IGNORED

Bryce Harper's Swing

dsc123
Note: This thread is 3981 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by Lefty-Golfer

So I went to the comics section and what I learned is that Butch Harmon, Johnie Miller, Hank Haney and all of the rest of the guys referenced are stupid, stealing your money and worthless...but the 20 or whatever the number of contributors is in the thread are raising the golf swing to new levels... so the obvious question of why do those guys make millions teaching the best players in the world we the rest of you who are obviously much more informed on the golf swing are posting on an internet forum... wait now i remember - in this thread you don't think the weight in swing referenced has been transfered to the front side - good luck with that.

this is kind of like the movie back to school - where the professor who never ran a business was explaining to the guy who donates building - how to run a business. thanks for the laugh.

I think what you should take away from the comics section is knowledge that even good instructors can be wrong about things from time to time.  Just because somebody is posted in there doesn't mean they are an idiot.  And a lot of the tips in there, I believe, relate to the old school ball flight laws, which have only fairly recently been shown (to a wide audience) to be erroneous.

Also, you can spin it however you want, but the fact is that in this thread - the one where you are smugly feeling superior to everybody else - you are the one who said that your weight could simultaneously be forward and back, it has been pointed out to you multiple times, and you still haven't answered for it.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

I think what you should take away from the comics section is knowledge that even good instructors can be wrong about things from time to time.  Just because somebody is posted in there doesn't mean they are an idiot.  And a lot of the tips in there, I believe, relate to the old school ball flight laws, which have only fairly recently been shown (to a wide audience) to be erroneous.

Also, you can spin it however you want, but the fact is that in this thread - the one where you are smugly feeling superior to everybody else - you are the one who said that your weight could simultaneously be forward and back, it has been pointed out to you multiple times, and you still haven't answered for it.

Also, you can spin it however you want, but the fact is that in this thread - the one where you are smugly feeling superior to everybody else - you are the one who said that your weight could simultaneously be forward and back, it has been pointed out to you multiple times, and you still haven't answered for it

i have answered for it - i kept it nice i even went as far as to say that i think we agree but focus different or something along those lines. from there it went to words matter and his weight can't can't do this or that...the smugness was not brought out by me. i actually dropped it because it just doesn't matter...then i happen to be glancing at a mag...and it came back up. the high and mighty i am correct attitude is all over this thread.

the funny thing is i still think we agree - there is actually no way we can't agree if you want to be open minded about everyone is saying...they are just words. if you look at the actuall pics and use your head of course you will agree.

the funny thing to me is there are a bunch of golfers here correcting me on the terminology of a baseball swing. Iacas may be a golf pro but he is way behind in discussing a baseball swing with me.

Driver- Callaway Razor somthing or other
3W- Taylor Made R11S
3H Rocketballz
4I-PW- MP-59
Gap- Vokey 54

Lob- Cleveland 60

Putter- Rife

Skycaddie SG5  

Harper has a sweet swing, huh?

Dan

:tmade: R11s 10.5*, Adila RIP Phenom 60g Stiff
:ping: G20 3W
:callaway: Diablo 3H
:ping:
i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff
:vokey: Vokey SM4 54.14 
:vokey: Vokey :) 58.11

:scotty_cameron: Newport 2
:sunmountain: Four 5

Originally Posted by dsc123

Harper has a sweet swing, huh?

it works for him...most guys don't have enough talent to do what he does.

3W- Taylor Made R11S
3H Rocketballz
4I-PW- MP-59
Gap- Vokey 54

Lob- Cleveland 60

Putter- Rife

Skycaddie SG5  

i have answered for it - ...

I would consider answering for it something along the lines of an admission that I mis-spoke.  You would admit that saying his weight is forward and back simultaneously doesn't make sense, right?  You haven't done that yet that I've seen.  You just skipped ahead to the "well, I guess you guys know everything and top pro teachers are morons" passive aggressive stage.

it works for him...most guys don't have enough talent to do what he does.

Or enough weight, you know, to be in two places at once and all... :-P

• Upvote 1

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

I would consider answering for it something along the lines of an admission that I mis-spoke.  You would admit that saying his weight is forward and back simultaneously doesn't make sense, right?  You haven't done that yet that I've seen.  You just skipped ahead to the "well, I guess you guys know everything and top pro teachers are morons" passive aggressive stage.

i didn't didn't misspeak, i said exactly what i intended and exactly what happens... the cuteness is not my style.

at this point I just find it interesting that so many here know so much more about it. the only ones it seems who disagree are guys who have been incredibly successful made millions and count multiple tour players as clients... yea i am sure they have no idea what they are saying but the golfingdad and forum pro have the info needed...because "words matter" and "you can't have your weight in 2 places at once"

listen at the end of it you or anyone can't see his weight is behind the ball and transfered forward i don't care, your quest for detail and definition will not allow you to see the forrest thru the trees....and that is fine but it doesn't mean you are correct. so carry on splitting hairs.

3W- Taylor Made R11S
3H Rocketballz
4I-PW- MP-59
Gap- Vokey 54

Lob- Cleveland 60

Putter- Rife

Skycaddie SG5  

Harper's a lot of fun to watch, too.  I've seen him take second on ground balls to left field when the fielder doesn't hustle.  A week or two ago, he doubled on a ground ball through the right side that got all the way to the wall in a hurry.

Then there was this:

Quote:
First inning, Hamels, the Phillies pitcher, plunks Harper, throwing a laser right into the small of his back, an unmistakable message of “ Welcome to the NL East, punk .” Harper shrugs it off, then hustles to third on a Werth single. Then comes the big moment. Hamels, a lefty, has his back to Harper as he pitches from the stretch. He tosses the ball to first to chase Werth back to the bag. Then he does it again, and as he throws, Harper dashes home. Beats the throw, safe! No one steals home, and certainly no teenager steals home on national television in his prime-time debut. I don’t care what else this kid does, that was instantly legendary. Years from now, I can say I was there when Harper stole home in his rookie season, and can embellish the story by saying he gave me a high-five on the way back to the dugout and later we went out for beers.

I'm feeling a bit like Tontj5.

• Upvote 1

Dan

i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff

Originally Posted by dsc123

Harper's a lot of fun to watch, too.  I've seen him take second on ground balls to left field when the fielder doesn't hustle.  A week or two ago, he doubled on a ground ball through the right side that got all the way to the wall in a hurry.

I'm feeling a bit like Tontj5.

Fair point ... I'm done with Mr. Brick Wall anyways.

I gotta be honest, when I first read about him in SI back when he was still in high school, I thought "wow, this kid seems like a giant punk, and I can't wait to see him fail."  Do you remember that article?  They were calling him the LeBron of baseball, talking about how he hits the ball 500 feet, he was in college early just for baseball, etc, etc.  It was probably mostly because of the eye black..

Anyways, fast forward to now, and I have a totally different view.  He doesn't come across as a cocky a-hole primadonna, but more as a 'hustling, would rather hit a home run and grin than charge the mound after a brushback' type of guy.  [EDIT:  I didn't actually read your story in the last post until after I wrote this post, however, that is the perfect example of why I grew to like him.  That happened last year, and I remember it quite well ... that highlight was when he won me as a fan.]  My kind of player.  I haven't watched a lot of baseball yet this year, but when I have seen him play (the last time was when he decided to forget why the warning track was there in Dodger Stadium ... whoops) it's been entertaining.

Oh, and it doesn't hurt his case that he happens to be on my (1st place) fantasy team.

I was only kidding.

But I know what you mean about Bryce.  In the minors he hit a home run and blew a kiss at the pitcher. http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=6634378 He's hasn't had any antics like that in the pro's yet.

I'm a Yankee fan through and through, but living outside DC I root for the nats, too.  Went to Strasburg's first game, which was amazing.  With those two guys this team is a lot of fun to watch.

I hope your league is a keeper league.

Dan

i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff

i think he was a cocky kid who was as good as he thought he was, that is very rare. over the last 12 months he seems to have grown up quite bit. i was speaking to baseball guy in California about a year and half ago, he said at 13 Harper's family announced that he was no longer going to pay to be a part of the team but would play for free and by the time he was 15 it was make me an offer to come...LOL i guess you would grow up fast that way!

The youth baseball circuit in CA is totally out of control but it is good baseball.

3W- Taylor Made R11S
3H Rocketballz
4I-PW- MP-59
Gap- Vokey 54

Lob- Cleveland 60

Putter- Rife

Skycaddie SG5  

• Administrator

well it was actually David Ledbetter...but hell what would he know.

Surprisingly little.

this is kind of like the movie back to school - where the professor who never ran a business was explaining to the guy who donates building - how to run a business. thanks for the laugh.

No. In this movie, I'm a better golf instructor than someone who says you have to have your weight "behind the ball" to hit the ball far. And I've got the data to back it up.

i didn't didn't misspeak, i said exactly what i intended and exactly what happens... the cuteness is not my style.

You said the weight was in two places at the same time. Back and "transferred 100% forward" or something like that. Saying that you misspoke is the easy way out.

Originally Posted by Lefty-Golfer

the only ones it seems who disagree are guys who have been incredibly successful made millions and count multiple tour players as clients...

If they say the ball starts along your swing path and finishes where the face is pointing, are they right just because they've somehow taught PGA Tour players?

Nope. And they have said things like that.

Originally Posted by Lefty-Golfer

listen at the end of it you or anyone can't see his weight is behind the ball and transfered forward i don't care

Oops. You "mis-spoke" again.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Note: This thread is 3981 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!