IGNORED

My Swing (ckermes)

ckermes
Note: This thread is 3931 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I've been Playing Golf for: 1 year only been serious though for about 2 months

My current handicap index or average score is: 90-92

My typical ball flight is: lowish

The shot I hate or the "miss" I'm trying to reduce/eliminate is: the slice

Videos:

Any help you guys may have would be very helpful. This was one of the worst days I have had at the range all spring so all my flaws will hopefully be evident.

Driver: TBD

Irons: Taylormade MC 3-PW Steel

Wedges: Cleveland CG-15 56° and 60° 

Putter: Ping Karsten with Super Stroke grip

Ball: Callway Hex Chrome

Thought I'd give this a shot.

I notice that you start turning your hips very fast to initiate the downswing and then pull your arms through afterwards which I used to do myself until recently. Unfortunately, this style of swing will often leave you open at impact and create that high fade/slice we all hate. Also, I find it actually causes a power drain rather than generating more clubhead speed as one might expect.

Instead, try focusing on starting your downswing with the arms and let your hips turn naturally to get out of the way (concentrate on the arms and the hips will start turning with them without even thinking). The fast hip turn should happen through the lowest point of your swing to generate maximum clubhead speed through impact rather than at the top where it is wasted.

I have been working on a one piece takeaway which is helping me square the club at impact. My problem now is an outside in swing path. I have been trying to shorten my backswing and keep my right elbow from fish tailing out. Are there any drills that will help me with my swing path?

Originally Posted by ckermes

I have been working on a one piece takeaway which is helping me square the club at impact. My problem now is an outside in swing path. I have been trying to shorten my backswing and keep my right elbow from fish tailing out. Are there any drills that will help me with my swing path?

Check out this thread for some good info on developing an in-out swing by getting your hands "deep" or in on the backswing:

http://thesandtrap.com/t/30325/deep-hands-explained

For getting your right elbow in specifically, you can try putting something under your arm and holding it there on the backswing to get an exaggerated feel for it.

• 3 weeks later...
Recently I have been hitting the ball well until I start setting up to close to my ball. This causes my arms to just flip around and who I knows where the ball is going to end up. Is anything I can do to work on how far I set up my feet from the ball?

Note: This thread is 3931 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!