IGNORED

Really Fast Players

65Mustnag
Note: This thread is 3932 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Years ago in Cincinnati there used to be this group than ran the course.  They played with two clubs, iron and a putter and ran between shots.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by 65Mustnag

I tend to disagree with a two hour round being normal for singles.  Maybe on the flat courses but up in the north there are some long hilly courses with elevated tee boxes.  I actually do 2:45 walking.  At the course I play, the men's league is notorious for 3 hour nine hole rounds!!  I'd like to see the speed golfers go through them!!!  They won't let you because "they are league play."  I play other courses on those days.

In the summer, as a single with nobody else on the course I play in about two hours. However, that is in a cart. I would think walking would add a bit more time; 2:45 seems about right for a single walking on an open course. A 3 hour nine hole match is absolutely ridiculous no matter if it is league play or not.

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5°) · PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15° and 21°) · PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22°, 25°, and 28°) · PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) · Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50°, 55°, 60°) · Edel Classic Blade Putter (32") · Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour · Pinned Prism Rangefinder · Star Grips · Flightscope Mevo · TRUE Linkswear Shoes · Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

In the summer, as a single with nobody else on the course I play in about two hours. However, that is in a cart. I would think walking would add a bit more time; 2:45 seems about right for a single walking on an open course. A 3 hour nine hole match is absolutely ridiculous no matter if it is league play or not.

Because if you are out in that desert heat any longer than 2 hours you'll probably burst into flames. It's not really by choice that you play that fast. ;)

Because if you are out in that desert heat any longer than 2 hours you'll probably burst into flames. It's not really by choice that you play that fast. ;)

Come on.......it's a dry heat! ;-)

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

I play golf at my speed. I don't doddle, I don't spend ridiculous amounts of time searching for lost balls...I generally finish 9 holes in 2 hours ish walking.

However, I do have the common decency to recognize that people are playing faster than me. If I notice on the 4th hole that someone is waiting in the tee box behind me, and there has been no one behind me all morning, I can safely assume that their rate of play is faster than mine. I generally don't wait until the tee box to waive them past...I'll just give em the waive and step behind a tree and let them play through.

However, if I am waiting to pass the group in front of me, I won't waive the group behind be until I have passed...seems fair to me.

R7

Edge 3-SW with Apex4 Steel shafts

Burner 2.0 AW

Putter

Street Shoes

Glove

Originally Posted by David in FL

True dat!  No greater pressure for the average golfer than playing through.  First tee jitters are nothing compared to that!

What's funny is, every time I've ever played by myself and a group let me play through, I've hit a PGA style tee shot. Every time...I don't get it...

Maybe I need the crowd? Haha.

Ryan M

The Internet Adjustment Formula:
IAD = ( [ADD] * .96 + [EPS] * [1/.12] ) / (1.15)

IAD = Internet Adjusted Distance (in yards)
ADD = Actual Driver Distance (in yards)
EPS = E-Penis Size (in inches)

With all due respect.

No offense but cry me a river.  That's great speed for a golf course - first I commend YOU for your brisk pace of play, but there shouldn't be any complaints against another group who is sub-2 hours. Perhaps you should reassess your situation relative to other people on other courses in other cities before complaining about your "first world problems" as the user above so hilariously put it.

That being said, with all due respect of course, enjoy your quick rounds and don't mind the carters zooming through!

I have always been under the policy that a single or two-some has no priority on the golf course.  If I am playing and they are behind me and there is room in front to let them go through and they will actually not impede me, I will let them through.  However, if there are groups ahead of me, even if they are a hole ahead or so, I am not letting them play through.  They can form a foursome at the first tee or get more players to play with them.  Just my opinion and YRMV.

Happy Gilmore was a Hack!

Originally Posted by ilikefishes

I have always been under the policy that a single or two-some has no priority on the golf course.  If I am playing and they are behind me and there is room in front to let them go through and they will actually not impede me, I will let them through.  However, if there are groups ahead of me, even if they are a hole ahead or so, I am not letting them play through.

I agree

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

I have always been under the policy that a single or two-some has no priority on the golf course.  If I am playing and they are behind me and there is room in front to let them go through and they will actually not impede me, I will let them through.  However, if there are groups ahead of me, even if they are a hole ahead or so, I am not letting them play through.  They can form a foursome at the first tee or get more players to play with them.  Just my opinion and YRMV.

I typically play in a twosome or by myself, and I'm fine with this. As long as the foursome in front of me is moving at a good pace, I feel no need to play through, I'll just hit a few extra pitches, chips, and putts after I hole out. Gives me some practice time.

Ryan M

The Internet Adjustment Formula:
IAD = ( [ADD] * .96 + [EPS] * [1/.12] ) / (1.15)

IAD = Internet Adjusted Distance (in yards)
ADD = Actual Driver Distance (in yards)
EPS = E-Penis Size (in inches)

• Administrator

I have always been under the policy that a single or two-some has no priority on the golf course.  If I am playing and they are behind me and there is room in front to let them go through and they will actually not impede me, I will let them through.

That's the key point. They have just as much priority on the course as you do, but if there's nowhere to go, then you don't need to let them through at all. If there's room, then you let them through.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I come up on people quite often when playing, because I play solo, in a cart, most of the time. Sometimes I'll turn down the offer to play through and play an extra ball or off the tee. However if I'm still coming up on them doing that I'll accept the offer. I can play 18 walking in close to 2 hours if I don't get held up by other golfers and don't stop at the turn to grab food/drinks. That's not playing fast, that's just hitting my ball, walking to it and hitting it again.

The league I'm in is notoriously slow, and it drives me nuts. When I'm playing well, if my pace of play gets slowed way down or I have to stop for awhile to wait, sometimes I lose whatever rhythm I was in and my game goes downhill. That makes me very frustrated.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

Quote:
Originally Posted by David in FL View Post

Gotta agree with GD. If a single is playing at a sub 2-hour pace, you'll never miss a beat letting him through. Let him hit with you from the tee and he'll likely be gone before you're ready to hit your next shot.

And BTW, kudos for your quick play too!

What really stinks is when I'm that single.  Playing great, catching a group, they are super decent and pull aside to let me through.......

that's usually when I turf out a couple shots in a row and am embarrassed to be holding them back for a couple shots while I get my act together...

Quote:

Certainly no obligation to let them just butt up against the next group for no gain.  But I'll waive them to hit to me, anyway, and offer to let them join me.  If they decline, it's on them to wait for me to keep going.  When I make the offer, I am VERY clear that this is the option I'm offering.  "We are backed up by the groups in front of me, so I'm not offering to let you play through, but you are welcome to finish the round with me.  My name is......etc etc etc"

Quote:
I typically play in a twosome or by myself, and I'm fine with this. As long as the foursome in front of me is moving at a good pace, I feel no need to play through, I'll just hit a few extra pitches, chips, and putts after I hole out. Gives me some practice time.

I like this too.  Slow groups ahead, no one behind.....great time to play an extra ball, try other shots......enjoy golf whenever Speedy McPushpush is absent.  Though I'd rather play through.

Bill - 

At the course I play, the men's league is notorious for 3 hour nine hole rounds!!  I'd like to see the speed golfers go through them!!!  They won't let you because "they are league play."

You should check with the pro shop on this. Any club I have ever been a member of basically closes the course during league play. If they did let others out while league play was going on, it was understood that those golfers would not be playing through any league matches. I guess you can say it's one of the "perks" to paying $100 bucks to be a member of the league...

Originally Posted by mvarley84

I play golf at my speed. I don't doddle, I don't spend ridiculous amounts of time searching for lost balls...I generally finish 9 holes in 2 hours ish walking.

However, I do have the common decency to recognize that people are playing faster than me.

You are not playing slowly.

A four hour round on a normal course is good speed.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

Originally Posted by Shorty

You are not playing slowly.

A four hour round on a normal course is good speed.

I can't imagine taking 4 hours to play a round of golf by myself. Even when I played worse than I do now I never took that long, even walking. Of course, that's not to say taking that long is too slow or wrong, just seems slow to me.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

Originally Posted by boogielicious

Years ago in Cincinnati there used to be this group than ran the course.  They played with two clubs, iron and a putter and ran between shots.

Done this with a couple guys from work. Really really fun. We used push carts and had all our clubs though. Finished 18 holes in 1.25 hours. Awesome workout too!

R7

Edge 3-SW with Apex4 Steel shafts

Burner 2.0 AW

Putter

Street Shoes

Glove

Originally Posted by Jeremie Boop

I can't imagine taking 4 hours to play a round of golf by myself. Even when I played worse than I do now I never took that long, even walking. Of course, that's not to say taking that long is too slow or wrong, just seems slow to me.

Not when there's a foursome in front playing at a reasonable rate. There's only so many groups who want to let a single through when there's nowhere for him to go. If he's on the course on his own, yes it is slow, but then the speed becomes a moot issue.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

Note: This thread is 3932 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!