IGNORED

Searching for a new driver shaft

Note: This thread is 3675 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'm currently using the Rocketballz regular flex driver and am finding that my swing speed is too fast for this shaft. The stock Matrix Ozik shaft is very whippy and I think it's time to upgrade to a stiff shaft. (No matter how many times I say stiff shaft it sounds funny).

Anyway, are there any you would suggest? I don't want to spend a boatload on it so my budget is under a hundred bucks. My driver averages distances between 240 and 270 and I have a slight slice I fight 25% of the time. Tested out on the machine and I was looking at 135-145 ball speed on the simulator.

Any suggestions for aftermarket shafts? Hard to judge the stick without using it and I just don't know the major differences between the brands. I really like the Fujikura FUEL shaft that's on the Cobra Amp Cell, so that's all I got so far..

Thanks!

:titleist: 913 D2 w/ Oban Kiyoshi Purple :ping: G25 3 Wood w/ Graphite Design Tour AD-DJ6 :titleist: 913H 21* w/ Diamana Blue :ping: G25 4 - PW :vokey: SM4 Oil Can - 52, 56, 60 :cameron: Studio Select Newport 2 :golflogix: :bushnell: Tour V3

There are so many shafts out there, a lot of them can very well suit you.  The question is to figure out why your current shaft isn't working for you.  Other than being too whippy, could it also be too light?  Do you like the current overall length?  Those factors are something to think and not just finding a shaft to fit your swing speed.

You mentioned about a slight slice you're fighting.  25% of the time is enough to take a look into whats going on.  Are you just opening up your hips too early, coming over the top, ..etc  How does the transition feel to you so far?

Acer XF Ti 10.5 / GDI G60
Mizuno JPX 825 Hybrids 16* and 19* / Steel Fiber HLS75
Mizuno MP H4 (4-PW) / Steel Fiber i95 cw
Titleist Vokey 50,54,58
Odyssey ProType Tour #7

Originally Posted by Stuffs

There are so many shafts out there, a lot of them can very well suit you.  The question is to figure out why your current shaft isn't working for you.  Other than being too whippy, could it also be too light?  Do you like the current overall length?  Those factors are something to think and not just finding a shaft to fit your swing speed.

You mentioned about a slight slice you're fighting.  25% of the time is enough to take a look into whats going on.  Are you just opening up your hips too early, coming over the top, ..etc  How does the transition feel to you so far?

What I did was I took my driver into a Golf Town here in city and compared statistics to 4 different drivers. Since I had a regular flex I compared them all to Stiff flex because the whippy'ness if you wanna call it was mostly on my down swing. I tried the 913 D2, PING G25, Cobra Amp Cell and the R1. I produced almost the same shots with all drivers except the Cobra Amp Cell. The slice was partly due to my downswing and once I was able to correct that it disappeared...

Although I'm a firm believer that the club is not the key, the Amp Cell is really helping my drives. The forgiveness on mishits are amazingingly good. E9 technology for the win.

Thanks for your reply man!

:titleist: 913 D2 w/ Oban Kiyoshi Purple :ping: G25 3 Wood w/ Graphite Design Tour AD-DJ6 :titleist: 913H 21* w/ Diamana Blue :ping: G25 4 - PW :vokey: SM4 Oil Can - 52, 56, 60 :cameron: Studio Select Newport 2 :golflogix: :bushnell: Tour V3

Shaft recomendations is a tough subject. Two people who hit the driver the same distance can have very differnt shafts due to swing speeds, tempo and all sorts of other differences. Saying that, the Prolaunch Red with Speed Coat is a great shaft for a great price. Then consider having the shaft pured. There is a lot of good information on shaft selection on golfclubshaftreview.com

Hope this helps

The original RBZ shafts have a reputation for being too soft.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Maybe look at Arthur Extreme shafts from golf works. They play a bit stiff so you might look at regular in a 6.0 or a stiff in the 5.0. Prolaunch Blue Or Proforce V2 Both good options.

I second the pro force V2. A great shaft for the price- I played it in 3 of my past drivers. Very stable!

In the bag-

Driver- Ping Anser 9.5  Diamana Ahina
3 Wood-RBZ tour 15
Hybrid-RBZ tour 4 Irons-  Ping I20s 4-GW with soft stepped X100sWedges 58 and 54 SM4s with soft stepped X100s Putter- Ping TR Senita

I've just started using the project x 7c3 6.0 stiff 73g in my driver and I absolutely love it!!! Feels just right for my swing speed of just over 100 mph. Worth a try if you haven't already!!!

What's In My :: 9" Lightweight Stand Bag

R9 9.5 Degree Stiff Motore 65g
G10 3-Wood v2 Proforce High Launch Stiff
R7 Draw Rescue 3 + 4 Irons i15 green dot, + 1/2 inch- 5-PW 54+60 SM Tour Chrome Studio Style Newport 2 35 inch NXT Tour BallHome Course: http://www.ruffordpark.co.uk

Thanks all.

I jumped the gun and got a new driver that fit my game more but I'm going to test it out at the range tomorrow. If it isn't what I thought I'll be returning it and going with the Proforce v2, thanks all for the input!

I just bought a new driver 2 weeks ago. I tried numerous drivers with numerous different shafts and got a combination of what I could afford plus what gave me the best numbers and consistency on the trackman my local golf shop has. I suggest going in when you are legit ready to buy and having someone help you out doing the same.

I really wanted this Matrix Ozark Black Tie 7M3 HD shaft but they wanted an extra 225 with my Nike driver, lol. WAYYY out of my comfort zone so I just stuck with the a Tour shaft on my Performance driver head. Much better than the stock Performance driver shaft and didn't cost me a thing. Well, that's a lie, it cost me about 3 weeks of waiting, because the shaft is on Backorder until June 7th.

2013 Nike VR_S Covert Performance Driver

2013 Nike VR_S Covert Perfomance 15° 3W

18° Burner 1.0 Superlaunch Rescue Hybrid

:mizuno: 4-PW MP-69 Irons

50°, 54° & 58° ATV wedges

Classic Collection #1 Black Putter

:bridgestone: Tour B330 Balls

2013 Tour v3 Laser Rangefinder w/ Jolt Technology

You don't know what pressure is until you play for five bucks with only two bucks in your pocket. -Lee Trevino

Originally Posted by robrey85

I just bought a new driver 2 weeks ago. I tried numerous drivers with numerous different shafts and got a combination of what I could afford plus what gave me the best numbers and consistency on the trackman my local golf shop has. I suggest going in when you are legit ready to buy and having someone help you out doing the same.

I really wanted this Matrix Ozark Black Tie 7M3 HD shaft but they wanted an extra 225 with my Nike driver, lol. WAYYY out of my comfort zone so I just stuck with the a Tour shaft on my Performance driver head. Much better than the stock Performance driver shaft and didn't cost me a thing. Well, that's a lie, it cost me about 3 weeks of waiting, because the shaft is on Backorder until June 7th.

You basically did what I should've originally done lol. I went and got the UST Proforce V2, 77g stiff shaft and hit it today... beautiful. It's EXACTLY what I wanted. It's a bit lower ball flight than I'm used to but I actually like it better. Like you said, I can't believe how much some of those other shafts are.. for the price of the Proforce ($63 Cdn) it's a steal.

I'm envious you got to hit your new stuff immediately. I'm frothing at the mouth to receive my new driver and take it out on the course already, haha.

You don't know what pressure is until you play for five bucks with only two bucks in your pocket. -Lee Trevino

I'm envious you got to hit your new stuff immediately. I'm frothing at the mouth to receive my new driver and take it out on the course already, haha.

Waiting to get it in the mail? Update on the proforce v2 shaft.... Awesome. Best tweak I've made in years.

Originally Posted by saturday

Waiting to get it in the mail?

Update on the proforce v2 shaft.... Awesome. Best tweak I've made in years.

Nah, well, kind of. I bought it from my local golf shop and they're waiting for it from Nike so technically, yes. Haha.

Great to hear! Gives me hope with what I am soon going to have in my possession!

• 9 months later...
Note: This thread is 3675 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!