IGNORED

Playing multiple balls and posting to handicap?

jshots
Note: This thread is 3987 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

Nevermind.

Amazing you hung in there this long.  I could not have done it.

• Upvote 1

Nate

:pxg:(10.5) :benhogan:(4W):titleist:U500(3UI) :benhogan: Icon(4-PW) :edel:(52/58)

:odyssey:Putter :snell: MTB Black  

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I guess I'm not sure why it matters. The only time your handicap matters to me is when we are playing against each other. At that point, if you've bent a couple rules during a social round and ended with a 5 hdcp, but are probably truly closer to a 7...that is fine with me. When we play in a competitive setting, I'm going to count it as a stroke if you ground your club in the hazard or accidentally bump your ball while on the green.

In that light I would consider any round where you get feedback on 40+ more swings than you normally would, a practice round. But again, if you're short on time and want to play 2 balls, sounds fun! But dont expect to play against me in a match and play 2 balls against my 1. At that point, we're not playing the same game anymore.

Originally Posted by Ernest Jones

I believe you mean "never mind".

Nope he's suggesting Fourputt should listen to the Nirvana classic.

Dave :-)

Originally Posted by Ernest Jones

I believe you mean "never mind".

ThatiswhereyouarewrongErnestandIthankyoutotryandnotdecipherformewhatI'mtryingtosay!

P.S.  I now own a Pipoe and you don't!  (I'd take a picture to make you really jealous, 'cept that thing is way out in the car, and I'm in here, and I don't feel like walking 30 feet)

ThatiswhereyouarewrongErnestandIthankyoutotryandnotdecipherformewhatI'mtryingtosay!

P.S.  I now own a Pipoe and you don't!  (I'd take a picture to make you really jealous, 'cept that thing is way out in the car, and I'm in here, and I don't feel like walking 30 feet)

Ha ha, you said cipher.

Nate

:pxg:(10.5) :benhogan:(4W):titleist:U500(3UI) :benhogan: Icon(4-PW) :edel:(52/58)

:odyssey:Putter :snell: MTB Black  

ThatiswhereyouarewrongErnestandIthankyoutotryandnotdecipherformewhatI'mtryingtosay! P.S.  I now own a Pipoe and you don't!  (I'd take a picture to make you really jealous, 'cept that thing is way out in the car, and I'm in here, and I don't feel like walking 30 feet) :beer:

Actuallyiamtotallyjealous. Iwouldbenefitfromthepipoeorperhapssomekindofelbowsurgery. Onasidenoteicantotallyseetheattractionofskippingallpuntuationitissomuchfaster. Hardertoreadbutwhogivesashitabouttheguyreadingit? :-p

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

I really don't see it as a big deal at all.  When I am playing slow courses and there is a back up on a tee box, I'll usually chip around from tee marker to tee marker to kill the time.  Who cares?

Now, if you always took the lowest of the scores, then you'd be a vanity capper, and if you took the highest, a sandbagger  but if you are always recording the first score, so what?  Seems OK to me.

How?

I agree and I do this when waiting for others - it beats just standing around. I don't play in a league or for wagers nor do I worry about my handicap (I don't think the course I play even has a rating or slope). So maybe under those circumstances, I would be a bit more anal about the rules. I abide by them to the best of my knowledge. If I hit into a bad lie, I don't reposition the ball for example. But if I'm playing with someone who accidentally bumps the ball off the tee, I don't want them to take a stroke for that. There's a difference in my opinion. Is that the wrong way to play? I understand, it's a slippery slope once you start bending the rules, but...

Not trying to be argumentative. I really am ignorant about how others approach the rules when playing a friendly round of golf.

Jon

There is a way around it to make it (somewhat) legal. Just declare you're hitting a provisional before hitting a second ball.

Originally Posted by JonMA1

Quote:

I really don't see it as a big deal at all.  When I am playing slow courses and there is a back up on a tee box, I'll usually chip around from tee marker to tee marker to kill the time.  Who cares?

Now, if you always took the lowest of the scores, then you'd be a vanity capper, and if you took the highest, a sandbagger  but if you are always recording the first score, so what?  Seems OK to me.

How?

I agree and I do this when waiting for others - it beats just standing around. I don't play in a league or for wagers nor do I worry about my handicap (I don't think the course I play even has a rating or slope). So maybe under those circumstances, I would be a bit more anal about the rules. I abide by them to the best of my knowledge. If I hit into a bad lie, I don't reposition the ball for example. But if I'm playing with someone who accidentally bumps the ball off the tee, I don't want them to take a stroke for that. There's a difference in my opinion. Is that the wrong way to play? I understand, it's a slippery slope once you start bending the rules, but...

Not trying to be argumentative. I really am ignorant about how others approach the rules when playing a friendly round of golf.

There is no penalty for chipping on the tee box unless it's a tournament which has specifically disallowed such practice.

There is also no penalty for bumping a ball off the tee, because the ball is not in play until the player has made a stroke at it.  If you were to swing and miss, then bump the ball off the tee before your second swing, now the ball is in play and you have incurred a penalty and the ball must be replaced.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

There is a way around it to make it (somewhat) legal. Just declare you're hitting a provisional before hitting a second ball.

27-2a/3 Play of Provisional Ball in Absence of Reasonable Possibility Original Ball Is Lost or Out of Bounds Q.In the absence of reasonable possibility that a ball is lost outside a water hazard or is out of bounds, may the player play a provisional ball? A.No. If a player plays a ball under such circumstances, the ball is not a provisional ball but the ball in play - see Decision 27-2a/2.

You only hit a provisional if you think the ball is lost or OB.  This, of course, can happen when you are by yourself as you do not have other eyes to follow your ball flight.  I had to hit two a couple of weeks back when I was playing alone.  I found both first balls, luckily, and a really big garter snake!  I did not play the garter snake.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Originally Posted by Fourputt

I don't have any issue with others playing that way, only with them coming on the rules forum and trying to find sympathy and justification for it.  I have plenty of friends who play golf their own way and we can play together and have a great time.  I don't go Nazi on them - I'm not an idiot.  We just don't compete.  We play to have fun in the way that works for each of us.  They just realize that the scores they shoot and the ones I shoot don't have any relationship to each other.

I'm new to the forum, but maybe that's why I don't have a problem being a little brazen with the statement, and Golfingdad has given up, so I just have one comment, since I've been reading this whole debate.

I think the bold comment is where you start to have that "holier than you attitude" that was referred to and sound like a jerk. Do you even congratulate your friends for playing a good round or do you tell them "that's a good round for 'your way' of playing golf" which is an entirely different game than what I'm playing? Do you go home and count their penalty strokes to prove that your round would've still been better? I'm all for the rules of the game, and absolutely can appreciate you playing that way, but it doesn't mean you should be disrespectful to a guy who picks up his ball on a "gimme" one-foot putt or drops one when he can't find his original and didn't hit a provisional.

To be fair, I'm sure you wouldn't say that to your friend, but that's how you come off in this post.

Now hopefully I'll avoid getting bogged down in a lengthy discussion as was already beaten up.

Originally Posted by dataris17

Quote:

I don't have any issue with others playing that way, only with them coming on the rules forum and trying to find sympathy and justification for it.  I have plenty of friends who play golf their own way and we can play together and have a great time.  I don't go Nazi on them - I'm not an idiot.  We just don't compete.  We play to have fun in the way that works for each of us.  They just realize that the scores they shoot and the ones I shoot don't have any relationship to each other.

I'm new to the forum, but maybe that's why I don't have a problem being a little brazen with the statement, and Golfingdad has given up, so I just have one comment, since I've been reading this whole debate.

I think the bold comment is where you start to have that "holier than you attitude" that was referred to and sound like a jerk. Do you even congratulate your friends for playing a good round or do you tell them "that's a good round for 'your way' of playing golf" which is an entirely different game than what I'm playing? Do you go home and count their penalty strokes to prove that your round would've still been better? I'm all for the rules of the game, and absolutely can appreciate you playing that way, but it doesn't mean you should be disrespectful to a guy who picks up his ball on a "gimme" one-foot putt or drops one when he can't find his original and didn't hit a provisional.

To be fair, I'm sure you wouldn't say that to your friend, but that's how you come off in this post.

Now hopefully I'll avoid getting bogged down in a lengthy discussion as was already beaten up.

Come on.  You don't know me, nor do you know them - actually one in particular.  He's actually a pretty good golfer, but he has a tendency to ignore certain penalty situations.  He's 72, so he's allowed.  He still shoots legitimately in the low 80's most of the time (I don't know how he does it with the worst reverse pivot I ever saw), even with the occasional penalty mentally added in (sorry if that bothers you, but i can't help noticing those things, even if I keep quiet about it).  We just don't usually discuss score much after the round.  I add up what he told me he made and don't worry about it.  I never play for money with him, and for the occasional informal competitions we are in, he plays by the rules.  We always enjoy playing together and don't care that we each take a different approach to a "casual" round.

Rick

I'm new to the forum, but maybe that's why I don't have a problem being a little brazen with the statement, and Golfingdad has given up, so I just have one comment, since I've been reading this whole debate. I think the bold comment is where you start to have that "holier than you attitude" that was referred to and sound like a jerk. Do you even congratulate your friends for playing a good round or do you tell them "that's a good round for 'your way' of playing golf" which is an entirely different game than what I'm playing? Do you go home and count their penalty strokes to prove that your round would've still been better? I'm all for the rules of the game, and absolutely can appreciate you playing that way, but it doesn't mean you should be disrespectful to a guy who picks up his ball on a "gimme" one-foot putt or drops one when he can't find his original and didn't hit a provisional. To be fair, I'm sure you wouldn't say that to your friend, but that's how you come off in this post. Now hopefully I'll avoid getting bogged down in a lengthy discussion as was already beaten up.

The OP in the very title of this thread questions posting to handicap a round in which the rules of golf are clearly broken. In a rules sub-forum the answer provided by Fourputt is correct. He's not disrespecting anyone with his answer, he's simply answering the question posed in accordance to the Rules of Golf. Fourputt clearly says that he plays with people who don't follow all the rules all the time and can enjoy doing so. BUT, he also reminds us that even when the rules are broken, there is a correct way to post your score. That's not being "holier than thou", it's providing an accurate and valuable response to the OP's question.

• Upvote 1

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Like I said, I suspected you didn't actually say things like that to your friends, and I'm glad that I was right, just an outsider saying how your post came off to me. I can appreciate the level to which you follow every rule because I've had to play that way in matches and tournaments, works for me.

Originally Posted by David in FL

The OP in the very title of this thread questions posting to handicap a round in which the rules of golf are clearly broken. In a rules sub-forum the answer provided by Fourputt is correct. He's not disrespecting anyone with his answer, he's simply answering the question posed in accordance to the Rules of Golf. Fourputt clearly says that he plays with people who don't follow all the rules all the time and can enjoy doing so. BUT, he also reminds us that even when the rules are broken, there is a correct way to post your score. That's not being "holier than thou", it's providing an accurate and valuable response to the OP's question.

I understand, I read the thread, just responding to a piece of it. As is the case frequently, the discussion doesn't always remain strictly within the confines of the original point.

There is also no penalty for bumping a ball off the tee, because the ball is not in play until the player has made a stroke at it.  If you were to swing and miss, then bump the ball off the tee before your second swing, now the ball is in play and you have incurred a penalty and the ball must be replaced.

Thanks Fourputt. Clearly, I need to become a bit more knowledgable in the event that I someday play a serious round of golf against someone. For the level of golf I presently play, I'm ok with a drop where there should have been a provisional in order to speed things up. For example, there have been times where I didn't anticipate losing a ball off a tee shot. I know what I'm supposed to do, but if I drop another ball and give myself a penalty, I'm not gaining any strokes even though I'm breaking a rule (as I understand them). I can live with myself for something like that or for chipping while waiting for others.

I'll follow up one ignorant statement with an equally ignorant question concerning handicap. In another thread, there were many members who posted that if they are having a bad round, they might be inclined to stop keeping score and consider it a practice round. So for those who keep track of their handicap, is it for tournament play, leagues, etc. or is it supposed to be for every round?

Jon

Originally Posted by JonMA1

Quote:

Thanks Fourputt. Clearly, I need to become a bit more knowledgable in the event that I someday play a serious round of golf against someone. For the level of golf I presently play, I'm ok with a drop where there should have been a provisional in order to speed things up. For example, there have been times where I didn't anticipate losing a ball off a tee shot. I know what I'm supposed to do, but if I drop another ball and give myself a penalty, I'm not gaining any strokes even though I'm breaking a rule (as I understand them). I can live with myself for something like that or for chipping while waiting for others.

I'll follow up one ignorant statement with an equally ignorant question concerning handicap. In another thread, there were many members who posted that if they are having a bad round, they might be inclined to stop keeping score and consider it a practice round. So for those who keep track of their handicap, is it for tournament play, leagues, etc. or is it supposed to be for every round?

The handicap manual says every round.  If you quit and call it practice when a round goes south, what do you do when the same thing happens in a competition?   What happens is you lose because you haven't given yourself a chance to win at the actual level at which you are capable of playing.  That's called a vanity handicap, and you will be loved by players who you compete against in an individual competition, but you will be hated as a partner in any sort of team tournament, because you will have a handicap which you can't live up to.

Rick

Note: This thread is 3987 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!