IGNORED

2013 Crown Plaza Invitational at Colonial Discussion Thread

mvmac
Note: This thread is 3975 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Expert Picks: Crowne Plaza Invitational at Colonial
Expert Fantasy selections Projected champion
Rob
Bolton
Chris Kirk, Matt Kuchar
Henrik Stenson, Kevin Streelman
Henrik
Stenson
This week’s strategy demands veterans and/or those with experience at Colonial. The bonus is that all four of these guys are playing well.
Mike
McAllister
Zach Johnson, Matt Kuchar
Martin Laird, Charl Schwartzel
Charl
Schwartzel
Tee to green, Schwartzel was the most effective player last week at the HP Byron Nelson Championship. He'll figure out his putter problems this week.
Chris
Dunham
Ben Crane, Jim Furyk
Zach Johnson, Charl Schwartzel
Zach
Johnson
The obvious picks are rarely coming through, yet we continue to ride them in this unpredictable season. I worry about Crane and Schwartzel each going for the third week in a row but saw enough positive signs recently to roll the dice with both of them at Colonial.
Helen
Ross
Tim Clark, Rickie Fowler
Zach Johnson, Hunter Mahan
Tim
Clark
Two of Clark's 11 career runner-up finishes have come in this event (2008, 2009). Currently tied for 38th in FedExCup points, Clark is third on TOUR in driving accuracy which certainly won't hurt in the winds of Texas.
Ryan
Smithson
Freddie Jacobson, Zach Johnson
Hunter Mahan, Kevin Streelman
Kevin
Streelman
I might be worst fantasy player on the planet -- I just noticed that this will be my first start for Streelman this year. Cue the jinx! Zach Johnson (four top-10s in a row at Colonial, two wins) is a no-brainer here.
Bill
Cooney
Angel Cabrera, Rickie Fowler
Freddie
Jacobson
Jacobson continues to register top 25s, as he finished T17 at HP Byron Nelson for his eighth top 25 in 10 events. Also had a T15 at Valero so we know he likes Texas. Johnson is a given with his two wins in three seasons, Rickie Fowler and Angel "Hacksaw" Cabrera are solid picks in the wind.
Anne
Detlefsen
Rickie Fowler, Chris Kirk
Martin Laird, Kevin Streelman
Chris
Kirk
Kirk ranks seventh in Strokes gained-putting and hasn't missed a cut since January. He's finished 16th (2011) and tied for 5th (2012) in his last two starts at the Crowne Plaza Invitational.
John
Schwarb
Matt Kuchar, Kevin Streelman
Kevin
Streelman
We asked in a poll on Sunday night, who among this year's first-time winners would be the first to win No. 2? A lot of signs point to Streelman, the winner at Innisbrook, given how he's continued to pour on high finishes since his win (T3, T6, T2) and he has no statistical weaknesses. He'll keep it in play at Colonial and have a great chance.
Amanda
Balionis
Jim Furyk, Zach Johnson
Charl Schwartzel, Kevin Streelman
Zach
Johnson
Zach Johnson is to the Crowne Plaza Invitational what Steve Stricker is to the John Deere Classic. The two time champ (2010,2012) simply has this course figured out and you can't deny the 9-time PGA TOUR champion's confidence and skill at this stop.
Brian
Wacker
Charley Hoffman, Zach Johnson
Martin Laird, Ryan Palmer
Ryan
Palmer
He didn't have the best track record at Colonial prior to last season's tie for fifth but Palmer hasn't gone through the TOUR's four Texas events without a single top 10 since 2009. Palmer has made seven of eight cuts on TOUR but hasn't broken 70 on Sunday in any of those events. Maybe this is the week.
Bryan
Mullen
Jim Furyk, Tommy Gainey
Morgan Hoffmann, Jeff Overton
Jim
Furyk
Furyk has struggled a bit in his last three events, but finished T3 at the Valero Texas Open in early April. He feels comfortable at Colonial and was fourth here last year after back-to-back rounds of 68 during the weekend.
John
Swantek
Zach Johnson, David Lingmerth
Charl
Schwartzel
The two runners-up at THE PLAYERS, along with the 2-time Colonial champ have earned their place in my foursome. But the South African (3rd at the Nelson) is one of the premier ball strikers in the game; exactly what this old track demands.
Sean
Martin
Zach Johnson, Matt Kuchar
Kevin
Streelman
He missed the cut here last year, but he's finished no worse than sixth in his past three starts. Oh, and he won earlier this year at the Tampa Bay Championship. He's definitely the hot hand.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Went out on a limb with my picks this week. Jason Dufner, Boo Weekly, Ben Crane, and Ryan Palmer.

Always enjoy watching this tournament for some reason.

Going with Kevin Streelman, Matt Kuchar, Ricky Fowler, and Charley Hoffman.

In The Bag:

Driver: None

3 Wood: None

5 Wood: Bobby Jones by Jesse Ortiz

2 Iron: Spalding Top Flite 73

4-PW: Giga Golf C510 Pursuit

60 Degree Wedge by Titleist 

Putter: Wilson Harmonized Augusta

Ball: Slazenger Raw Distance Feel

http://espn.go.com/dallas/golf/story/_/id/9311036/jeff-overton-dqd-colonial-using-putting-aid

Quote:

With threesomes going off the Nos. 1 and 10 tees after the weather-suspended second round was completed earlier Saturday, there was a backup when Overton's group had completed the ninth hole. He went to a nearby putting green while waiting to tee off at No. 10.

Soon after coming off the course, Overton tweeted "3 group back up at the turn. Rules official tells me we can practice chipping and putting. Disqualified for using my practice putting aid!"

Interesting.  I didn't realize players could use practice facilities mid-round.  Apparently Overton didn't realize you can use the facilities, but not with the use of training aids, which is expressly written in the rule.

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

• Administrator
Originally Posted by bplewis24

Interesting.  I didn't realize players could use practice facilities mid-round.  Apparently Overton didn't realize you can use the facilities, but not with the use of training aids, which is expressly written in the rule.

You can always practice putting and chipping on the tees, greens, and practice facilities (the PGA Tour usually has a local rule about not practice putting on the green after holing out, however).

See Note 2 below.

7-2 . During Round

A player must not make a practice stroke during play of a hole.

Between the play of two holes a player must not make a practice stroke , except that he may practice putting or chipping on or near:

a. the putting green of the hole last played,

b. any practice putting green , or

c. the teeing ground of the next hole to be played in the round, provided a practice stroke is not made from a hazard and does not unduly delay play (Rule 6-7 ).

Strokes made in continuing the play of a hole, the result of which has been decided, are not practice strokes .

Exception: When play has been suspended by the Committee , a player may, prior to resumption of play, practice (a) as provided in this Rule, (b) anywhere other than on the competition course and (c) as otherwise permitted by the Committee .

PENALTY FOR BREACH OF RULE 7-2 :

Match play – Loss of hole; Stroke play – Two strokes.

In the event of a breach between the play of two holes, the penalty applies to the next hole.

Note 1: A practice swing is not a practice stroke and may be taken at any place, provided the player does not breach the Rules .

Note 2: The Committee may, in the conditions of a competition (Rule 33-1 ), prohibit:

(a) practice on or near the putting green of the hole last played, and

(b) rolling a ball on the putting green of the hole last played.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Rooting hard for Boo Weekley right now. One of the most fun guys to watch when he's playing well.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Originally Posted by jamo

Rooting hard for Boo Weekley right now. One of the most fun guys to watch when he's playing well.

Fantastic ball striking from him today. Missed a few short putts that would have really put him out of reach.

Glad I went with him in my fantasy picks this week.

Booooooooooooooo! Up to 6th in the FedExCup rankings.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Boooooooooooooo!!!! Love his swing. I saw it in person once and immediately I was blown away by the rhythm. TV doesn't do him justice. What a sweet swing. Guy peppered the flag stick all day. Someone get this guy a putter he can aim (or teach him green reading... not sure which was the issue... could be a combo of both)!

Constantine

Yeah, if he could putt he would be a serious threat out there.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Were Kuchar and Weekly using graphite shafted irons?

Hunter Bishop

"i was an aspirant once of becoming a flamenco guitarist, but i had an accident with my fingers"

My Bag

Titleist TSI3 | TaylorMade Sim 2 Max 3 Wood | 5 Wood | Edel 3-PW | 52° | 60° | Blade Putter

I highly doubt it. Weekley's did look black, but KBS does make some dark-colored steel shafts.

In my bag:

Originally Posted by jbishop15

Weekley plays Cleveland 588 MB irons with Aldila Prototype graphite shafts.

Kuchar plays Aerotech SteelFiber i95 Constant Weight S-Flex

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Scott Stallings' meltdown on 15 was absolutely painful to watch.  Boo was striking the ball well and upheld his reputation as a great iron player.  I think the thing I enjoyed most was listening to Feherty's post-round interview of Weekley - two great accents going back and forth!

Mac

WITB:
Driver: Ping G30 (12*)
FW:  Ping K15 (3W, 5W)
Hybrids: Ping K15 (3H, 5H)
Irons: Ping K15 (6-UW)

Wedges: Cleveland 588 RTX CB (54*, 58*)

Putter: Ping Scottsdale w/ SS Slim 3.0

Ball: Bridgestone e6

Nice final round from Delaet....

Titleist 913D2 9.5 (UST VTS 65)

Titleist 913F 15 (Diamana S+)

Titleist 913H 19 (Diamana S+)

Titleist 714 AP2 (4-PW) (DG XP-95)

Titleist Vokey SM5 (52,56,58) (DG XP-95)

Ping Anser 2 Classic

Wow Jeff Overton is a whiny jackass about the DQ. Learn the rules dick and dont bitch when you're too dumb to read them.

:tmade: R1 Driver
:tmade: Burner 18.5 Wood
:tmade: Rocketballz 19 Rescue

:mizuno: MP-59 4-PW Irons
:cleveland: CG16 52, 56
:cleveland: Classic Mallet Putter

:bridgestone: e5 Ball

Originally Posted by Mac62

Scott Stallings' meltdown on 15 was absolutely painful to watch.  Boo was striking the ball well and upheld his reputation as a great iron player.  I think the thing I enjoyed most was listening to Feherty's post-round interview of Weekley - two great accents going back and forth!

Off topic a little, but how many major meltdowns has Stallings had on Tour? It seems like almost every time he is in contention he finds a way to blow it!!!

Note: This thread is 3975 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!