IGNORED

My Swing (bogeysaurus)

Bogeysaurus
Note: This thread is 3944 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Looks like you are not fully turning your shoulders on your backswing.  I can't tell from the video if you're turning your hips enough yet, but keep in mind that at the top of your backswing you want your shoulders to be perpendicular to the target line.  Your hips turning and your shoulders turning together will allow you to make a full turn.

PS: I really like your dog just chilling in the background, haha.  Does he ever chase after the ball?

Originally Posted by iacas

That's fine to say as a "feel" so long as we all understand that the ball is neither compressed nor "pinched" AT ALL between the clubface and the ground…

I'll be the first to say I don't know the technical aspects of the golf swing. I'm a feel guy and I've always been taught to strike down and "compress" the ball. Whether that's actually what is happening or not, I don't care to be honest. Kind of going on the stupid monkey theme, if you tell me to "pinch" the ball, then I'm going to do my best to "pinch" the ball.

Originally Posted by ChiralClubs

Looks like you are not fully turning your shoulders on your backswing.  I can't tell from the video if you're turning your hips enough yet, but keep in mind that at the top of your backswing you want your shoulders to be perpendicular to the target line.  Your hips turning and your shoulders turning together will allow you to make a full turn.

PS: I really like your dog just chilling in the background, haha.  Does he ever chase after the ball?

In my half swing video or full swing video?  The last video I put up was just half swings so I wasn't fully rotating intentionally as I was mostly focusing on the proper release as I rotated through the ball vs scooping.  It feels like if I keep my back leg straight and let my hips "load up" my rotation is better.  Which brings up another question.  Watching my full swing videos and other people's swings, it seems like my arms come to quickly and that I need to intentionally lag them a bit.  This is turning out to be tough right now...what my body naturally wants to do is way wrong.

Haha, yeah I started noticing (I've spent the last two days going in and out videoing myself and trying to see if I changed/fixed anything and he is in most of the videos just watching me.  He is pretty well trained to leave non-toys alone, so far he hasn't eaten any whiffle balls:)

Originally Posted by Bogeysaurus

In my half swing video or full swing video?  The last video I put up was just half swings so I wasn't fully rotating intentionally as I was mostly focusing on the proper release as I rotated through the ball vs scooping.  It feels like if I keep my back leg straight and let my hips "load up" my rotation is better.  Which brings up another question.  Watching my full swing videos and other people's swings, it seems like my arms come to quickly and that I need to intentionally lag them a bit.  This is turning out to be tough right now...what my body naturally wants to do is way wrong.

Haha, yeah I started noticing (I've spent the last two days going in and out videoing myself and trying to see if I changed/fixed anything and he is in most of the videos just watching me.  He is pretty well trained to leave non-toys alone, so far he hasn't eaten any whiffle balls:)

Sorry, didn't realize you were intentionally doing that.  Regarding arm speed, I don't know the official answer on that.  However, what I like to focus on for getting a good downswing sequence is starting my downswing with my hips sliding forward (your upper body does not slide forward; it should stay centered over the ball).  In my experience, the other things will often follow naturally if you just focus on your hips as the initiator.

The lower body looks a lot better.  You still are bringing your left knee too far back.  It also looks like your weight is on your back foot.  Try placing your weight forward more.  It will stop the scooping and might brace that left knee a little more.

Take a look at where Tiger is at impact and try to freeze your video at impact. It's around 8 seconds on the YouTube clip. You would probably have better luck looking at it frame-by-frame on Windows Media Player or whatever program you use. Look how far his hands are ahead of the club. And your's look to be "flipping" the club, almost vertical with the club at impact.

I tried to quiet down my back leg.  I will try the weight a bit forward and see if I can't improve that further.  As far as the hands at impact, I agree they are probably in line with the club face vs the club face lagging the hands.  I might still be flipping a bit but it appears better following impact.  I have to figure out how to get the club face to trail my hands though.  Haven't figured that out yet.

Bad weather has prevented any range practice for a few days so I've only been able to do whiffle balls.  Will be interesting to see what happens with real balls when the rain stops.  It feels a bit better regarding rotation and everything but I still am not sure how to find the feel to get my hands to get ahead of the club face.  I suppose that is the next step.

Thanks for all the feedback!

Note: This thread is 3944 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!