IGNORED

Pre-Shot Routines

Spyder
Note: This thread is 3952 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. How long is your typical pre-shot routine?

• 1-10 seconds
    • 11-20 seconds
    • >20 seconds (Kevin NA)

It really is fascinating to sit back and watch other golfers play this game and pick up on details of their characteristics and habits.

I never honestly sat back and considered what I was
really doing in my pre-shot routine from the tee. My playing partner was cracking on me for this 'deep breath/shoulder shrug' thing that I do behind the ball with my driver lined up behind the ball. Then, I walk to hitting position and slowly slide my driver out to the ball. From there, I take one look down the line and fire away. This is the same routine that I carry throughout my entire game. I would classify my routine as more of a Keegan type of style where I see it, believe it, and go with no hesitation. The same applies to my fairway and iron shots, chipping, pitching and putting. I have been told a few times that I should slow down my routine a little, but I'm a more high energy golfer and person in general and I am comfortable being fast paced.

My question to all of you is in regards to your pre-shot routines. What does your routine consist of? Do you have different pre-shot routines for your driver and irons? Do you take longer with one routine than the other? Are you a Camilo Villegas  on the green? Do you emulate Kevin NA on the fairway? Are you a hip-shooter like Keegan Bradley?

Go ahead and select an option in the Poll as a generalized value which best matches your pre-shot routine's length in terms of seconds and then describe your routine in a reply to this thread. Be sure to include as many details as possible for each step in your pre-shot routine.

One practice swing that is perpendicular to my target line and then align correctly and let 'er rip. :)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Most of the time, pull the club out of the bag and pull the trigger--no practice swing.

Once in a while, I'll have one practice swing.

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

While I may take a quick practice swing or two before I hit, I don't consider it to be part of my preshot routine and will usually do it while waiting for others to hit. I stand behind the ball and focus on my target. I then step up to the ball and align my clubhead and body to the shot. I do one waggle. During the waggle, I do one last look at the target. Also, the waggle syncs with my tempo (I.e. tour tempo 24/8). Then I pull the trigger.

Stand behind the ball to line up my spot.  Keeping my eye on that spot, I take my address and make the stroke.  No practice swing except on chips and pitches.  Typically 10 seconds on full shots, 15-20 on chips, and that is time from start til the ball is on the way.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

I usually only take one practice swing to stay loose.  I can sometimes do that while others are getting their club.  Then I pick my line, line up, waggle and shoot.  I have worked on speeding up a lot in the last year.  On putts, I don't even take a practice stroke.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

I think a timer is in order for this one.  I think /emoticons/wacko.png">

as well as when do you define the routine to have started?

(after the other guy hits)?

(golf cart comes to a stop - or set the bag down)?

(pull the club out)?

(before club selection)?

(before or after lasering the distance or finding the sprinkler head?)

(first time standing behind the ball and looking down the line?)

(first - most of this stuff I can and will do as the others are hitting - in my crowd, we actually don't wait on each other unless it's a safety thing, or we're all very close to the green and could be a distraction - ready golf on steroids.......)

I'll laser it as I'm walking or riding up (zero seconds).  Or when I park the cart, if riding. (10 seconds?)

- Choosing the club involves looking at the distance, picking a line, assessing elevation of the target and the wind - 6 - 10 seconds is FAST

- Stand next to the ball and take a couple pendulums - 5 seconds is freaky fast - 10 is fast to reasonable

- Step back and check the line - 3 seconds?

- walk up, set up, look once more, take a moment, fire - 10 seconds is reasonable, calm and not wasted.

- watch the flight and mentally marked the location - 10 seconds

(my normal routine and I've never been rushed by anybody and will finish in 3 - 3-1/2 hours easily with like minded players - I find I'm waiting on others nearly 90% of the time, rarely does anyone wait on me.  I keep my glove on too - although putting the glove on is usually contained in assessing the shot to hit.  Oh....and I don't mind a 4-5 hour round, it doesn't bother me one bit, but under 4 is just a natural pace for me and my friends.  I'm out to enjoy the day and a longer day isn't a heart attack - nor should it be)

I just pantomimed that sequence in my office, rushing it a lot , I know it's slower and the stopwatch noted 45 seconds from the time I stepped out of the cart and turned away from watching my ball flight.

If we are just talking the red bit - then I think the poll is reasonable

i suggest, that for a poll that max considers 20 seconds + (I challenge anyone to realistically do it in 20 seconds or less on average over the course of all their shots, not just the perfect ones that take no thought) - to take a stopwatch and time the pro player that they think is the fastest and most efficient player in the league.

IMHO - Pre shot routines are not the problem - unless you have hacky McPractice Swing taking 30 practices (I've seen it!!)

The issue is bad lies, searching for balls too long, not playing ready golf, double checking things too many times.  And, frankly, people that can't socialize and play simultaneously - talking and not moving - scoring on the green and not moving to the next hole.

and, sometimes, just new players learning - and I won't begrudge that

• Upvote 1

Bill - 

Originally Posted by rehmwa

I think a timer is in order for this one.  I think <10 seconds doesn't sound right for someone that's taking his backswing as he's walking up to his ball.....lots of people picking this one....

(pull the club out)?

(before club selection)?

(first - most of this stuff I can and will do as the others are hitting - in my crowd, we actually don't wait on each other unless it's a safety thing, or we're all very close to the green and could be a distraction - ready golf on steroids.......)

I'll laser it as I'm walking or riding up (zero seconds).  Or when I park the cart, if riding. (10 seconds?)

- Choosing the club involves looking at the distance, picking a line, assessing elevation of the target and the wind - 6 - 10 seconds is FAST

- Stand next to the ball and take a couple pendulums - 5 seconds is freaky fast - 10 is fast to reasonable

- walk up, set up, look once more, take a moment, fire - 10 seconds is reasonable, calm and not wasted.

(my normal routine and I've never been rushed by anybody and will finish in 3 - 3-1/2 hours easily with like minded players - I find I'm waiting on others nearly 90% of the time, rarely does anyone wait on me.  I keep my glove on too - although putting the glove on is usually contained in assessing the shot to hit.  Oh....and I don't mind a 4-5 hour round, it doesn't bother me one bit, but under 4 is just a natural pace for me and my friends.  I'm out to enjoy the day and a longer day isn't a heart attack - nor should it be)

I just pantomimed that sequence in my office, rushing it a lot, I know it's slower and the stopwatch noted 45 seconds from the time I stepped out of the cart and turned away from watching my ball flight.

i suggest, that for a poll that max considers 20 seconds + (I challenge anyone to realistically do it in 20 seconds or less on average over the course of all their shots, not just the perfect ones that take no thought) - to take a stopwatch and time the pro player that they think is the fastest and most efficient player in the league.

IMHO - Pre shot routines are not the problem - unless you have hacky McPractice Swing taking 30 practices (I've seen it!!)

The issue is bad lies, searching for balls too long, not playing ready golf, double checking things too many times.  And, frankly, people that can't socialize and play simultaneously - talking and not moving - scoring on the green and not moving to the next hole.

I would personally classify your pre-shot routine as when you are free to hit the ball. Assuming you are playing ready golf and you have identified and are at your ball, you are now "clear" to proceed with your shot. This doesn't include anything after your club making contact with the ball (this would be post-shot), or anything regarding driving/walking to your ball.

<10 seconds is reasonable, but I definitely thought 11-20 would be the front runner. If you have an iPhone, just start a timer and think about what your shot consists of. I'm asking for your typical, average, pre-shot routine - not weighing risk/reward behind obstacles.

I think a timer is in order for this one.  I think

(pull the club out)?

(before club selection)?

I just pantomimed that sequence in my office, rushing it a lot, I know it's slower and the stopwatch noted 45 seconds from the time I stepped out of the cart and turned away from watching my ball flight.

You count more than what I call a "preshot" routine.  Most of what you count I will do before it's my turn.  Even if I'm first to hit,  I have my GPS in hand as I approach the ball.  I can estimate the type of shot I need to play as soon as I can see the ball.  I know what the wind is doing.  After all if it's so light that I can't tell just from how it feels on my face, then I don't have to worry about it anyway.  I can easily estimate a one club or 2 club wind.  I can see the hill in front if me, and I know from experience approximately what is a one club or two club elevation change. All that is not calculated, it's just felt as I get close to the ball, so it isn't part of my routine.  I've never been good enough to bother with actually trying to perform the trig problem for a precise calculation.

The only thing which might extend my routine is if I'm first to hit, then it takes me 3 seconds to pull a club out of the bag.  If I'm not first, then I pull the club before I start my routine.  In fact, if I'm not near the guy who is taking his turn, I'll even start picking my line and stepping up to the ball before he swings.  I know that it sometimes surprises strangers when I play as a single that they finish their swing and turn to give me the go ahead, then see that  I'm already in my backswing.  I just don't like dawdling when it's time to play my ball.

• Upvote 1

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

I stand behind the ball, take a few deep breaths and really focus on what I'm trying to do. Pick my spot to line up to, step in, get settled over the ball, swing.

If I'm waiting on others, I'll make a few routine practice swings while they are playing.

Because I don't have a range finder, finding a sprinkler head is often the part that seemingly takes the longest. And I'm not someone to walk off my yardage, I don't claim to be nearly that precise with my shots. I just need a relative figure.

For my driver, I usually take some practice swings at the first tee box and dial in what i'm going with for the day, then I line it up and hit it.  Usually I don't take many if any practice swings on the tee for the rest of the day unless the drives are really off.  I don't want to screw up a good thing.

My irons are a lot different, I take forever.  I usually walk up to the ball and practice my swings to get the speed right, then I step back to line up the shot, then address the ball and step back for a final practice swing before I (finally) hit the ball.  I'm lacking some confidence with my ball striking ability so I usually spend forever trying to think out how I'm going to swing.  I believe it's causing way more harm than good, and I am in the process of shortening that up.

Wedges are right now, way too many practice swings and weak results.  Working on it.

When I putt I line up, do as many practice strokes as it takes to target in on my speed, then step up to the ball and go.  I'm comfortable there.

Some days breathing is a big factor as to when I swing (on the inhale/exhale), but it depends on the day.  I think that may be part of me over-thinking shots.

Originally Posted by Spyder

I would personally classify your pre-shot routine as when you are free to hit the ball.

Originally Posted by Fourputt

You count more than what I call a "preshot" routine.  Most of what you count I will do before it's my turn.

OK - that's why I asked if people meant the 'red' part of my line.  Then I am pretty happy with 15-20 seconds being the front runner.  But then I don't really see the point of the poll, unless it's just to hack on those that don't play ready golf, or Mr. McPracticeswing

still skeptical of those that quote

And you can't just "mentally" rehearse it and time it.  People have to pantomime and go through the physical actions.  Thinking is WAY faster - seriously - like 1/2 to a 1/3 of reality.  (I teach skydiving, I 'know' what it takes to figure out how long something takes to rehearse vs what people 'think' it takes)

even so, if you take a typical Par 4 and a bogey golfer playing alone:  5 shots

let's say 1 minute to drive to your shot, or 2 minutes to if walking - there's 4 minutes (1st walking to your drive, and then 2nd up to somewhere near the hole for the 2nd shot)

minimal time to travel to the rest of the shots around the green (pitches and putts) - 1 minute total

let's say count EVERYTHING for each hit - 1.5 minutes per shot - 7.5 minutes for 5 shots (including the two putts and the little chip we screwed up when the 2nd missed the green.

no pissing around

that's a typ Par 4, 5 shots to bogey - (4 + 1 + 7.5) 12.5 minutes + 1 minute to the next tee box - 13.5 minutes per hole

x18 holes -

there's 4 hours - with extremely conservative assumptions - this is a relaxing round, taking a bit more time than is really needed.  no major issues

it's reasonable round and nothing to complain about - I also don't tailgate other drivers if traffic overall is slow.

(short of it is for me - I keep up with the group in front of me, and I play so that I'm not 'harassing' them either.  If the group behind is pushing, I go straight over and calmly tell them about the group in front of me so they don't 'harass' me either.  So if the play is slow, I pace myself so I don't get fidgety.  If the play is fast, I'm happy because that is my comfort zone.  But I do what I can to go with the flow and try to "make" that my 'comfort zone' for that round.)

Bill - 

OK - that's why I asked if people meant the 'red' part of my line.  Then I am pretty happy with 15-20 seconds being the front runner.  But then I don't really see the point of the poll, unless it's just to hack on those that don't play ready golf, or Mr. McPracticeswing

still skeptical of those that quote <10

And you can't just "mentally" rehearse it and time it.  People have to pantomime and go through the physical actions.  Thinking is WAY faster - seriously - like 1/2 to a 1/3 of reality.  (I teach skydiving, I 'know' what it takes to figure out how long something takes to rehearse vs what people 'think' it takes)

let's say 1 minute to drive to your shot, or 2 minutes to if walking - there's 4 minutes (1st walking to your drive, and then 2nd up to somewhere near the hole for the 2nd shot)

minimal time to travel to the rest of the shots around the green (pitches and putts) - 1 minute total

let's say count EVERYTHING for each hit - 1.5 minutes per shot - 7.5 minutes for 5 shots (including the two putts and the little chip we screwed up when the 2nd missed the green.

no pissing around

that's a typ Par 4, 5 shots to bogey - (4 + 1 + 7.5) 12.5 minutes + 1 minute to the next tee box - 13.5 minutes per hole

x18 holes -

there's 4 hours - with extremely conservative assumptions - this is a relaxing round, taking a bit more time than is really needed.  no major issues

it's reasonable round and nothing to complain about - I also don't tailgate other drivers if traffic overall is slow.

(short of it is for me - I keep up with the group in front of me, and I play so that I'm not 'harassing' them either.  If the group behind is pushing, I go straight over and calmly tell them about the group in front of me so they don't 'harass' me either.  So if the play is slow, I pace myself so I don't get fidgety.  If the play is fast, I'm happy because that is my comfort zone.  But I do what I can to go with the flow and try to "make" that my 'comfort zone' for that round.)

I'm not sure why you're reading so much more into this poll and why you're not understanding the question. Half of what I quoted here is irrelevant to your pre-shot routine . Your pre-shot routine can start in the cart, but your official "pre-shot routine" begins when you have your club in hand and you are about to hit the ball.

I have no idea what skydiving, keeping up with the group in front of you, total time per hole/round, or vehicle traffic has to do with any of this. I also would like to point out that this isn't a "trap" to bust on people who don't play ready golf. This has nothing to do with ready golf, but everything to do with pre-shot routines and what people have a tendency to do, or not do. This has to do with characteristics and habits that a player has when they approach their shot.

Literally everything that I highlighted in bold has nothing to do with this poll or topic. You're focusing on time in terms of how long it takes to play a round of golf which is irrelevant.

I don't really have a pre-shot routine.  In fact, I've noticed that I rarely even take a practice swing before my full swing anymore.  That includes any feels or half-speed motions.  I may perform a slight 10-15% takeaway, but that's about it.  Once I'm aligned and address the ball, I basically just try and relax for 1-2 seconds and then swing.  If I take any practice motions/swings it's usually away from the ball or while somebody else is swinging (if I'm far enough away).

I do think the no practice swing thing has been hurting me slightly lately.  I've been trying to reduce my backswing/turn length lately, and sometimes I need to feel that before I try my full swing.

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

lighten up, Spydee - it's all just conversation and I think the post was an interesting thread, thanks for that, and wanted to understand what the results meant.  Sorry if you felt put upon, for me these are legit questions and clarifications.

I respect that your mileage may vary - but expect you to respect mine in return.

I'll explain though -

- I don't believe the <10 seconds crowd results.  So I was showing that a typical round just doesn't align with that assumption.

- I don't believe the <10 seconds crowd results.  But do recognize that people mentally rehearse things Dramatically faster than reality, so that would apply

the rest is a bit of tangential as you notice - but I don't think anything will catch on fire or the world will end because of it.

Bill - 

still skeptical of those that quote <10

no pissing around

x18 holes -

a single bogey golfer should not take 4 hours to finish 18.  But not really sure what that had to do with this thread

In my bag

Driver - c3 bullet 10.5 degree
Woods- c3 bullet 5 wood
Hybrids- 3dx 3 and 4Irons- 3dx 5-pwWedges- Purespin golf tour series gw,sw,lwPutter- antiguaBall - :taylormade: Burner TP

Note: This thread is 3952 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!