IGNORED

What do you need to play par?

Note: This thread is 3963 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by Ernest Jones

I guess it isn't impossible but DAMN, the poster needs to anchor or something...

Not impossible, no.  But when your handicap is north of 20, it sounds pretty ridiculous.

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally Posted by bplewis24

Not impossible, no.  But when your handicap is north of 20, it sounds pretty ridiculous.

What he neglected to say, was that it was a par 3 course.

Ryan M

The Internet Adjustment Formula:
IAD = ( [ADD] * .96 + [EPS] * [1/.12] ) / (1.15)

IAD = Internet Adjusted Distance (in yards)
ADD = Actual Driver Distance (in yards)
EPS = E-Penis Size (in inches)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

JRASCH:

Thailand is in South East Asia, it's where I live now, but I'm from Belgium.

IACAS:

I never spoke about "being a scratch player" , but about "being able to play par" on a course that's not long and not really difficult (say max. 6.500 yards).

These are 2 completely different things.

BPLEWIS24:

My first round without cheating was indeed 56, but I also mentioned I had an unusually bad round.

after this first round, others followed with 47, 50 and today 45 (no cheating anymore!)

I'm always stressed when I play on the course, that's my problem!

SPYDER:

The reason I left out the fairway woods is 2-fold

1) I was talking about a rather short course (max. 6.500 yards), and if your driver and iron distances are any decent, you don't really need fairway woods on a short course.

2) personally, I'm unable to play them and in my experience they are more difficult to master than irons, so why (in the beginning off course) waste time on them?

TO ALL OF YOU

It seems like some people feel insulted because "a beginner who can't even break 90 on a 6000 yards course yet " dares to suggest that many (more experienced) golfers seem

to have a flawed priority perspective and an inadequate way of practicing.

I'm sorry for that!

It was never my intention to insult anyone.

I do however believe that many golfers are overly pessimistic regarding what's needed to "become a decent golfer", who's able to play par from time to time on a not too difficult course

(I'm NOT talking about a scratch player, that's a very good golfer!!!).

Provided the golfer has the minimal physical requirements to be a decent golfer, I do not believe that this has to take much more than 2 years of organised and frequent practice.

I realize that I'm probably underestimating certain aspects of the game, but still, all I can read in here is "how difficult and nearly impossible it is for any average person to become good at golf" , and I just don't agree with that.

It is my intention to prove those pessimists wrong and show them how I do it.

Maybe I'll fail and you'll all be laughing in a year or so, but I really believe in what I say.

Originally Posted by pipergsm

TO ALL OF YOU

Provided the golfer has the minimal physical requirements to be a decent golfer, I do not believe that this has to take much more than 2 years of organised and frequent practice.

I realize that I'm probably underestimating certain aspects of the game, but still, all I can read in here is "how difficult and nearly impossible it is for any average person to become good at golf", and I just don't agree with that.

It is my intention to prove those pessimists wrong and show them how I do it.

You are misrepresenting the situation entirely, as has been the case since the first rebuttal of your case.

I could be glib and say that pessimists are experienced optimists, but that would be making light of the issue.

People are NOT saying "golf is hard, we are all doomed to be mediocre, only the very best can become scratch and only expert players can teach. Not at all.

What they are basically saying is that someone with your limited experience, knowledge and understanding of the game is not in a position to impart wisdom, because, in a nutshell, you don't know what you are talking about.

The only thing that you have really understood about the road to improvement is the importance of course management. That's it.

Yes - you can hit three 8 irons onto a short par 5 from the tee. Yes, it is possible to get into trouble by overpowering the ball.

Problem is, golf is a game, a passion, a lifestyle, even - not a mathematical problem to be solved.

If yopiu read the posts on the forum carefully, you will pick up that we are not really in search of perfection, becuase we know from experience that a good round today means that a poor round will surely follow. Sure, elements of our games improve, but it is never a problem that is solved, boxed and put away.  For most of us, the journey is more fun than the destination.

To have someone imply that chipping onto the green and then two putting most of the time is good putting is evidence of the nonsense you are trotting out.

Go and work on your own game. Don't tell people that 5 is less than 6 and that the fairway is better than the trees. We know. But guess what - the view from the trees means that we get to hit great recovery shots.

Face it. If Bubba Watson had hit that shot from the fairway, we wouldn't still be talking about it.

Write about your own golfing journey if you must. Don't tell us what ours should be, because most of us are enjoying the ride as it is.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

Note: This thread is 3963 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!