IGNORED

Sergio Garcia: Potential Hall of Famer?

ThatBeldenKid
Note: This thread is 3991 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Would you put Sergio Garcia in the Hall of Fame?

• Yes, right now
    • Only if he can win a few more tournaments
    • Only if he can win a major
    • Only if he can win multiple majors

This past weekend at the Players got me thinking about Sergio Garcia's career as a whole. Sure, he's more well known for his meltdowns and near misses than his successes on the big stages, but he's had a really fine career.

Take a look: he's got ten wins on the European tour and eight on the PGA. Among these wins are a Players Championship and an HSBC Champions. He's racked up three runner ups in majors, and he has a ton of top tens. Over the years, he's been a Ryder Cup stud. Hall of Fame voters have historically voted in guys with around twenty victories and one major. Sergio's thirty-three years old and has a ton of time on his side. The question: if he can get a major at some point in his career, would you put Sergio Garcia in the World Golf Hall of Fame?

• Administrator

I predicted about eight or nine years ago Sergio would never win a major.

Frankly I don't think Monty should be in the Hall of Fame, because he never won in the U.S. OR a major!

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

He's got 8 PGA Tour wins and 10 Euro Tour wins. 0 majors, 0 WGC wins. The 2008 Players win is really his only top-flight tournament, except for maybe the two Buick Classic wins. It doesn't look like any of his Euro wins are particularly tough fields either. Right now? No. I think he needs multiple major wins and a few more wins in other big tournaments to get there.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

I think one major would push him there.

In the Ogio Kingpin bag:

Titleist 913 D2 9.5* w/ UST Mamiya ATTAS 3 80 w/ Harrison Shotmaker & Billy Bobs afternarket Hosel Adaptor (get this if you don't have it for your 913)
Wilson Staff Ci-11 4-GW (4I is out of the bag for a hybrid, PW and up were replaced by Edel Wedges)
TaylorMade RBZ 5 & 3 Fairway Woods

Cobra Baffler T-Rail 3 & 4 Hybrids

Edel Forged 48, 52, 56, 60, and 64* wedges (different wedges for different courses)

Seemore Si-4 Black Nickel Putter

Originally Posted by iacas

I predicted about eight or nine years ago Sergio would never win a major.

Frankly I don't think Monty should be in the Hall of Fame, because he never won in the U.S. OR a major!

And one of his biggest claims to fame (winning a bunch of Order of Merits in a row) is a bit of a sham. There were a number of years where Tiger won more money on the Euro Tour than Monty, but because Tiger wasn't a member of the Tour, it didn't count. So Monty would "win" the Order of Merit on a technicality, and then this gets stamped on his Hall of Fame plaque. Pretty lame.

Sergio?

No way.

20 PGA Tour Wins and 2 Majors would do it, but I don't see it happening. It might take more... I think that HOF is still embarrassed that Couples made it in because he's a good guy (50.1% of vote).

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Originally Posted by jamo

He's got 8 PGA Tour wins and 10 Euro Tour wins. 0 majors, 0 WGC wins. The 2008 Players win is really his only top-flight tournament, except for maybe the two Buick Classic wins. It doesn't look like any of his Euro wins are particularly tough fields either.

Right now? No. I think he needs multiple major wins and a few more wins in other big tournaments to get there.

I would count his HSBC Champions as a WGC, for all intents and purposes. A really strong field, and it was about to become a WGC at that point.

He'll need at least one major, most likely two.  He's not as well liked as Couples and I can't imagine him getting selected to captain a Ryder Cup team unless he has a significant attitude change so that just leaves his golfing accomplishments to get him in.

Joe Paradiso

He'll win a major eventually. With that being said, I still think he'll miss the HOF.

In The Bag:

Driver: None

3 Wood: None

5 Wood: Bobby Jones by Jesse Ortiz

2 Iron: Spalding Top Flite 73

4-PW: Giga Golf C510 Pursuit

60 Degree Wedge by Titleist 

Putter: Wilson Harmonized Augusta

Ball: Slazenger Raw Distance Feel

Too bad there wasn't the 'Only if he pulls his head out of his a$$' option.

He's only what - 30, 32? I think by the time his career is done he could be a candidate, but what are his credentials now? Handful of PGA Tour wins & a couple of Ryder Cup wins?

No way.

• Upvote 1

Only if he wins multiple majors.  I personally dont see Sergio ever winning a major, let alone multiple majors and just dont see him ever making it into the HOF.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

I'm in the "needs multiple majors" camp......he's just not on a trajectory to win enough tournaments to get anywhere near the HOF with only one major.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

He needs to do more...a few more wins, some Ryder Cup drama in his favor, and a major would seal the deal.

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

My answer isn't available.  My opinion is a flat no.  He doesn't belong there and I don't think that he has the strength of character to change his attitude enough to ever make it there.  He still acts like an overgrown adolescent.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Originally Posted by iacas

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Note: This thread is 3991 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!