IGNORED

2013 HP Byron Nelson Championship Discussion Thread

mvmac
Note: This thread is 3967 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Expert Picks: HP Byron Nelson Championship
Expert Fantasy selections Projected champion
Rob
Bolton
Jason Day, Matt Kuchar
Marc Leishman, Jimmy Walker
Jason
Day
Day sits atop my Power Rankings, but all four guys fulfill the angles of strong recent form, success at TPC Four Seasons and/or love of tight tracks.
Mike
McAllister
Jason Day, Matt Kuchar
Louis Oosthuizen, Jordan Spieth
Jason
Day
Given his track record at this event, hard to pick anybody other than Day, who has a win and two top-10s in his three starts here. Spieth is my darkhorse pick, thanks to his knowledge of this course and the support he'll get from his hometown fans.
Chris
Dunham
Jason Day, Jason Dufner
Marc Leishman, Jeff Overton
Marc
Leishman
Even Tom Emanski would be proud of Leishman's back-to-back-to-back top-10 finishes on the PGA TOUR. That run will be extended this week, maybe with a win, in Texas. I don't normally like to load up on past champs but both Day and Dufner may just be on the brink of some big things.
Helen
Ross
Keegan Bradley, Jason Day
Marc Leishman, Ryan Palmer
Marc
Leishman
The Aussie comes to Dallas on the heels of three straight top-10s, including a tie for fourth at the Masters and a tie for eighth last week at TPC Sawgrass. If that's not enough of a confidence builder, he tied for third at last year's HP Byron Nelson Championship.
Ryan
Smithson
Jason Day, Robert Garrigus
Ryan Palmer, Jimmy Walker
Ryan
Palmer
TPC Four Seasons is big-hitter friendly. Ryan Palmer is probably going to be on everyone's fantasy team this week, and he's a no-brainer in the one-and-done department. Look for Garrigus to have a big week too.
Bill
Cooney
Ben Crane, Jason Day
Jason Dufner, Louis Oosthuizen
Jason
Dufner
Forget that Dufner carded a final-round 80 at THE PLAYERS and remember that he is the defending champion, which came after he finished T68 at THE PLAYERS last season. Was also T8 at the Nelson in 2011.
John
Schwarb
Jason Day, Marc Leishman
Louis Oosthuizen, Jimmy Walker
Jason
Day
A winner at TPC Four Seasons in 2010, Day has three top-10 finishes in as many starts here and boasts four top-10 finishes in 10 starts this season. His Sunday 68 at THE PLAYERS was one-shot off the day's best score posted by Jimmy Walker, who I'm also selecting this week.
Anne
Detlefsen
Keegan Bradley, Ben Crane
Jason Day, Jimmy Walker
Keegan
Bradley
So he missed the cut in his last two starts. He's got five top 10s this year. The 2011 HP Byron Nelson champion will get back on track this week.
Amanda
Balionis
Marc Leishman, Louis Oosthuizen
Ryan Palmer, Jimmy Walker
Louis
Oosthuizen
Oosthuizen is coming off his third top 20 in four starts, and is headed back down to the state where he carded his best finish of the PGA TOUR season so far: Texas. Look for the South African to carry his momentum from TPC Sawgrass to TPC Four Seasons for his second PGA TOUR victory.
Brian
Wacker
Ben Crane, Jason Day
Jason Dufner, Jimmy Walker
Jason
Day
Day has four top 10s this season, including a third-place finish at the Masters, and is coming off a tie for 19th at TPC Sawgrass. He's also finished in the top 10 in each of his three trips to TPC Four Seasons, which included a win in 2010.
Bryan
Mullen
Charley Hoffman, Louis Oosthuizen
Jeff Overton, Jimmy Walker
Jimmy
Walker
Walker holds the longest active cut streak (22) on the PGA TOUR and is coming off a nice T15 at THE PLAYERS, where he shot a final-round 67.
John
Swantek
Jason Day, Matt Kuchar
Ryan Palmer, Jordan Spieth
Jason
Day
The Aussie returns to the site of his only TOUR victory on a run of good form, a solo third at the Masters and a T19 at THE PLAYERS and seems poised for win No. 2.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Well its an interesting draw it seems this year. I think if I were to try and make a safe pick, Jason Day would be my favourite. However, I am going to go out on a limb and say (if and only if he plays consistent) John Daly could win this tournament. So I guess who I am interested in seeing play is Daly, Day, Yang, and Harrington.

In The Bag:

Driver: None

3 Wood: None

5 Wood: Bobby Jones by Jesse Ortiz

2 Iron: Spalding Top Flite 73

4-PW: Giga Golf C510 Pursuit

60 Degree Wedge by Titleist 

Putter: Wilson Harmonized Augusta

Ball: Slazenger Raw Distance Feel

It's the hangover from the Player's Chamoionship Week called the Byron Nelson.

Unfortunately, scheduling and the poor reputation of the course have pummeled this Tournament to just another tournament with a below average field in terms of Top 20 players.

But relief may be on the horizon.

It will be moving to a new course in Dallas in 2019. At least, that is THE news this week.

Bill Coore and Ben Crenshaw have sketched a unique links style layout that should intrigue the pros — rolling terrain, swaying native grasses, dramatic bunkering, and virtually no trees or water hazards.

The team is known for using a naturalist approach in creating epic designs. Sand Hills, created on sand dunes outside Mullen, Neb., five hours from a major airport, is ranked ninth on Golf Digest’s 2013-14 Top 100 Greatest Courses in America.

“They have built a lot of great courses, so I would definitely be interested in checking it out,” said Estes, who played at Texas as did Crenshaw and Leonard. “That’s going to get a lot of guys interested in the golf course itself, which a lot of times is what gets players to tournaments.”

Nelson officials are exploring other ways they can enhance the tournament — switching dates to the week before the U.S. Open in June, or to the fall.

Byron Nelson, Sam Snead and Ben Hogan won the first three PGA Tour events staged in Dallas. Each defended his title on a different course.

From Lakewood to Dallas Country Club to Brook Hollow to Preston Hollow, the tour stop seemed in perpetual motion with seven name changes and six locations during the first 15 years.

When it put down stakes at the Las Colinas Sports Club in 1983, the tournament had finally found a stable place to dwell.

It was here that the Byron Nelson Golf Classic would blossom into a model event on the PGA Tour. Title sponsors created one of the Tour’s largest purses, which attracted strong fields, which drew large galleries, which generated more than $110 million for the Salesmanship Club’s charity.

But 30 years after the Nelson arrived in Irving, movement is again on the horizon.

The future of the HP Byron Nelson Championship appears to lie on a former landfill 5 miles southeast of downtown Dallas. The Trinity Forest golf course project is in full swing.

The City of Dallas, AT&T;, SMU and the First Tee of Greater Dallas are hitched to a $50 million endeavor to create a Cowboys Stadium of golf. The project’s unveiling included the announcement of AT&T; becoming title sponsor in 2015.

Although the Nelson has not officially pledged its allegiance to Dallas, just know that AT&T;’s large presence in golf includes title sponsorship of three events and financial backing of the Masters.

PGA Tour commissioner Tim Finchem participated in the news conference by phone and two Tour officials were at City Hall. The tournament’s contract with Four Seasons ends after 2018.

The Trinity Forest idea was hatched on the belief that a bold championship course created by one of the world’s top design teams will lure the big-name players who have skipped the tournament since Byron Nelson died in 2006.

“I think that’s the only way, honestly, to keep the tournament going,” said Tour veteran Justin Leonard, a Dallas native playing in his 20th Nelson. “Not just to improve it, but to keep it going, because it’s a struggle with that golf course. From all I know about it, and I know quite a bit, it’s necessary.”

A $10 million renovation of the TPC by Plano-based Weibring-Wolfard Golf Design transformed the layout with a clean look. Some holes were lengthened or repositioned to fix the elements that drew the most criticism from the pros. Driver can be hit on most par-4s, and tightly mown areas around the green provide a variety of ways to play the holes.

But the redo has not resulted in a Q-rating revival. Some of that can be attributed to the date — on the heels of the popular Wells Fargo Championship and the Players Championship, the PGA Tour’s signature event.

“The golf course itself is not as highly regarded as the tournament,” said Austin’s Bob Estes, playing in his 25th consecutive Nelson. “The golf course probably keeps some players from not playing the Byron Nelson. Some guys just don’t like that golf course. But building a new golf course and taking it away from the Four Seasons isn’t necessarily going to guarantee you the best field on tour.”

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Originally Posted by Mr. Desmond

It's the hangover from the Player's Chamoionship Week called the Byron Nelson.

Unfortunately, scheduling and the poor reputation of the course have pummeled this Tournament to just another tournament with a below average field in terms of Top 20 players.

But relief may be on the horizon.

It will be moving to a new course in Dallas in 2019. At least, that is THE news this week.

Bill Coore and Ben Crenshaw have sketched a unique links style layout that should intrigue the pros — rolling terrain, swaying native grasses, dramatic bunkering, and virtually no trees or water hazards.

The team is known for using a naturalist approach in creating epic designs. Sand Hills, created on sand dunes outside Mullen, Neb., five hours from a major airport, is ranked ninth on Golf Digest’s 2013-14 Top 100 Greatest Courses in America.

“They have built a lot of great courses, so I would definitely be interested in checking it out,” said Estes, who played at Texas as did Crenshaw and Leonard. “That’s going to get a lot of guys interested in the golf course itself, which a lot of times is what gets players to tournaments.”

Nelson officials are exploring other ways they can enhance the tournament — switching dates to the week before the U.S. Open in June, or to the fall.

Byron Nelson, Sam Snead and Ben Hogan won the first three PGA Tour events staged in Dallas. Each defended his title on a different course.

From Lakewood to Dallas Country Club to Brook Hollow to Preston Hollow, the tour stop seemed in perpetual motion with seven name changes and six locations during the first 15 years.

When it put down stakes at the Las Colinas Sports Club in 1983, the tournament had finally found a stable place to dwell.

It was here that the Byron Nelson Golf Classic would blossom into a model event on the PGA Tour. Title sponsors created one of the Tour’s largest purses, which attracted strong fields, which drew large galleries, which generated more than $110 million for the Salesmanship Club’s charity.

But 30 years after the Nelson arrived in Irving, movement is again on the horizon.

The future of the HP Byron Nelson Championship appears to lie on a former landfill 5 miles southeast of downtown Dallas. The Trinity Forest golf course project is in full swing.

The City of Dallas, AT&T;, SMU and the First Tee of Greater Dallas are hitched to a $50 million endeavor to create a Cowboys Stadium of golf. The project’s unveiling included the announcement of AT&T; becoming title sponsor in 2015.

Although the Nelson has not officially pledged its allegiance to Dallas, just know that AT&T;’s large presence in golf includes title sponsorship of three events and financial backing of the Masters.

PGA Tour commissioner Tim Finchem participated in the news conference by phone and two Tour officials were at City Hall. The tournament’s contract with Four Seasons ends after 2018.

The Trinity Forest idea was hatched on the belief that a bold championship course created by one of the world’s top design teams will lure the big-name players who have skipped the tournament since Byron Nelson died in 2006.

“I think that’s the only way, honestly, to keep the tournament going,” said Tour veteran Justin Leonard, a Dallas native playing in his 20th Nelson. “Not just to improve it, but to keep it going, because it’s a struggle with that golf course. From all I know about it, and I know quite a bit, it’s necessary.”

A $10 million renovation of the TPC by Plano-based Weibring-Wolfard Golf Design transformed the layout with a clean look. Some holes were lengthened or repositioned to fix the elements that drew the most criticism from the pros. Driver can be hit on most par-4s, and tightly mown areas around the green provide a variety of ways to play the holes.

But the redo has not resulted in a Q-rating revival. Some of that can be attributed to the date — on the heels of the popular Wells Fargo Championship and the Players Championship, the PGA Tour’s signature event.

“The golf course itself is not as highly regarded as the tournament,” said Austin’s Bob Estes, playing in his 25th consecutive Nelson. “The golf course probably keeps some players from not playing the Byron Nelson. Some guys just don’t like that golf course. But building a new golf course and taking it away from the Four Seasons isn’t necessarily going to guarantee you the best field on tour.”

So this means we'll have 2 TPC venues in the Metroplex.....neither of which host a regular tour event and neither of which will even be able to sniff a major.......Nice

Originally Posted by ElWagonne

So this means we'll have 2 TPC venues in the Metroplex.....neither of which host a regular tour event and neither of which will even be able to sniff a major.......Nice

Well, there is a chance that growth will continue around TPC Craig Ranch. It has hosted web.com equivalent finals. But it needs more development out there for a major.

The TPC Las Colinas Course gets hammered annually - they tried to budget the last redo during the recession. They should have torn the sucker up and started over -  brought in Crenshaw Coors or another architect. But DA Weibring won the tight budget bid. He did what he could. It needs gutting for a Tour event.

Now it will be a resort course for the Four Seasons. Maybe we'll get discounts there so normal Joes who will pay a little more will play it.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Day, Bradley, Ryan Palmer, Jeff Overton.

:tmade: R1 Driver
:tmade: Burner 18.5 Wood
:tmade: Rocketballz 19 Rescue

:mizuno: MP-59 4-PW Irons
:cleveland: CG16 52, 56
:cleveland: Classic Mallet Putter

:bridgestone: e5 Ball

Keegan is on fire!  10 under with Tournament Record.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Saw Grant Waite showing off his players (Brian Gay and at least one other guy) on Swing Catalyst and Trackman last night on "On the Range."  Pretty cool.

Originally Posted by boogielicious

Keegan is on fire!  10 under with Tournament Record.

Soft conditions, not much wind after last night's storms.

May blow this afternoon.

I wonder if this is the first time a player has ever shot 60 in a PGA event with back to back bogies (18 & 1 as Keegan teed off on 10)?  Amazing start (-5 first 7) and finish (-7 last 8) to his round.

:mizuno: MP-52 5-PW, :cobra: King Snake 4 i 
:tmade: R11 Driver, 3 W & 5 W, :vokey: 52, 56 & 60 wedges
:seemore: putter

Looks like journeyman Tom Gillis has it going today: -7 thru 14 which is one shot better than Keegan was yesterday at the same point in the round...would need to birdie the last 4 for a front nine 29 to go along with his back nine of 30.

63 for Gillis- great round but he 3 putted his last hole from 9 feet per shot tracker- ouch!

Looks as if it won't be too breezy this afternoon. No more than 11 to 12 mph

I'd have to say Jason Day surprised a lot of people today.

OTOH, John Daly in at -3 - only the third cut he's made this year.

Mac

WITB:
Driver: Ping G30 (12*)
FW:  Ping K15 (3W, 5W)
Hybrids: Ping K15 (3H, 5H)
Irons: Ping K15 (6-UW)

Wedges: Cleveland 588 RTX CB (54*, 58*)

Putter: Ping Scottsdale w/ SS Slim 3.0

Ball: Bridgestone e6

Jeez, is Keegan fidgity enough? Maybe I've never really watched this guy before, but he's kind of annoying to watch.

Note: This thread is 3967 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!