IGNORED

What's your most inconsistent club?

tuffluck
Note: This thread is 3983 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. What's your most inconsistent club?

• Driver
    • 3-9 Wood
    • Hybrid(s)
    • 3-5 Iron
    • 6-9 Iron
    • Wedges
    • Putter

I've really struggled hitting a driver consistently, and I don't see how that can't be true for all golfers so I wanted to ask and find out.  It's the longest club for anyone (should be), which means the margin of error is greater the more distance it can go.  So it seems natural it's an inconsistent club for an average golfer.

The inconsistency wasn't there when I first bought my driver, really at all.  Then I started hooking it, so I practiced swinging out, which solved the hook.  Then I was hitting it great for a while again.  Then I started slicing, which I never have done before.  So now I'm working on that.

Thinking back on it, I remember changing to the Adams suggested weight in the driver head, and I think that's when my slicing troubles began.  I am going to put the heavier stock weight back in and see what that does.  Does that make logical sense though--heavier weight decreasing slice?

Curious about the answer to that question and the Poll.  And hey, did you guys notice I used capitalization? Don't get used to it.

Five iron. Four I hit fine, six I hit fine, five is perennially squirrelly. A while ago, in frustration, I even had a five hybrid made up. And I hit that badly, too.

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Driver. I had it consistent once for about a month. It comes and goes and consistently baffles me. I'm finally breaking down and replacing it this summer.

Driver for me as well. Even the littlest changes in my drive swing will make me hit the ball differently every time.

Driver: :cobra: BiO Cell (10.5º)

Wood: :ping: G15 3 (15.5°)

Hybrids: :callaway: Diablo Edge: 3 (21º), 4 (24º)

Irons: :callaway: Diablo Edge: 5-PW

Wedges: :cleveland:588 RTX CB 50º, Paradise Black Chrome II Sand Wedge 56º

Long hybrids, since I don't carry FW woods. Driver has been good for a long while, which amazes me.

Driver:     TaylorMade Jetspeed, stiff

Fws:        Taylormade RBZ 5 wood

Hybrids:   TaylorMade RBZ Stage 2 rescue 3H

Irons:      Callaway X2 Hot Pro

Wedges:  Cleveland CG16 54*/14

Ping Glide WS 58*

Putter:     TaylorMade Daddy Long Legs

Definitely the driver, some days I can pipe it but most of the time it's a disaster. :-\

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

to bad we can't choose more options. hehe

Driver most inconsistent for me, i'm hooking it massive lately

Dirver: Mizuno JPX 825 9,5 Fujikura Orochi Red Eye Stiff 65 g.
3 wood: Mizuno JPX 825 14 Fujikura Orochi Red Eye Stiff 75 g.
Hybrid: Mizuno JPX 825 18 Fujikura Orochi Red Eye Stiff 85 g. 
Irons: Mizuno MP 59 3 / PW KBS Tour stiff shaft ( Golf Pride Niion )
Wedges: Taylormade ATV Wedges 52 and 58 ( Golf Pride Niion )
putter: Taylormade ghost series 770 35 inch ( Super Stroke slim 3.0 )
Balls: Taylormade TP 5

For me, it's my wedges because many times I end up "topping" them or get under them too much and the ball will go sky high, but not far at all.  When I do get the perfect hit with them, the ball will end up exactly where I want, but that doesn't happen too often.

When you play to a 12, all of them. I would estimate that half the time I don't make par it's due to one squirrelly shot on that particular hole. Errant drive, thin approach, chunked wedge etc. Rare to hit two in a row. That's the frustration of it. At the end of each round I can look back at the card and pinpoint exactly where the lost shots were. It's always just 3-5 shots a side that are just toally blown. Once in a while a missed kick in bites me so even the putter figures into it.

Dave :-)

Oddly enough, driver is my most consistent club, followed by wedges, then short and mid irons.  I still struggle at times with the hybrids, but struggle the MOST with the fairway wood.  To the point I sometimes swap it out with a 2 hybrid.  My biggest problem is that I can hit it great on the range, but on the course I either hit behind the ball or top it.  And I 'think" I can attribute that to trying too hard on the course.

On the range I'm just trying to hit it clean and generally at my target.  But on the course I think it gets into my head that I have to hit it to a number, or as far as I can, and I go at it too hard.

Aside from the fairway club, my putter isn't behaving too well lately.  My last round, first tee.... I hit a beautiful drive that rolled out to 274 via the GPS.  Hit a wedge to the back of the green, then proceeded to 4 PUTT!!! First putt (long, probably 50 feet), barely made it half way there.  Second putt still short by about 2 feet.  Third snuck by on the left, then finally made the fourth.  THAT is mega frustrating.  But my next round, I will probably be 1 and 2 putting everything.  That's just how my putting has gone this year so far.  I can't wait until we are all settled in to the new house so I can get with my instructor and learn how to use that club properly!

Driver. No doubt. On good days, it's great. On bad days, though, it's miserable. There's a reason Nicklaus said it's the most important club in your bag. My problem is that I'll develop either a pull or power fade and then try to correct it. Then, I'll end up over-correcting and catastrophes ensue.

PW, because it seems disproportionately shorter than my other clubs.

9.5º TaylorMade R9 TP VooDoo XNV6 | TaylorMade R9 TP 13º 3W & 19º 5W Both with Fujikura Motore F1 85 | Mizuno MP-57 DG X-100 (3-PW) | Titleist Vokey 52º, 56º, 60º | 34'' Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 | The Cardinal Club [73.9/135]

I am saying wedges but its not the full wedges. Its the 3/4 and 1/2 wedges. Very hard to repeat a less than full swing. Even if I have a good day with the length of the swing I might be inconsistent with the contact and have some that go nice and high while others are lower.

I think the expected precision is also a factor. The longer the club the less precise you expect it to be but when you are 70 yards from the flag you expect it to be pretty precise. Hitting a wedge 78 instead of 70 feels worse than hitting a 5 iron 178 instead of 170.

Wedges, from 110 in I struggle most of the time usually never getting the right distance.  I sometimes tend to avoid that distance by hitting less off the tee or less as a 2nd shot into a Par 5.

Titleist 913D2 9.5 (UST VTS 65)

Titleist 913F 15 (Diamana S+)

Titleist 913H 19 (Diamana S+)

Titleist 714 AP2 (4-PW) (DG XP-95)

Titleist Vokey SM5 (52,56,58) (DG XP-95)

Ping Anser 2 Classic

The long clubs don't matter so much..........when it comes down to it, it's the chipping and putting.  Right now I wish I was putting to my full potential.  I recently joined a new golf club, and I can't put those greens for SHEET........ If I can hole putts, I am dangerous...............

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

Long clubs aren't as relevant.....so consider yourself lucky.............

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

Note: This thread is 3983 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!