IGNORED

"in between" clubs

Note: This thread is 3973 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by rehmwa

thanks, It's good advice, but muscling wasn't one of the options I was even considering.  my 100% is really my comfy 100%, I'm not a fan of trying to get above my comfort zone, too inconsistent.

The first two options were about the method of taking off a little bit.  Choking up vs partial swings.  I'd think that choking up would be more consistent, but wondering who's tried both and how that worked out for them.

(The pitch/chip - option 3 - I guess is a different animal altogether and I should have put that elsewhere...)

Ah, got ya. I feel more comfortable taking a certain percentage off of my full swing then choking down when I'm in between clubs. I'm not good enough to dial in 5 yard increments from 150 (or whatever), so most of my in between shots are generally just above the full swing of a higher club.

Originally Posted by TourSpoon

I would just practice hitting the shots on the range and then when you think you have the feel then go out to the course and use the balls you normally play. Drop 135 from the pin and then start hitting shots progressively shorter with what you did on the range. I never was able to get distances precise with range balls, so this step is critical. Like I said before, I have several short iron swings and it starts by gripping down and then shortening the swing slightly and then to 3/4. With the wedges it really varies and I tend to go by feel that I have just learned through experience. Another thing that I do is to juice it to get 5 extra yards. I don't do anything special except that I feel a little extra through impact. This came with time because most people would go harder from the top, but it is really important to avoid this and just stay loose and give it a little more at the bottom. Anyway, learning these shots are fun. You can also affect yardage with ball placement in your stance and experimenting with ball flight. That would be the next step. Good luck.

this - thanks  (I do try to avoid 'feel', I'm more of a 'calibration' guy, so I have a set of stock shots (to a specific feel, not partial).  this is a good setup you have on the longer irons:  full grip and swing, one choke point with a 90%, and then 3/4 shots.  that gives like 3-6 different distances for each club (plus 'leaning into it for a little extra) from full down to shorter and easy enough to figure out the contribution to distance from each adjust.  I'll try that when my consistency gets better.

I'm simplifying even more now - At my stage, I just need a shot to split the difference - so full swing, and whatever hits the mid point to the next one down.  Any more is silly (for me).  Hoping choke will do it without the other considerations.

I do play with ball placement and launch angle and like the affects quite a bit - that's moving into the realm of 'feel' for me, since it's a bit harder to make consistent with the amount of practice I can devote.  Mostly I think about up/down angle on my shot just for winds, or obstacles (under or over) - that's more than enough for me now.  Fun shots to hit and I just plan to lose about a club or half a club for either shot and that's a good rule of thumb for now.  Maybe up-angle on a longer iron is nice swing to own.....a little more distance and softer landing....

Bill - 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Choking down on the club usually helps me rather than taking an easier if I want to cut down a few yards with my irons. I normally do that for my wedges too when I need less than a full swing. When I try to swing easier, I hit it fat or thin. I'd rather keep my swing consistent and just change the club position.

Best Regards,
Ryan

In the :ogio: bag:
:nike: VR-S Covert Tour Driver 10.5 :nike: VR-S Covert Tour 3W :titleist: 712U 21*
:nike: VR Pro Blades 4-PW :vokey: Vokeys 52*, 56* & 60* :scotty_cameron: Studio Select Newport 2
:leupold:
:true_linkswear: 

Originally Posted by RPMPIRE

Choking down on the club usually helps me rather than taking an easier if I want to cut down a few yards with my irons. I normally do that for my wedges too when I need less than a full swing. When I try to swing easier, I hit it fat or thin. I'd rather keep my swing consistent and just change the club position.

I should clarify when I wrote "take a percentage off my swing". I was referring to the backswing length.

Originally Posted by anthony

I should clarify when I wrote "take a percentage off my swing". I was referring to the backswing length.

That's me - all still with the normal weight/pressure transfer.....the shorter swing takes a lot off.  Just like a full swing and followthrough gets me the most distance

1/2 swing - wrists go to my waist on backswing

3/4 swing - wrists to my shoulders, not a lot of tension in the torso

Full swing - Tension at the top, can see the club head over my left shoulder, full torso turn

these checkpoints seem to help me keep it the same each time

I do a similar thought process with short pitching shots, except I keep my weight and hands forward the entire swing

i'd still rather just swing full each time.....

I think of it as -

partial swings = rough/wide adjust - very effective, but more variation built in - requires more practice or someone with really good feel

choking = fine tune adjust - a bit easier to control and repeat

I really appreciate all the answers in general - real good examples of what works for some might not be the preferences for others.   different strokes

Bill - 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by rehmwa

I do a similar thought process with short pitching shots, except I keep my weight and hands forward the entire swing

i'd still rather just swing full each time.....

I think of it as -

partial swings = rough/wide adjust - very effective, but more variation built in - requires more practice or someone with really good feel

choking = fine tune adjust - a bit easier to control and repeat

I really appreciate all the answers in general - real good examples of what works for some might not be the preferences for others.   different strokes

This is why I choke up. Mostly to make the same swing and just adjusting the club position.

Originally Posted by anthony

Understood. I can only do this with my wedges. I can't really do partial swings with my irons because I end up rushing the downswing. That's probably why I find choking the club works for me.

Either way, being "in between" will let you play an unconventional shot, whether choking down on the club, taking a shorter swing, taking an easier swing, etc. Lots of different styles of play but you just gotta find what works.

Best Regards,
Ryan

In the :ogio: bag:
:nike: VR-S Covert Tour Driver 10.5 :nike: VR-S Covert Tour 3W :titleist: 712U 21*
:nike: VR Pro Blades 4-PW :vokey: Vokeys 52*, 56* & 60* :scotty_cameron: Studio Select Newport 2
:leupold:
:true_linkswear: 

Note: This thread is 3973 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!