IGNORED

Wegman's LPGA Championship Preview & Pairings

Tontj5
Note: This thread is 3532 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

This week the LPGA will hold its second major championship of the year, with the playing of the Wegman's LPGA Championship in Rochester, N.Y. This will be the second of five major championships that will be played in 2013. Four of the next nine tournaments will be major championships, so this would be a great time for these ladies to get their games in tip top shape.

Before I go on with this week's tournament, I would like to look back at the past week's championship.
Once again we had a very exciting finish with Karrie Webb, who shot a final round 68 (only equaled by Paula Creamer and Christie Kerr), defeating Shanshan Feng by 2 strokes. Shanshan, who shot a final round 75, had a chance to win when she birdied the 16th hole, but her bogey on 17 eliminated any realistic chance of overtaking Webb.

The bigger story though, might have been the course itself. The average winning score for this 54 hole tournament over the past 6 years was 15 under par. That would not be the case this year. This course would not play like the one that they beat up on in previous years. The wind was up, the rough was thick, and the greens were hard and fast, resulting in a winning score of four under par. Only 3 players, in a field of 144, managed to break par.

After Friday's round Lexi Thompson teamed up with Natalie Gulbis, and challenged Kathleen Ekey and Brooke Pancake in a unique test of skills. The foursome took swings from a custom built tee on top of Atlantic City's Revel Resort, attempting to hit targets placed along New Jersey's shoreline.

The seven shots they took at targets ranging from 75 to 250 yards away were difficult enough, but the challenge was complicated further with wind gusts of 40 miles per hour. In the end it was Ekey who had the most points, bringing her team to victory.

For the sexy pictures of this event:
http://www.tonyslpgareport.com/2013/06/wegmans-lpga-championship-preview.html

Now on to this week's tournament. This will be tournament #13 of 28 to be played this year.
Here are the key details:

What are your opinions regarding who will be hot this week at the second LPGA major?

Still pondering my choices...

Really wish Golf Channel would just give us more coverage of the PGA Tour when things like this happen. I'd much rather watch the PGA Tour play without commentary than watch last year's Wegmans or images of the girls hitting balls on the range.

Here are the leaders after round 1:

1 Chella Choi -5 F
2 Morgan Pressel -4 F
2 Jiyai Shin -4 F
4 Brittany Lincicome -3 F
5 Se Ri Pak -2 F
5 Jessica Korda -2 F
7 Laura Davies -1 F
7 Ilhee Lee -1 F
7 Anna Nordqvist -1 F
7 Chie Arimura -1 F
7 Angela Stanford -1 F
7 Catriona Matthew -1 F
7 Amy Yang -1 F
7 Mi Jung Hur -1 F
7 Lexi Thompson -1 F

For complete leaderboard:

Here are the second round leaders:

1 Morgan Pressel -6 F
2 Inbee Park -4 F
2 Chella Choi -4 F
4 Sarah Jane Smith -3 F
4 Amy Yang -3 F
4 Jiyai Shin -3 F
7 Sun Young Yoo -2 F
7 Na Yeon Choi -2 F
7 Angela Stanford -2 F
7 Catriona Matthew -2 F
7 Brittany Lincicome -2 F
12 Caroline Masson -1 F
12 Chie Arimura -1 F

For full leaderboard:

Here are the final results:

1 x-Inbee Park -5 F
2 Catriona Matthew -5 F
3 Suzann Pettersen -4 F
3 Morgan Pressel -4 F
5 Amy Yang -3 F
5 Chella Choi -3 F
5 Sun Young Yoo -3 F
5 Jiyai Shin -3 F
9 Shanshan Feng -2 F
9 Michelle Wie -2 F
9 Na Yeon Choi -2 F
12 Anna Nordqvist -1 F
12 Cristie Kerr -1 F
12 Caroline Masson -1 F
15 Ai Miyazato E F
15 Kristy McPherson E F
17 a-Lydia Ko +1 F
17 Brittany Lincicome +1 F

For full leaderboard:

• Administrator
Michelle Wie with two "decent" finishes in a row.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 1 year later...

Didn't see a thread for this event this year?

Anyway, what's with those antics Suzann Pettersen goes through now when setting up to putt? :doh::doh::doh:

I guess whatever works but it just so happened that the first time I saw her do that she missed by a mile.

Didn't see a thread for this event this year?

Anyway, what's with those antics Suzann Pettersen goes through now when setting up to putt?

I guess whatever works but it just so happened that the first time I saw her do that she missed by a mile.

Pettersen seems very uncertain of herself today... doesn't look confident at all so far ... practice swings, the putting thing... the shots.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

+1. I only got to watch a little while before I came to work but she looked like she was obsessed with mechanics. Brittany looked like she was thinking "Watch me rip this thing down the fairway" and not much else. I didn't watch previous rounds and obviously Pettersen had to have been playing very well to be in the final group.

Well, Lincicome got nerrrrrvous and left that putt really, really short and missed the par...

playoff in progress with Inbee ...

Looks as if Lincicome putts off her back foot .... weird ... at least on the missed par putt on 18.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

I never watch LPGA but watched for all of about 15 minutes today... Why are caddies allowed to "double check" their alignment to the target? Sorry but wtf is that? Are they not supposed to be professional golfers?

Callaway XR 9.5 + 1, Taylormade R15 3 Wood, Burner 3 Rescue, Callaway XHot 5H, Warbird 4H, Nike Vapor Fly 6-AW Irons, Titleist Vokey 54, 60 Wedges, Taylormade Rossa Fontana Putter, Srixon Z-Star Tour Yellow.

Best Score 2017:  82 (Traditions at the Glen, Par 70)

Favorite Course - Conklin Players Club (Par 72) - Best Score 86

That's my beef about the LPGA Chris simply not right. I can see if it was a practice round but absolutely not in tournament conditions. Going forward there should be some changes made but heck some viewers out their could care less.

Can't believe how Linsicome lost that tournament after leading all day long. But congrats to Inbee. She made two great putts on 17 and 18 to hang in there.

I attended the first round Thursday and thought Lexi Thompsom would run away with this event.

Good for Inbee but Lincicome totally choked this away.

For those not really into the LPGA its personally one of my favorite things to attend. Good crowds. The golf is competitive still and the ladies are easy on the eyes. Even autographs and conversations are easy.

Note: This thread is 3532 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!