IGNORED

Really Fast Players

65Mustnag
Note: This thread is 3951 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I have an unusual issue. I play at a club that has very light play during weekday mornings. I generally tee off around 7:30AM and finish 18 holes walking in just less than 3 hours playing as a single. The club has a number of other members that go out as singles in a cart and basically play speed golf finishing 18 holes in an hour and change. They expect everyone else on the course to move aside and let them play through even if there are a couple of groups bunched together playing at a 3 hour rate. While letting faster players play through is proper golf etiquette, when you have to let the same groups through everyday it gets sort of annoying especially since you are playing at an acceptable pace. Of course, the solution is just let them tee off before you but they don't necessarily play at the same time everyday. The course doesn't have tee times during the week because of the light play. Any thoughts?

My opinion is that there should be some latitude given whether you are the one waiting or the one "holding" others up. Most people seem to be pretty cool, but there are others... not so much.

Yesterday, my son and I were playing at a slower pace because of the twosome in front of us (ironically, we let them go ahead of us at the first hole). They weren't real slow but we would wait until they cleared the green or fairway before teeing off - even if we couldn't reach them. However, the people behind us (older couple) were just chomping at the bit. I thought at times they'd crossed the line as far as taking shots too soon.

I almost always walk when I'm by myself and it is not uncommon for me let people play through. There have been plenty of times where I'm waiting on slower players but I've yet to have anyone let me go ahead. Waiting is not that big of a deal unless, for example, someone is purposely screwing off.

I think it's kind of like vehicle traffic. There are some who have an idea of what proper driving etiquette is, and then there are some who treat it like a NASCAR event.

Jon

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by 65Mustnag

I have an unusual issue. I play at a club that has very light play during weekday mornings. I generally tee off around 7:30AM and finish 18 holes walking in just less than 3 hours playing as a single. The club has a number of other members that go out as singles in a cart and basically play speed golf finishing 18 holes in an hour and change. They expect everyone else on the course to move aside and let them play through even if there are a couple of groups bunched together playing at a 3 hour rate. While letting faster players play through is proper golf etiquette, when you have to let the same groups through everyday it gets sort of annoying especially since you are playing at an acceptable pace. Of course, the solution is just let them tee off before you but they don't necessarily play at the same time everyday. The course doesn't have tee times during the week because of the light play. Any thoughts?

Why is it annoying?  The last time I played a course that was empty enough to have any singles playing was last year with my wife.  We got to around the 13th or 14th hole and saw a single coming up behind us.  She's a beginner and I certainly wasn't in any rush (I like golf!) so we knew he'd catch us on the next hole.  So we hit our tee shots, then drove slowly to the balls, pulled over to the side, waved him to hit, then drove up behind him as he drove to his ball, then hit when he was out of range.  And that whole exchange probably cost us, at most, 5 minutes.  We had another single come up on us a few holes later and the same thing happened.

So, I guess I don't understand why it would be annoying to let a faster player play through, if it's only costing you a couple of minutes, and you've already admitted you're not in a big rush.

Also, recognize that this is a classic "first world problem."  I need to learn how to create one of those meme's with the crying lady that says something like "My club is so slow during the week that I don't need a tee time and can finish in 3 hours ... but I have to sometimes let faster players play through."

Gotta agree with GD. If a single is playing at a sub 2-hour pace, you'll never miss a beat letting him through. Let him hit with you from the tee and he'll likely be gone before you're ready to hit your next shot. And BTW, kudos for your quick play too! :-)

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

If the speedy cart guys want to play through, let them skip a hole or tee off with you and then cart to there ball while you're walking. I often skip a hole. I cannot recall the last time I played through in the traditional way. I never even ask. If there is clear air ahead of the group, I simply drive by at a good time and say, "I'm going to skip this hole. I'll be gone in a minute." I've offered to let groups through but not played through myself. And I can not recall the last time anyone behind me asked to play through before I suggested it.

Russ - Student of the Moe Norman swing as taught by the pros at - http://moenormangolf.com

Titleist 910 D3 8.5* w/ Project X shaft/ Titleist 910F 15* w/ Project X shaft

Cobra Baffler 20* & 23* hybrids with Accra hybrid shafts

Mizuno MP-53 irons 5Iron-PW AeroTech i95 shafts stiff and soft stepped once/Mizuno MP T-11 50.6/56.10/MP T10 60*

Seemore PCB putter with SuperStroke 3.0

Srixon 2012 Z-Star yellow balls/ Iomic Sticky 2.3, X-Evolution grips/Titleist Lightweight Cart Bag---

extra/alternate clubs: Mizunos JPX-800 Pro 5-GW with Project X 5.0 soft-stepped shafts

Why is it annoying?

So, I guess I don't understand why it would be annoying to let a faster player play through, if it's only costing you a couple of minutes, and you've already admitted you're not in a big rush.

They expect everyone else on the course to move aside and let them play through even if there are a couple of groups bunched together playing at a 3 hour rate.

I understand why I'd be reluctant to let someone play through if I was waiting for others ahead of me. If there's no one in front of you, that's a no-brainer. Let them play through. But if they leap frog everyone, wouldn't it cost you more that a couple minutest? Maybe that's proper etiquette, I really don't know. Being new to the game, I simply try not to piss too many people off.

By the way, what's the rule or etiquette when there's league play going on? I always just start the back nine. I'm thinking you'd be S.O.L. if you wanted to get through that.

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

Also, recognize that this is a classic "first world problem."  I need to learn how to create one of those meme's with the crying lady that says something like "My club is so slow during the week that I don't need a tee time and can finish in 3 hours ... but I have to sometimes let faster players play through."

I guess the cry'in lady would be appropriate for those of us who have to wait for others as well. Maybe you could come up with an emoticon (or whatever they're called) that mimics someone crying and wiping their tears with balled up fists.

Jon

I really think if you are keeping up with the folks in front of you, you are doing all you can be expected to do.  I catch up with people pretty regularly.  If there is open space in front I start wishing they would let me thorough, mostly they are nice and do when it is convenient.  If they are keeping up with the people in front of them, well... suck it up.  It's a game, not a time trial of some sort.

Driver: Titleist 913 D2 10.5*, Aldila RIP Phenom 50

Fairway 1: Titleist 913F, 17*, Titleist Bassara W55

Fairway 2: Titleist 913F, 21*, Titleist Bassara W55

Irons: Titleist AP1 714 5-PW, Aerotech Steelfiber i95

Wedges: SCOR 4161 48/52/56/60, Genius 9

Grips: GolfPride New Decade Red Mid-size on all of the above.

Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2 - Super Stroke Slim 3.0

Originally Posted by David in FL

Gotta agree with GD. If a single is playing at a sub 2-hour pace, you'll never miss a beat letting him through. Let him hit with you from the tee and he'll likely be gone before you're ready to hit your next shot.

And BTW, kudos for your quick play too!

Plus, if you let him play through there is a good chance he will muff the shot while you watch!  I have done this a few times.

• Upvote 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Originally Posted by boogielicious

Plus, if you let him play through there is a good chance he will muff the shot while you watch!  I have done this a few times.

True dat!  No greater pressure for the average golfer than playing through.  First tee jitters are nothing compared to that!

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

The only time I see letting them play through being annoying is when you have several groups bunched up playing at an acceptable pace.  As others have said, letting a fast single on a cart play through it not tough at all, but I can see it as a different story if the single is trying to play through 3 groups at once.  In that case, they should either be patient or skip ahead as suggested above.

:mizuno: MP-52 5-PW, :cobra: King Snake 4 i 
:tmade: R11 Driver, 3 W & 5 W, :vokey: 52, 56 & 60 wedges
:seemore: putter

I agree it is a no brainer to let faster players though..  But the key word is the EVERY DAY part.  Also, what is people's opinion about speed golfers.  It is sort of a little out of the box.  I would say the "normal"  range of play for 18 holes is 3 hours on the quick side and 4:30 on the slow side.   Playing 18 in an hour is way out of the box!!  Playing real fast impacts almost as many players as slow play does if the fast player insists on playing through everyone.  As someone who can play in less than 3 hours with no one else on the course, I tend to play to the speed of the players in front of me as long as they are on a 4 hours pace.  I would never ask to go through and usually decline an offer to play through by saying -"No problem, take your time.  I'm in no rush."  To me that is the right way to play.

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

Here you go.

To the OP... I don't see the big deal... They're playing faster than you, move aside. No need to be annoyed. Players playing faster is good for the game, especially when arguably the games biggest problem is slow play.

• Upvote 1

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5°) · PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15° and 21°) · PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22°, 25°, and 28°) · PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) · Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50°, 55°, 60°) · Edel Classic Blade Putter (32") · Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour · Pinned Prism Rangefinder · Star Grips · Flightscope Mevo · TRUE Linkswear Shoes · Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

Be helpful and tell me how to correct it without setting up a new ID.

Sorry, no amnesty on typos around here, you gotta wear that hat for life now. :-D 65Mustnag, lol, I thought my wife had started an account when I first read that.

• Upvote 1

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Originally Posted by tristanhilton85

Here you go.

To the OP... I don't see the big deal... They're playing faster than you, move aside. No need to be annoyed. Players playing faster is good for the game, especially when arguably the games biggest problem is slow play.

Well done sir!  Maybe this will now go viral!

I agree it is a no brainer to let faster players though..  But the key word is the EVERY DAY part.  Also, what is people's opinion about speed golfers.  It is sort of a little out of the box.  I would say the "normal"  range of play for 18 holes is 3 hours on the quick side and 4:30 on the slow side.   Playing 18 in an hour is way out of the box!!  Playing real fast impacts almost as many players as slow play does if the fast player insists on playing through everyone.  As someone who can play in less than 3 hours with no one else on the course, I tend to play to the speed of the players in front of me as long as they are on a 4 hours pace.  I would never ask to go through and usually decline an offer to play through by saying -"No problem, take your time.  I'm in no rush."  To me that is the right way to play.

If the part that is annoying you is being passed by the same guys each day, have you thought about starting a few minutes later and thus, being behind them from the start?

Regarding your question about "speed golf"....     Considering that 4 players playing at 13 minutes per hole would be done in about 4 hours, I don't think 10 minutes a hole (3 hour round) is quick or even "normal" for a single.   IMHO, roughly 7 minutes a hole for a single is more in line and that would be just over a 2 hour round.

Razr Fit Xtreme 9.5* Matrix Black Tie shaft, Diablo Octane 3 wood 15*, Razr X Hybrid 21*, Razr X 4-SW, Forged Dark Chrome 60* lob wedge, Hex Chrome & Hex Black ball

I tend to disagree with a two hour round being normal for singles.  Maybe on the flat courses but up in the north there are some long hilly courses with elevated tee boxes.  I actually do 2:45 walking.  At the course I play, the men's league is notorious for 3 hour nine hole rounds!!  I'd like to see the speed golfers go through them!!!  They won't let you because "they are league play."  I play other courses on those days.

Note: This thread is 3951 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!