubs:Β Mizunos JPX-800 Pro 5-GWΒ with Project X 5.0 soft-stepped shafts

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update on this one.Β  Have been playing with the TA7 tours for a couple weeks, and these clubs are a much better fit for me than my big berthas.Β  The dg s300's are much better suited to my swing, and I am hitting the ball about 5 yards farther per club.Β  I can also control the trajectory of the ball much easier. This may be due more to the different iron heads though.Β  I like the increased weight of the shafts, it feels more comfortable for me throughout the swing.Β  Also I have also increased my accuracy quite a bit, I played 9 holes on Sunday and hitΒ 6 GIR. I can't remember the last time I was able to do that.Β  My putting on the other hand...need to practice a bit more.Β Gotta eliminate those 3 putts

Originally Posted by solarbear

If you are interested in Callaway preowned, perhaps x18-22 tour irons. Β Have a cavity but little offset.

Sounds to me like you need a different shaft.

Take a look at the X20 Tours. The X22 Tours proved a bit difficult to hit, in comparison, according to side-by-side reviews.

Many of the X20 Tours came with PX 6.0 shafts, which are about the stiffest of the normal Stiff range. Most golfers often found the 6.0 too harsh. Get an idea of what shaft you need, and see if you can find a match.

(I was really lucky - stumbled across a set shafted in PX 5.0)

If the TA7 Tours are working, congrats. Another solid iron set.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• CompletedΒ KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking Academy:Β Fitting, Assembly & RepairΒ School (2012)

Driver:Β  :touredge:Β EXSΒ 10.5Β°, weights neutralΒ  Β ||Β Β FWs:Β Β :callaway:Β RogueΒ 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball: Β image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.pngΒ QStar Tour - DivideΒ  ||Β Β Bag: :sunmountain:Β Three 5 stand bag

• 1 month later...
Just a quick update and a question. So far really enjoying these irons, I have added some photos. They have been great, and I have been very happy with their performance. In all honesty it is probably the stiffer shaft that has been the best improvement over my old clubs. The only issue that I am having is that the Pitching wedge has a really harsh upright lie angle, different by quite a large margin to my 9 iron, but the 3-9 irons are just fine (standard, similar to the big bertha set I have). I have actually been using the 46* 10 iron from my BB set because of it. Was that typical of Cleveland irons at that time (2002), or was that probably adjusted by the previous owner? Thanks! http://s1285.photobucket.com/user/jtw5050/media/photo2_zps8a7a423c.jpg.html?sort=3&o;=0#/user/jtw5050/media/photo_zpsf0ae3f42.jpg.html?sort=3&o;=1&_suid=137348389227903653685256719143

Note:Β This thread is 3940 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!