IGNORED

Nominate a Stupid Monkey

Note: This thread is 922 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I am going to ask Marchand to visit you at your house next time he is in Montreal!

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I flung poop at someone the other day, does that count?

Congrats EJ!! Well deserved, you stupid monkey...

Ryan M

The Internet Adjustment Formula:
IAD = ( [ADD] * .96 + [EPS] * [1/.12] ) / (1.15)

IAD = Internet Adjusted Distance (in yards)
ADD = Actual Driver Distance (in yards)
EPS = E-Penis Size (in inches)

Congrats @Ernest Jones, well deserved

Thanks Mike. Looking forward to continuing with the smart, focused practice when/if the freakin' snow ever melts. It's driving me a little batty not being able to practice.

I made this yesterday:

So i can practice the explosion piece indoors while I wait for the range to open.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

• 4 months later...
  • Administrator

@mmoan2

@Jeremie Boop

@CarlSpackler

All three of you recently inquired about becoming a Stupid Monkey. I'm going to allow each of you to nominate yourselves by giving a short speed. Type up a few paragraphs, if you want (because really, if you couldn't care less about the stupid monkey badge, that's fine by me :D), about why you deserve the Stupid Monkey Badge.

Tell us how you have practiced and will practice, and what you're working on.

Make your case.

No need for much length. This is still just mostly for fun. :) But here's your chance. :D

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

@mmoan2

@Jeremie Boop

@CarlSpackler

All three of you recently inquired about becoming a Stupid Monkey. I'm going to allow each of you to nominate yourselves by giving a short speed. Type up a few paragraphs, if you want (because really, if you couldn't care less about the stupid monkey badge, that's fine by me :D), about why you deserve the Stupid Monkey Badge.

Tell us how you have practiced and will practice, and what you're working on.

Make your case.

No need for much length. This is still just mostly for fun. :) But here's your chance. :D

I don't know that I "deserve" the badge, but I do think I've made good progress in trying to become a "Stupid Monkey". Recently I've been able to focus more on one piece at a time starting with the shortened backswing that someone mentioned several times that I need to "fix this". I spent significant time working on slow movements trying to isolate the feel that associated with the real by recording myself. I've realized that by utilizing recording I can really focus on fixing single aspects and finding the feels I need to make the changes easy to repeat and ingrain into my swing. I recently bought some wiffle golf balls so that I can work on things at home in my spare time instead of having to try to make time to go to the range. This allows me to work on whatever my current primary focus is on a more consistent basis. I no longer feel like I need to "hurry up" and get my swing fixed and have embraced the idea that permanent change is only accomplished through focused and methodical practice.

*granted this isn't a couple paragraphs, but I think that would be overkill*

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

I don't know that I "deserve" the badge, but I do think I've made good progress in trying to become a "Stupid Monkey". Recently I've been able to focus more on one piece at a time starting with the shortened backswing that someone mentioned several times that I need to "fix this". I spent significant time working on slow movements trying to isolate the feel that associated with the real by recording myself. I've realized that by utilizing recording I can really focus on fixing single aspects and finding the feels I need to make the changes easy to repeat and ingrain into my swing. I recently bought some wiffle golf balls so that I can work on things at home in my spare time instead of having to try to make time to go to the range. This allows me to work on whatever my current primary focus is on a more consistent basis. I no longer feel like I need to "hurry up" and get my swing fixed and have embraced the idea that permanent change is only accomplished through focused and methodical practice.

*granted this isn't a couple paragraphs, but I think that would be overkill*

Sounds like a stupid monkey to me.

:beer:

Yours in earnest, Jason.

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Can I nominate myself as a Stupid,Stupid Monkey because I can't seem to control myself long enough to be a Stupid Monkey? :8) Well, at least I'm back on track now and made a pact with myself to stay the course, no matter what. I'm working with Stephan and just grinding the drills and repeating "I'm a Stupid Monkey, I'm a Stupid Monkey..." Now, my wife thinks I'm nuts...

Brands I use:

:tmade::cobra: :titleist: 

• 3 weeks later...

Hey, I was actually just kidding about nominating myself for a Stupid Monkey!!! Oh crap, now that I got it, that means I really can't let myself change swing patterns again. That's going to take some serious well power on my part. :cry: I'm proud to say, however, that I'm still diligently practicing the drills that Stephan has given me. Its taken time, but I'm finally starting to make some very good progress! :-D I'm sending in a video for a new lessons tomorrow.

Brands I use:

:tmade::cobra: :titleist: 

• 3 weeks later...

With my new practice setup, commitment to Evolvr, and daily monotonous practice...I feel like I'm definitely a stupid monkey. But I'll let Erik decide in person whether he thinks I've done enough for such a prestigious honor. :-P

Ryan M

• 2 months later...

So, how do I prove that I have earned a stupid monkey badge?

FWIW, through this site and reading "Lowest Score Wins", I believe a key element of being a stupid monkey is to practice with the 5 Simple Keys; i.e to take a simple thought and practice it slowly and correctly, not being overly concerned with "results" (ball direction or speed), as long as I am making the correct move that is my priority. At present, that is Key #3 - inline impact with the left wrist.

Practicing into a net also seems to help with taking the focus off results.

Chris.:roll:

• Administrator
So, how do I prove that I have earned a stupid monkey badge?

FWIW, through this site and reading "Lowest Score Wins", I believe a key element of being a stupid monkey is to practice with the 5 Simple Keys; i.e to take a simple thought and practice it slowly and correctly, not being overly concerned with "results" (ball direction or speed), as long as I am making the correct move that is my priority. At present, that is Key #3 - inline impact with the left wrist.

You can nominate yourself in . :)

Edit: I moved these posts here and added your badge.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

You can nominate yourself in  ​ . :)

Edit: I moved these posts here and added your badge.

Yay! Thank you for believing in my stupidity! :beer:

I'll try to post a "my swing" video soon to add credence to this award.

Chris.:roll:

Has helped me...I golf way better hitting into a net than I do on the golf course. :-D

Ryan M

• 5 months later...

I nominate @Shindig . He's worked with me a couple times and most recently with Stephen on Evovlr. Played with him a couple weeks ago and definitely saw improvements with his swing (picture changed), his ballstriking and pitching. I also think his handicap has gone down but not sure. Can you confirm that @Shindig ? Maybe also talk a little bit about HOW you've gone about being a "stupid monkey"?

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Thanks for the nomination @mvmac . I first posted My Swing on TST back in March 2014 (link in my signature). Comparing the first video to about a year later (I started working with evolvr that summer, although I didn't do much September-December due to being overly busy at work), it's clear the picture has changed -- the swing looks radically different too. The effect is, too; I commented to Mike at the last outing that I hit the middle (or just a yard or two short of the middle) of the green in regulation on a 368 yard par-4 hitting driver, 9-iron. Neither shot felt out of the ordinary, using the new ordinary that has come about as a standard. There was a time not too long ago when I would have had to hit a great-for-me drive and followed it up with a 4-hybrid to get on the green. So the better swing is getting better results (distance primarily, and I'm hitting my driver more accurately too, and that's translating into more and better GIRs). My handicap has dropped, yes. Got it down from a high of 19.1 last summer (17.5 when I started lessons, but some very good "least recent of the 20" rounds were in the books... from 2-3 years prior) to a low of 14.6 (might be lower next week -- I've had two 84s in the past month). One of my best rounds just ran off my handicap, but I've had some good ones in the past week too. I'm optimistic that it will be better come the end of this summer, but I recognize I need to work on the things that lead there (working on my swing appropriately and playing) for this to happen. (I still haven't shot a particularly good score in front of you, but I've hit many good shots with you around.) I used to read a bunch of swing books and think "I can apply that." The resulting mess... well. I got down to high teens, but got stuck there and was wildly oscillating in the high teens when I got back to golf in 2013. You and Erik gave me some priority pieces for my first online lessons, and I saw such a huge improvement I was convinced of the value of online lessons right away. I've stopped trying to think of anything else while practicing except my priority pieces. For my full swing, this means whatever Stephan tells me on evolvr. I haven't even picked up a swing instruction book in a long while, and I don't plan to do so again, and am probably going to donate the vast majority of the "how to swing like X" books to a library soon. After viewing my evolvr lesson, I write on an index card (or similarly sized piece of paper) what I'm going to be working on (as per the lesson), put it in my golf bag, and do that at the range for every shot. I keep another copy of the video on my laptop so I can watch it at work before going to the range, for days when I go to the range after work. I've also become better at treating the range balls slowly; time was, a bucket of 70 wouldn't last me an hour. Now a bucket of 30 does, because I'm not just setting up and hitting. As for faults in my implementation of the "stupid monkey" part, I do sometimes wonder if I should be doing something [i]else[/i] in addition to my evolvr priority pieces; the latest example was whether I should practice the wedge flight shot. This hasn't affected my practice (I also haven't practiced the flighted shots yet, but I plan to do so soon); I certainly don't think about it on the range. I do occasionally self-diagnose shorter shots; for example, I recently noticed (when Mike posted a thread about ball position and pitching) that my ball position had moved back. I spent some time at the short game area my next range trip (I was going to a range that had one) making sure to set up pitches correctly (forward) and hit them.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Congrats @Shindig ! I have been following your swing thread.

Ken Proud member of the iSuk Golf Association ... Sponsored by roofing companies across the US, Canada, and the UK

Kudos @Shindig I actually thought you already had one. I'm usually on my phone so I rarely see people's badges.

Yours in earnest, Jason.

Note: This thread is 922 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!