IGNORED

Question about Scramble format rules.

MyrtleBeachGolf
Note: This thread is 3976 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Our seasons first scramble ended with -4 as winner (three groups in total), our group was par. There are no strings, no mulligans etc to be bought.

This was our 3rd mixed couples scramble in this summer series tourney. It's a 2 person scramble, and the winners have shot 63 each time. The men's 2 man division winner shot 62.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by MyrtleBeachGolf

This was our 3rd mixed couples scramble in this summer series tourney. It's a 2 person scramble, and the winners have shot 63 each time. The men's 2 man division winner shot 62.

We had 2 person family scramble today, mostly with wife-husband pairs with sum of HCs somewhere between 20-40. Best gross score was by a couple with HC total 1,3, lady was on + side. They shot 64, seven under. Ended up third

Rules sheet specifically stated that you can putt short tap-ins before someone else trying for birdies.

Originally Posted by Fourputt

In all of the many scrambles I've played, the rule is always that you may take the tap-in while still continuing to putt for the lower score  This is done in the interest of speeding play.

Assume for the following example that the putt is for birdie and the tap-in is for par.  The way I've always seen it played is if the par tap-in is taken out of rotation and made, then the remainder of  the team can continue to try for the birdie.  If the tap-in is missed, then that cancels any further attempts at the birdie.   For that reason, we make darn sure that the tap-in really is a short one, usually less than 12".  Any more than that we mark.

This, 100%.

I've never once heard of anyone being reprimanded or on the receiving end of snide remarks for actually tapping in a gimmie in a scramble. Hell, I've been around and on teams that didn't even put in that much effort and considered it good. The first guy putts to within 2' and picks his ball up, while the remaining 3 all miss as well and all 4 walk off of the green with par. I guess it depends on who you are playing with and around.

But, I have seen someone miss the tap-in and get a bogey on the hole when the scorer at the hole saw it happen.

I've seen tournament guidelines stating it both ways. More common is the holed ball is the final score. But as loose as the scrambles I've played in are it's usually unnecessary because they've sold string. Last one I played in allowed for the purchase of up to 2' of string per hole. The only time we actually putted something in is if it was a long putt that hit the hole and dropped. One guy in our group used 4-5 mulligans at $3 a pop trying to get one near the hole so we didn't burn through string after we left ourselves a tough, long putt. I only play in them to try and win closest to hole and long drive. The charity scrambles are just long days of excess for me, not worth the hangover.

Dave :-)

I play a lot of scrambles for charity events. They can be fun and a good way to support a charity.

First putt to 2" -- likely to pick it up in our group. Even in a two person scramble, one of you will make a 2" putt. BUT, we do not hole out. What if it was 10" and short? That 10" tap in could help others see the break. On my teams, we try to never do anything to give an unfair advantage but, other than that we don't play to strictly. After all, the rules are not real golf. You may place your ball within a club length so you can often create a good lie in the rough. But placing back in the fairway after the shot your using is in the rough, that's "an unfair advantage." Pretty situational ethics.

Russ - Student of the Moe Norman swing as taught by the pros at - http://moenormangolf.com

Titleist 910 D3 8.5* w/ Project X shaft/ Titleist 910F 15* w/ Project X shaft

Cobra Baffler 20* & 23* hybrids with Accra hybrid shafts

Mizuno MP-53 irons 5Iron-PW AeroTech i95 shafts stiff and soft stepped once/Mizuno MP T-11 50.6/56.10/MP T10 60*

Seemore PCB putter with SuperStroke 3.0

Srixon 2012 Z-Star yellow balls/ Iomic Sticky 2.3, X-Evolution grips/Titleist Lightweight Cart Bag---

extra/alternate clubs: Mizunos JPX-800 Pro 5-GW with Project X 5.0 soft-stepped shafts

To the original poster:  Once the ball is holed, hole is over.  And trust me, my wife can walk up to a 3" putt and actually MISS the darn thing!  Then what happens if your birdie putt comes up 6' short ... and you both MISS that one?!  Putt both balls.  Mark both.  Play your best opportunity until the ball is holed.

Comments on cheating in scrambles.  A couple years back, I played in a flighted scramble based on the collective hdcps of each team.  If you had one single-digit player, you were automatically in the A (best) flight.  We were in the B flight with a bunch of 12-18 hdcp guys.

We played an 8-some with another team at the bottom of our flight.  None of played any  better than a 24 hdcp.  They were not good at all.

Imagine my surprise when the card they turned in said MINUS TWELVE!!!!  They didn't make 4 birdies the whole day and had a bogey or two IIRC.  We played right along side them the entire 18 holes!  We couldn't believe it.

Guess some folks are more interested than winning an umbrella or a dozen balls than being standup guys.

dave

The ultimate "old man" setup:

Ping G30 driver
Ping G Fairway woods - 5 and 7 woods
Callaway X-Hot #5 hybrid; Old school secret weapon
Ping G #6-9 irons; W and U wedges
Vokey 54 and 58* Wedges
Odyssey Versa Putter
Golf Balls

Originally Posted by dave s

To the original poster:  Once the ball is holed, hole is over.  And trust me, my wife can walk up to a 3" putt and actually MISS the darn thing!  Then what happens if your birdie putt comes up 6' short ... and you both MISS that one?!  Putt both balls.  Mark both.  Play your best opportunity until the ball is holed.

dave

Once again, that all depends on what is ordained for that particular tournament.  This is obviously NOT universal, and your statement doesn't make it so.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Originally Posted by dave s

Comments on cheating in scrambles.  A couple years back, I played in a flighted scramble based on the collective hdcps of each team.  If you had one single-digit player, you were automatically in the A (best) flight.  We were in the B flight with a bunch of 12-18 hdcp guys.

We played an 8-some with another team at the bottom of our flight.  None of played any  better than a 24 hdcp.  They were not good at all.

Imagine my surprise when the card they turned in said MINUS TWELVE!!!!  They didn't make 4 birdies the whole day and had a bogey or two IIRC.  We played right along side them the entire 18 holes!  We couldn't believe it.

Guess some folks are more interested than winning an umbrella or a dozen balls than being standup guys.

dave

This is funny. This reminds me of an annual Legion Post scramble that is held at Emerald Weeds (Emerald Woods). Some of these guys are pounding donuts and beers to the point of annihilation at 7AM and stagger around the course, which is conveniently stocked with "shot holes" and "liquor girls", and then have the audacity to turn in a card with -14 as they're slurring over their steak dinner.

These are the same guys that talk bs about rules during the round as well when they're pounding tequila and jager for breakfast....

I played in this damn thing twice and never will again.

I know, but damn it I hate cheaters!

Note: This thread is 3976 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!