IGNORED

Sergio Garcia states racial remark towards Tiger Woods

tmac20
Note: This thread is 3888 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Has Sergio Garcia officially taken this too far?

• Yes. He shouldn't have said that.
    • No. That remark wasn't racist.

I guess it's one of the things you only understand if you are american. So I won't comment on the actual story.

But: Is fried chicken the stuff they serve at KFC? Does that actually taste well if made properly? I only had KFC once in my life (there are (almost?) none of them in Switzerland), and if my memory serves me right, it wasn't great.

Of course that was a racist comment!  If he had said, "we're going to serve macaroni and cheese" it wouldn't have made any sense at all.  And seriously, how can anyone still be making fried chicken jokes.

And yes, fried chicken is delicious.  KFC is also delicious but it depends on the actual franchise.  I like Popeye's chicken if I were to choose.

Occam's razor

It was a derogatory racist remark....and it wasn't even a clever joke.

What's In My Bag...
Driver: Callaway Razr X Black 10.5*
FW / Hybrid: Nike T40 4W 17* / Nike CPR 24*
Irons: Callaway Razr X HL 5I-SW
Putter: Nike Method Core Putter
Balls: Nike PD Soft

You have to remember that Sergio's idol was Seve Ballesteros

Once, Seve was paired with Chi Chi Rodriguez, the commentator asked if there were a lot of conversation on the course since both speak Spanish. At that point, Seve pointed out that he speaks Spanish but Rodriguez was speaking Hispanic. There you go.

I guess I look at what being racist is differently.  To me, a racist comment would be something that was negative based on that persons race.  To me, while the comment is stupid, it's just stating a stereotype.  Tiger is also Asian, if he said he'd serve some sesame chicken, would you still think it's racist?  People need to relax.

A racist comment need not be negative. It is simply a stereotype based on race. A lot of people will say dumb shit like, "I'm not racist, in fact I admire the fact that all black people have rhythm." The fact of the matter is that that statement is no less and no more racist than the comment, "all black people love fried chicken." Or, "Asians are great at mathematics." Or, "Jews really know finance." You are making a blanket statement and applying it to an entire group of people based solely on their race. That is racist. Ps. This isn't really directed at Jerrytimes but I'm on an iPhone and can't multi-quote so I chose his post to put mine in context. My post is directed at anyone who believes that racist comments only come in the negative variety, that is simply not true.

• Upvote 2

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

And I'll add that I don't believe that Sergio is a racist, Sergio is simply an idiot. Making an ill advised racist comment does not automatically make one a racist, I believe their is a matter of intent and belief. If someone utters such a comment in a poor attempt at humor without actually believing the stereotype they aren't really a racist, but they certainly are (at least temporarily) an idiot.
  • Upvote 2

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

That was definitely a racist comment - but a really stupid one. Fried chicken is fantastic and I might even hang out with Sergio if he served it every night, lol. I think, most importantly, this gives us a glimpse into the real Sergio. Often made out to be a "nice guy" by the golf press ....but underneath he is just as bad (actually worse) than Tiger. Sergio = Shooter McGavin.

Not so much racist as just plain stupid. Using a 'fried chicken' joke/line in reference to a black person in 2013 is a feeble, laughable attempt at racially-tinged humor. And it stopped being funny a decade & a half ago when Fuzzy said it.

Gawd, at the very least, get with the times, Serg.

No wait. At the very least, shut the f up.

Dumb a** Sergio... SMH.  Because the recent racist behavior of Spanish fans in soccer, Formula One and Basketball, I personally cannot give Sergio the benefit of the doubt here.

• Upvote 1

Originally Posted by JerryTimes

Quote:

Originally Posted by RonTheSavage

Let someone talk long enough they will show you who they really are. That remark was racist as hell. You would think Sergio would keep a lower profile after the players.

I guess I look at what being racist is differently.  To me, a racist comment would be something that was negative based on that persons race.  To me, while the comment is stupid, it's just stating a stereotype.  Tiger is also Asian, if he said he'd serve some sesame chicken, would you still think it's racist?  People need to relax.

Racism is a basis of hate. Not just hating one person. People confuse racism and stereotypical behavior all the time. I am Italian and I have heard about spaghetti, pizza and mafia ad nauseum . Irish hear about drinking and celebrate by eating corned beef for St. Paddy's day. Saying a race has a food they prefer is just stating a generalization. I still think he was stupid for saying it. The only person that makes this joke funny was Dave Chappelle.

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

Originally Posted by topspin4hand

Dumb a** Sergio... SMH.  Because the recent racist behavior of Spanish fans in soccer, Formula One and Basketball, I personally cannot give Sergio the benefit of the doubt here.

Isn't the assumption of Spaniards as racist a racist assumption in its own right?

The definitions of racism may be a bit vague. [QUOTE]Racism is usually defined as views, practices and actions reflecting the belief that humanity is divided into distinct biological groups called races and that members of a certain race share certain attributes which make that group as a whole less desirable, more desirable, inferior or superior .[/QUOTE] Stating that one ethnicity or group of people is prone to like some kinds of food more than others, is not what I would define as racism. Everyone can se that there's a difference between a colored person and a caucasian person, but once we say that one is black and the other is white, it's racism? Sergio's comment is more a stereotypical slur. Is it racist to make jokes about a Dane eating cheese? Or a Russian drinking vodka? Or a British drinking tea? His comment was stupid, but not racist in my opinion. Sergio clearly does not like Tiger - he may even hate him -, but hating one person that happens to be black is not the same as hating all black people beause they are black.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

I'm watching morning drive right now and, of course, the guys are going on and on about this and the whole "tiger / sergio feud". I personally get the feeling that this "feud" is extremely one-sided and tiger could hardly care less about what Sergio says. If anything, I bet tiger is glad Sergio made this comment because, after the dust settles, we probably won't hear much from Sergio about tiger woods for a while v

Keep digging Sergio.  Keep digging.  Sergio's intent was clear.  Seems like he is as bad at making jokes as he is a winning majors.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

1. Sergio shut your mouth

2. The guy is from Spain, not the US so I have to give him the benefit of the doubt.

3. Sergio shut your mouth

4. Sergio shut your mouth

5. Sergio shut your mouth

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

No, b/c I am not saying anything about all Spaniards. I pointed towards those Spanish fans that painted their faces black, made monkey gestures and sounds towards Black sports figures - all questionable at best actions.  Sergio's actions were also questionable at best.

SMH

Originally Posted by Wansteadimp

Isn't the assumption of Spaniards as racist a racist assumption in its own right?

Totally agree.  On Morning Drive, someone said this has been a "back and forth" and I thought to myself, "no it's not." Tiger hasn't really offered much, beyond his initial explanation.  Sergio has seemingly and freely expanded his commentary from the actual incident on the 2nd hole, to his feelings for Tiger generally.  And now this ... he really made his bed on this one.

Originally Posted by AmazingWhacker

I personally get the feeling that this "feud" is extremely one-sided and tiger could hardly care less about what Sergio says.

Then again, "downright moronic" pretty much sums up the whole Sergio vs. Tiger thing. They both need to grow up and act like professionals. The media is feeding off it and blowing it way out of proportion, but a "no comment" response by both of them when prodded by the media would shut the whole thing down.  You can't maintain a fire if there's no fuel. As to the OP, "Channeling Fuzzy" was the first thing I thought when I initially read the comment too.

It's not Tiger who's keeping this thing alive its Sergio, egged on by the media. This was a dead issue until some idiot reporter brought it back up by asking Tiger if he was going to apologize, his response was "No". Then another idiot reporter brings it up to the whiny one and instead of letting it go, he makes the fried chicken comment. The media needs to let it go and Sergio needs be quiet and focus on blowing another tournament.

my get up and go musta got up and went..

Note: This thread is 3888 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!