IGNORED

Developing a repeatable swing

Note: This thread is 3761 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. I attribute my reliable golf swing to:

• I was born with excellent hand eye coordination!
    • Hard work, blood sweat and tears!

I see it as physics, and understanding how to consistently deliver the clubhead to the ball through the use of simple motions. Not many people understand what's going on in the swing to know what they're doing wrong...

But to answer your question, I think to:

1. develop a repeatable swing is more hand-eye coordination and understanding the swing.

2. score well (HC < 6) you need practice your butt off.

Well i will have to say it was natural to me, after 12 months of playing golf having never played it before i was playing to a 10 HC.

I had a hard time convincing my local teaching pro in my first lesson i've only been playing 3 months at the range using a set of clubs that cost me £18 from ebay and where 10 years old lol!

Dont get me wrong, i was hitting the ball 300 yards with my driver straight down the middle. I had nice reliable 220yard slice!

But i must admit i did work hard once the lessons started, working on the tips i was given. I would say on average over this year so far i've been to the range twice a week and played 13 holes on ave!

My ball striking is excellant from 7i up to the wedges. 5 and 6 irons are good too. And im a long hitter too by most people although which is not really a great thing.

So, i would say i would need both options. I was a natrual to start which got me hooked and i've been practicing hard ever since. Getting grief now off the Golf friend lol :) !
Superquad 9.5 Stiff
G5 3 Wood Stiff
MP-57 3-PW
R-Series 56 Wedge
52 & 60 WedgesWH #5

• 6 years later...

Digging up an old thread instead of starting an identical one.

+1 to the previous posts of, paraphrasing, "I was good at all sports except golf, particularly ball striking."

I know what good & bad swings are.   I can even produce good one often enough for bogey golfer standard but not often enough to get to the next level.   It seems like when my mind focuses well, I can repeat a good swing seemingly at will.   On 1/2 of the swings, I go blank and before I realize that I am making a swing mistake, I am already in downswing, of past impact.   So, back to the range I go.   What do others do to repeat good swings at will?

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I know what good & bad swings are.   I can even produce good one often enough for bogey golfer standard but not often enough to get to the next level.   It seems like when my mind focuses well, I can repeat a good swing seemingly at will.   On 1/2 of the swings, I go blank and before I realize that I am making a swing mistake, I am already in downswing, of past impact.   So, back to the range I go.   What do others do to repeat good swings at will?

Check out http://purestrike5sk.com/ and read the article, and begin to assess your game in terms of which KEY you want to improve. You'll get better.

If you're not sure, take a look at some Key #1 and 2 drills, if you're solid with those two Keys, you can play some good golf.

• Upvote 1

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Quote:

Originally Posted by rkim291968

Check out http://purestrike5sk.com/ and read the article, and begin to assess your game in terms of which KEY you want to improve. You'll get better.

If you're not sure, take a look at some Key #1 and 2 drills, if you're solid with those two Keys, you can play some good golf.

Thanks.   The drills in steps 1 - 3 are not new to me.   I have done them before.   I guess I just need to continue with the drills until I can go "blank" and still  have a consistent swing.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

[QUOTE name="rkim291968" url="/t/6754/developing-a-repeatable-swing/18#post_931761"] [/QUOTE] [COLOR=181818]Check out [/COLOR][URL=http://purestrike5sk.com/]http://purestrike5sk.com/[/URL][COLOR=181818] and read the article, and begin to assess your game in terms of which KEY you want to improve. You'll get better.[/COLOR] [COLOR=181818]If you're not sure, take a look at some Key #1 and 2 drills, if you're solid with those two Keys, you can play some good golf.[/COLOR] [CONTENTEMBED=/t/61376/5sk-video-thread layout=inline]​[/CONTENTEMBED]

Btw, it does really work. Even the youtube videos they posted are enough to get you started. I have a single swing, that is much more repeatable. Still working on it, and getting much farther in 2.5 months along than in the entire previous year of training. I'm still working on keys 1 to 4. If we catch a round together this spring in NorCal, you can see the results for yourself.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

+1 to the previous posts of, paraphrasing, "I was good at all sports except golf, particularly ball striking."

I'm wondering if you need to work on a better pre-shot routine?  I say this only because I can really identify with your predicament.  I can make some really good swings occasionally, and right afterwards I'm like "well, s**t, that was easy ... why can't I do it every time??"  And, obviously, on the course you can't ever really "get into a groove" like you can on the range, but rather have to wait a few minutes between every shot ... and use different clubs.

I'm pretty sure that the percentage of bad swings I take while playing is higher than while practicing.  Other than the obvious (getting better) I think that maybe I can bring that percentage down with a little better focus.  Maybe I need to stretch out my pre-shot routing a bit, perhaps even include an actual full practice swing.  Otherwise, I'm thinking maybe I'm costing myself strokes while playing because I'm "rushing it."

Not sure if this would help you - heck, don't even know if it would help me - but I have been thinking about it, and since I can somewhat identify with what you are saying, I thought I'd share.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rkim291968

I'm wondering if you need to work on a better pre-shot routine?

Yes, pre-swing helps a lot.  But in my "blank" stage, I even forget the pre-swing routine.   Hence, I suspect part of my consistency issue is mostly mental.    This also partially explains why I am streaky.   If I remember things and focus, I have a nice streak going.   When I blank out, the round ends up being ugly.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Thanks.   The drills in steps 1 - 3 are not new to me.   I have done them before.   I guess I just need to continue with the drills until I can go "blank" and still  have a consistent swing.

Yes you've got to put some time into it and ingrain these feels.  Gotta do it hundreds, thousands of times.  Doing it a for few range sessions here and there (not necessarily saying this to you but to everyone reading the thread) won't be all that beneficial.

Mike McLoughlin

For me.

Playing some pretty good golf very quickly after taking up the game with only the mechanics that came from other sports: No problem.

Taking it to a higher level than that: Somewhere between a bitch and impossible.

I'm damn good at the range, all things considered. And i luv 2 practice. Low scores on the course are a totally different can of worms. One aspect of more success at the course will  be for me to reduce or if possible eliminate thoughts of technique. Such as thinking of anything connected to my body. What does work for me, when i can remember, is to focus on result. On a short pitch, focus on precisely where you want the ball to drop not on the swing. Same with the driver.  One UTube instructor tells us when hitting driver to find a spot on the fairway, way out wonder, and focus all your attention on hitting that spot.  Do not address any troubles, like the pond or OB, but only see where you want to go.  And don't forget that those boys on the TV have been singing this same song since 2,3,4 years old. When did you start?

It's all in your head.
In my bag Driver: Cleveland CG tour black Fairway Woods: Diablo Octane 3 wood; Diablo 5 wood Irons: Mizuno MP53 5-9 Hybrid: Cobra 3, 4 T-Rail Wedge: 46* Cleveland, 50* Cleveland, 54* Titleist, 60* Titleist Putter: Odyssey protype #6 Ball: Maxfli U4/U6... But I'm not really picky about the ball I use.

It's all in your head.

For most golfers it's not.

Mike McLoughlin

• Administrator

I responded in 2007 when this poll and thread was started, but on the subject of developing a repeating swing I've really come to understand that what I thought then is true now, too…

Everyone has a repeating swing.

In fact, that's why most people aren't very good.

The rare good shots the bogey golfer makes? Those are the freak occurrences, the anomalies. You can record swings from people and they'll look almost identical. That's why they're not good - because their swing is not good. It's not because it doesn't "repeat". The problem is that their bad swing is repeatable.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I agree 100%. A bad golfer can have a repeatable swing. I had a repeatable swing, but had poor keys 1-3. I was a 12-15 handicap for over 10 years, with a few really good rounds in the single digits. After my lesson with Erik, I am becoming more repeatable in the right way.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

IMHO, I think with a bad swing, where you're flippy for instance, it's harder to work the ball, curve, height, curve and height let alone maximize power. Plus delicate shots. But I've seen scratch players when you freeze their impact position, have a pretty obvious flip, so many ways to play but I think a 'proper' swing, I guess optimal impact and post impact , you maximize your potential to its fullest.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Note: This thread is 3761 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!