IGNORED

Sergio Garcia states racial remark towards Tiger Woods

tmac20
Note: This thread is 3887 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Has Sergio Garcia officially taken this too far?

• Yes. He shouldn't have said that.
    • No. That remark wasn't racist.

Monty's right in that it's a mountain out of a molehill. This will soon pass.

NOW...

Far as Monty saying they should be told what to say, how about this: STICK TO GOLF. If you got a mic in front of your face, talk about golf. A professional golfer is a guy who plays the game at a high level. Outside of that skill, they're most likely not adept at other things...like being politically correct, or not saying potentially inflammatory things. They're not diplomats necessarily graced with eloquence - they hit a golf ball very well. Period.

As well, humor is a very dicey thing anyway. Some can pull it off, even stuff that's near the line of racial or insensitivity...but those are usually professional humorists, who, going with my logic thread here, probably suck at golf. You wouldn't ask such people how to hit a knockdown shot.

Case in point. Here's a George Carlin clip where he uses the n-word. In fact he uses a lot of 'inflammatory' language. But after watching, would you consider Carlin a racist? No. He was brilliant at making his point. He was a "professional" humorist who could pull it off -

So no, Monty. Nobody is going to 'tell' you what is correct to say & what isn't. That discretion is granted to you when there's a mic in front of your mouth. Use it wisely & stick to what you know. That would be my advice.

• Upvote 1

Originally Posted by zipazoid

Monty's right in that it's a mountain out of a molehill. This will soon pass.

NOW...

Far as Monty saying they should be told what to say, how about this: STICK TO GOLF. If you got a mic in front of your face, talk about golf. A professional golfer is a guy who plays the game at a high level. Outside of that skill, they're most likely not adept at other things...like being politically correct, or not saying potentially inflammatory things. They're not diplomats necessarily graced with eloquence - they hit a golf ball very well. Period.

As well, humor is a very dicey thing anyway. Some can pull it off, even stuff that's near the line of racial or insensitivity...but those are usually professional humorists, who, going with my logic thread here, probably suck at golf. You wouldn't ask such people how to hit a knockdown shot.

Case in point. Here's a George Carlin clip where he uses the n-word. In fact he uses a lot of 'inflammatory' language. But after watching, would you consider Carlin a racist? No. He was brilliant at making his point. He was a "professional" humorist who could pull it off -

So no, Monty. Nobody is going to 'tell' you what is correct to say & what isn't. That discretion is granted to you when there's a mic in front of your mouth. Use it wisely & stick to what you know. That would be my advice.

Been a Carlin fan for 25 years, the guy was far more than a comedian, he was a Sufi or a cosmic prankster even a brain washer. I read an article where he spoke about this technique, where he would use the comedy to put people in a vulnerable state (consiousness-wise) and when people were open he would try to implant ideas and concepts that would better the human race. Brilliant and fascinating man.

And I agree whole heartedly with the whole aspect of intent and context playing a major role in whether or not a word is "bad". Unfortunately for Sergio, in his case the context was two people who really don't like each other and the intent was taking a shot at another person. FAIL.

• Upvote 1

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Ernest Jones

I would say he has 3 speeds:

Busted swing, can't play for Sh*t = still good enough to be considered in the top portion of any field

Naturally Dominant = can beat anyone

Super-Naturally Dominant = will beat anyone, even with a broken leg

Correct as always Ernest. But you don't have that kind of success by holding back. The only difference between two and three is how many stroke he wins by.

My point was, I don't think he knows how to take it easy on anyone whether he likes them or hates them. Then again, the only thing I know about the guy is what I see on TV.

Jon

Correct as always Ernest. But you don't have that kind of success by holding back. The only difference between two and three is how many stroke he wins by. My point was, I don't think he knows how to take it easy on anyone whether he likes them or hates them. Then again, the only thing I know about the guy is what I see on TV.

Trust me, I'm FAR from always right. I am married you know.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Well, when it comes to golf anyway. Besides, there's a reason they refer to our wives as "the better half".

Jon

Monty has fallen head first into the trap.  He keeps talking about it and making the mountain bigger.  Guys like him just can't shut up.  Eventually, he will say something dumb.  That is how this whole cycle works.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Originally Posted by boogielicious

Monty has fallen head first into the trap.  He keeps talking about it and making the mountain bigger.  Guys like him just can't shut up.  Eventually, he will say something dumb.  That is how this whole cycle works.

He already said something dumb.  That whole "we don't know what we can say" nonsense to be exact.

From the reported reaction of the people in the room, despite being Europeans who we are now being told didn't know it was a racial slur, they did know it was a slur.  From Sergio's comments about not being able to sleep, his heart coming out of his body, etc., he knew it was a slur.  From the extensive speech codes in England, it is obvious that certain things cannot be said.

Seems to me that the only people who do not acknowledge that it was, in its essence, a racial slur, are the people who would have said the same thing themselves.  And that speaks volumes about them.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

Originally Posted by Fourputt

If he didn't know what he was saying, he wouldn't have used it as a reply to what he saw as a joke.  There would have been no possible reason for him to respond that way if he didn't know what it meant.

That is the thing.  What are the odds that someone would say the same thing except they say "We'll serve him tuna salad every night" and then it turns out that tuna salad has some kind of negative connotation for the person's racial group.  It is the specific choice of fried chicken that is the smoking gun.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

It is always curious to me how when someone makes a racist comment, so many people get annoyed that people are offended and say everyone needs to "lighten up". I'd say its probably a good idea to come out and condemn racists, even if it means we are ruining their good clean fun.

Originally Posted by Beachcomber

This thread typifies today's society.  190+ post... While the Ken Venturi thread has 12 post.

What's your point?  There is no controversy about a person passing away naturally.  Not much to say.  I wasn't a fan so I have even less to say.  It has no impact on my life.

On the other hand, any sort of bigotry, even if by misunderstanding is always going to be a hot topic.  I find nothing surprising about it.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

I am agree that Sergio is a jerk, but you have to accept the fact that your ignorance is probably at the same level as Garcia's, Sergio is Spanish, not mexican, so why is he going to eat tacos, pick a map, you probably think Spain is just below mexico right? second Spanish rice is not even related to the spanish food, that dish do not even exist.

I am agree that Sergio is a jerk, but you have to accept the fact that your ignorance is probably at the same level as Garcia's, Sergio is Spanish, not mexican, so why is he going to eat tacos, pick a map, you probably think Spain is just below mexico right? second Spanish rice is not even related to the spanish food, that dish do not even exist.

They must have at least a few Taco Bell locations in Spain.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

A racist comment need not be negative. It is simply a stereotype based on race. A lot of people will say dumb shit like, "I'm not racist, in fact I admire the fact that all black people have rhythm." The fact of the matter is that that statement is no less and no more racist than the comment, "all black people love fried chicken." Or, "Asians are great at mathematics." Or, "Jews really know finance." You are making a blanket statement and applying it to an entire group of people based solely on their race. That is racist. Ps. This isn't really directed at Jerrytimes but I'm on an iPhone and can't multi-quote so I chose his post to put mine in context. My post is directed at anyone who believes that racist comments only come in the negative variety, that is simply not true.

I can't agree with you at all. Stereotypes and Racist comments are two completely different things. Sure, everything you stated above is a stereotype but none of them are negative.

In my bag:
Driver - Diablo Octane 10.5*
Fairway Wood - Diablo Octane 15*
Hybrid -  Edge 21*
Irons - X20's 4I - 9I
Wedges - X20's PW/SW
Putter - White Ice 1
Ball - Warbird

Originally Posted by turtleback

He already said something dumb.  That whole "we don't know what we can say" nonsense to be exact.

From the reported reaction of the people in the room, despite being Europeans who we are now being told didn't know it was a racial slur, they did know it was a slur.  From Sergio's comments about not being able to sleep, his heart coming out of his body, etc., he knew it was a slur.  From the extensive speech codes in England, it is obvious that certain things cannot be said.

Seems to me that the only people who do not acknowledge that it was, in its essence, a racial slur, are the people who would have said the same thing themselves.  And that speaks volumes about them.

My Gawd, is whininess some kind of Euro trait? First Sergio, and now Monty feigning this 'we don't know what to say' tripe. Of course he knows what, and more importantly, what NOT to say.. He's had a long, testy relationship with the media, so acting dumb is, well, dumb.

Now sure. Can the media trump up something? Absolutely. Case in point - I now live in Miami, and they're all about the NBA playoffs and their beloved Heat. They're playing the Pacers in the Eastern Conference finals. The coach of the Pacers, Frank Vogel, was "quoted" as saying the Heat was just another team, and the local media castigated him for it. But that's not what he said. He said the Heat were the next team his team had to beat if they wanted to win the championship. Somehow that got turned into Vogel disrespecting the Heat.

So yes, that kind of stuff happens with the media. But this stuff with Sergio & Monty doesn't fall into that category. Sergio said something really stupid, and then Monty tries to put the onus on the media. Stop it already.

It's simple, as others have suggested, keep your discussions with the media focused on golf if you're concerned about saying the wrong things here.  Sergio knew he was using a racial stereotype to get a few laughs, let him own it rather than make excuses for him.

Joe Paradiso

Note: This thread is 3887 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!