IGNORED

Should I get new irons fitted?

Note: This thread is 3981 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hey guys,

I just purchased a new set of mizuno mp64's on the internet (should be arriving in the next couple days). The set is standard specs w/ DG S-300 shafts. As I bought them online, I sacrificed an up-front custom fitting session so that I could get a much cheaper price than retail. For the record I have been hitting 767's (tommy armour knock-off's from 1988), however I have a handicap of 8. That being said it was definitely time for an upgrade.

I am wondering what the value is in bringing my new irons into a golf shop when I get them to be "fitted". I am going to stick with the DG S-300 shafts so I would just be looking at club dimensions and what not. Is there a great value in spending extra money on this? If so, how much would a fitting session like this cost/what should it include?

Thanks!

In the Bag:
:titleist: 913 D3 - 9.5* - Diamana Stiff 62g
:mizuno: MP 64s 3-PW - DGS300
:cleveland: CG12 52* & 56*
:tmade: Rosa

You've already purchased the sticks, so why bother?

After you hit them, find a hole on a course with no one on it, and a bag of your regular golf balls, and see if the clubs are consistent with each other on solid contact. If you've got the 7i going as far as the 6i, you might have a problem. If you have consistent separation between clubs, at least you know they'll work for you.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

If you're an 'average size' person, you may not need fitting.  I think I'd at least see if I couldn't find someone to check the lie angel on the clubs.  That's the biggest variable I know of that can be fairly easily adjusted now you've got the sticks.  I don't know what it would cost, but a few minutes with a lie board should tell the story, and then there would likely be some per club charge for the actual adjustment.  I'm no expert, but believe if they have the right machine it is a fairly simple thing to adjust lie.

Driver: Titleist 913 D2 10.5*, Aldila RIP Phenom 50

Fairway 1: Titleist 913F, 17*, Titleist Bassara W55

Fairway 2: Titleist 913F, 21*, Titleist Bassara W55

Irons: Titleist AP1 714 5-PW, Aerotech Steelfiber i95

Wedges: SCOR 4161 48/52/56/60, Genius 9

Grips: GolfPride New Decade Red Mid-size on all of the above.

Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2 - Super Stroke Slim 3.0

A place like Golfsmith can bend the clubs for your correct lie. Well worth it to get them right for your body size.

Russ - Student of the Moe Norman swing as taught by the pros at - http://moenormangolf.com

Titleist 910 D3 8.5* w/ Project X shaft/ Titleist 910F 15* w/ Project X shaft

Cobra Baffler 20* & 23* hybrids with Accra hybrid shafts

Mizuno MP-53 irons 5Iron-PW AeroTech i95 shafts stiff and soft stepped once/Mizuno MP T-11 50.6/56.10/MP T10 60*

Seemore PCB putter with SuperStroke 3.0

Srixon 2012 Z-Star yellow balls/ Iomic Sticky 2.3, X-Evolution grips/Titleist Lightweight Cart Bag---

extra/alternate clubs: Mizunos JPX-800 Pro 5-GW with Project X 5.0 soft-stepped shafts

You might get the loft and lie angles checked. A local pro says when he fits irons for players, he always checks them for factory specs once they arrive. He said one or two clubs usually need to be tweaked.

• Upvote 1

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by WUTiger

You might get the loft and lie angles checked. A local pro says when he fits irons for players, he always checks them for factory specs once they arrive. He said one or two clubs usually need to be tweaked.

This...

Go to a shop and get the lofts/lies checked. You should expect to pay 3-5 per club if they need to be adjusted. Just checking them should be minimal if no adjustments are needed. Make sure to hit off the lie board. This is about as custom of a fitting as you will likely need. If you start looking at lengths then it could get pricier quickly and then you would have been better off going with the whole route of a custom fit.

When I bought my last set of Titleist irons, I knew that I was standard length, a degree up, and what shaft suited my game so I waited and just did the loft/lie adjustment (with the lie board). I was out the door for under $40 bucks (3-PW).

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

If you already bought them, you can have a Proshop make minor adjustments for you. I did this with a gorgeous set of Titleist DCI Oversize + (Black) that I found at a garage sale for $50! I got them re-shafted with True Temper TT Lite XL R a flex and Golf Pride Velvet Lite grips after going to Golfsmith and getting "fitted." I played those sticks (still have them) happily for a long time... until I got my Cleveland Gunmetal TA-5s w/ Sensicore shafts. I got them at Golfsmith as well on friends & family night for just under $300 (w/ a free stand bag) and had them custom made. It is worth it to get fitted one way or another because every person is different: body size, grip pressure, swing speed, address position, etc. I know I hit the DCIs better after getting them tweaked and the TA-5s are still in my current bag striking happy chords every round. Good luck with your new set of sticks!

Driver: Adams TightLies Titanium High Launch Max COR (10.5°) R Flex Graphite SuperShaft Lightweight Mid Kickpoint, GolfPride Multicompound Grip

Fairway Wood: Ping G20 4-Wood (16.5°), R Flex Ping TFC 169F Shaft, Ping ID8 Grip | Hybrid: Ping G25 (23°), Ping TFC 189H Shaft, GolfPride Tour Velvet Grip

Irons: Cleveland TA-5 Gunmetal R Flex True Temper Sensicore Shafts, BlackWidow Widowmaker Black/Black Grips: 5-I (27°) 6-I (30°), 7-I (33.5°), 8-I (37°), 9-I (41°), PW (45°)

Wedges: Cleveland Tour Action REG 588 Gunmetal Dynamic Gold Sensicore Shafts, BlackWidow Widowmaker Black/Red Grips: 51°/6, 57°/10, LW 64°/8

Putter: Carbite Polar Balanced DC, Tiger Shark Oversized Grip 31"

Note: This thread is 3981 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!